Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Which cut command is more efficient? Post 302507353 by sumoka on Wednesday 23rd of March 2011 03:07:13 PM
Old 03-23-2011
Experts,

This is slightly beyond my comprehension but let me try to put it in my words to verify.

. combining cat & Cut will cause spawning and will utilize more CPU threads which is fine for smaller files.
. In case of bigger files as in my case, it is better to directly operate the Cut command on the file. This will result in optimum CPU utilization.

Please correct me.

This turned out be little more complex than I though. Thanks.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cut command

how do you show just the used disk space. using the cut and df command?? or does anyone have any other suggestions on how to do it a better way? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rookie22
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut command

Hi, I want to cut from a particular position to a particular position and retain the rest. I tried this cut -c31-51 file1.txt > file2.txt But The characters from the position 31 to 51 were only present in file2.txt. Is there a way to reverse this i.e to retain the rest except from... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ragavhere
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with cut command

Gurus, I need help with the cut command : I have a file with garbage charaters at the beginning of each record; but these characters are not of the same length; First record has 3 garbage chars to be removed; rest have 2; If the length was consistent across all the records, I could have... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tru_tell
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut Command error cut: Bad range

Hi Can anyone what I am doing wrong while using cut command. for f in *.log do logfilename=$f Log "Log file Name: $logfilename" logfile1=`basename $logfilename .log` flength=${#logfile1} Log "file length $flength" from_length=$(($flength - 15)) Log "from... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dgmm
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cut pid from ps using cut command

hay i am trying to get JUST the PID from the ps command. my command line is: ps -ef | grep "mintty" | cut -d' ' -f2 but i get an empty line. i assume that the delimiter is not just one space character, but can't figure out what should i do in order to do that. i know i can use awk or cut... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ran ber
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut command

hi, i have a file abc,"an,ab",cde,efg abc,anab,cde,efg and need to cut the second field so the output should be abc,cde,efg and i have used cut -d',' -f1-1,3- but its giving me abc,ab",cde,efg abc,cde,efg (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ATWC
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Cut command: can't make it cut fields

I'm a complete beginner in UNIX (and not a computer science student either), just undergoing a tutoring course. Trying to replicate the instructions on my own I directed output of the ls listing command (lists all files of my home directory ) to My_dir.tsv file (see the screenshot) to make use of... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: scrutinizerix
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combining awk command to make it more efficient

VARIABLE="jhovan 5259 5241 0 20:11 ? 00:00:00 /proc/self/exe --type=gpu-process --channel=5182.0.1597089149 --supports-dual-gpus=false --gpu-driver-bug-workarounds=2,45,57 --disable-accelerated-video-decode --gpu-vendor-id=0x80ee --gpu-device-id=0xbeef --gpu-driver-vendor... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Efficient way to combine command

im currently running the following command to grab all arguments in front of a script, directly from the process table. # cat /tmp/allmyprocs ubuntu 9933 27793 0 03:29 pts/0 00:00:00 /bin/sh ./prying.sh ubuntu 9941 9933 0 03:29 pts/0 00:00:00 sh ubuntu 9952 9941 0 03:29... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
1 Replies
cut(1)								   User Commands							    cut(1)

NAME
cut - cut out selected fields of each line of a file SYNOPSIS
cut -b list [-n] [file]... cut -c list [file]... cut -f list [-d delim] [-s] [file]... DESCRIPTION
Use the cut utility to cut out columns from a table or fields from each line of a file; in data base parlance, it implements the projection of a relation. The fields as specified by list can be fixed length, that is, character positions as on a punched card (-c option) or the length can vary from line to line and be marked with a field delimiter character like TAB (-f option). cut can be used as a filter. Either the -b, -c, or -f option must be specified. Use grep(1) to make horizontal ``cuts'' (by context) through a file, or paste(1) to put files together column-wise (that is, horizontally). To reorder columns in a table, use cut and paste. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: list A comma-separated or blank-character-separated list of integer field numbers (in increasing order), with optional - to indi- cate ranges (for instance, 1,4,7; 1-3,8; -5,10 (short for 1-5,10); or 3- (short for third through last field)). -b list The list following -b specifies byte positions (for instance, -b1-72 would pass the first 72 bytes of each line). When -b and -n are used together, list is adjusted so that no multi-byte character is split. -c list The list following -c specifies character positions (for instance, -c1-72 would pass the first 72 characters of each line). -d delim The character following -d is the field delimiter (-f option only). Default is tab. Space or other characters with special meaning to the shell must be quoted. delim can be a multi-byte character. -f list The list following -f is a list of fields assumed to be separated in the file by a delimiter character (see -d ); for instance, -f1,7 copies the first and seventh field only. Lines with no field delimiters will be passed through intact (useful for table subheadings), unless -s is specified. -n Do not split characters. When -b list and -n are used together, list is adjusted so that no multi-byte character is split. -s Suppresses lines with no delimiter characters in case of -f option. Unless specified, lines with no delimiters will be passed through untouched. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: file A path name of an input file. If no file operands are specified, or if a file operand is -, the standard input will be used. USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of cut when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte (2^31 bytes). EXAMPLES
Example 1 Mapping user IDs A mapping of user IDs to names follows: example% cut -d: -f1,5 /etc/passwd Example 2 Setting current login name To set name to current login name: example$ name=`who am i | cut -f1 -d' '` ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of cut: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LC_MES- SAGES, and NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 All input files were output successfully. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |Enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
grep(1), paste(1), attributes(5), environ(5), largefile(5), standards(5) DIAGNOSTICS
cut: -n may only be used with -b cut: -d may only be used with -f cut: -s may only be used with -f cut: cannot open <file> Either file cannot be read or does not exist. If multiple files are present, processing continues. cut: no delimiter specified Missing delim on -d option. cut: invalid delimiter cut: no list specified Missing list on -b, -c, or -f option. cut: invalid range specifier cut: too many ranges specified cut: range must be increasing cut: invalid character in range cut: internal error processing input cut: invalid multibyte character cut: unable to allocate enough memory SunOS 5.11 29 Apr 1999 cut(1)