Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Change value in a column
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Change value in a column Post 302507235 by mjomba on Wednesday 23rd of March 2011 07:49:42 AM
Old 03-23-2011
Dear rdcwayx.
Could you explain, please, the meaning of the number which follow \\ after gensub ?
Thank you very much. Mjomba

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Change one column using sed??

Is there way to use sed to change only one occurence in a colon separated line? I would like to change a file from *:*:rex:rex *:*:simon:rex to *:*:rex:mabry *:*:simon:rex (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rexmabry
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

State Change count in the column

Dear all, I have file like below shown. In that file i need to identify how many state change in the column "type".For example 94713357873 goes from type B --> 1 i need to count it.But when we count the x number should be uniq, cant get the count B-->1 state chage for different x numbers. so... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nayanajith
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change names in a column based on the symbols in another column

If the 4th column has - sign then the names in 3rd column has to change to some user defined names (as shown in output). Thanx input1 1 a aaaaa + 2 b bbbbb + 3 c ccccc + 4 d ddddd + 5 e eeeee + 6 f xxxxx + 8 h hhhhh +... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: repinementer
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change file content 4 column to one Column using script

Hi Gurus, I have file content sample: ,5113955056,,TAgent-Suspend ,5119418233,,TAgent-Suspend ,5102119078,,TAgent-Suspend filenames 120229H5_suspend, 120229H6_unsuspend I receive those files one of directory /home/temp/ I need following: 1. Backup first /home/temp/ file to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: thepurple
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk or sed: change the color of a column w/o screwing up column spacing

Hey folks. I wrote a little awk script that summarizes /proc/net/dev info and then pipes it to the nix column command to set up column spacing appropriately. Here's some example output: Iface RxMBytes RxPackets RxErrs RxDrop TxMBytes TxPackets TxErrs TxDrop bond0 9 83830... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ryran
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change column to row base on column 2

Hi Guys, Input.txt L194 A -118.2 L194 B -115.1 L194 C -118.7 L196 A 0 L196 C 0 L197 A -111.2 L197 B -118.9 L197 C -119.9 L199 A -120.4 L199 B -119.9 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asavaliya
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change Lines into column

Hello how can I change lines into column? e.g. I have a Text file which looks like: Surename...... Address..... Phonenumber..... Zipcode.. Surename... Address.... Zipcode Surename... I want that Surename is in column 1 and every following line should be in additional colums.... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: witchblade
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change Data base on Column

Base of last two column i want to change may data if Last two Column have A and C then Copy Column $4 to Column $3. Input :- DD142 0_1 DD142_A DD142_B A B DD142 1_1 DD142_B DD142_C B C DD142 2_1 DD142_A DD142_C A C DD142 3_1 DD142_A A DD142 3_2 DD142_A A DD142 4_1 DD142_B B ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pareshkp
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Duplicate and change a column

Hi, I have a file with list of items: a b c I would like to run a 1-liner (awk/perl) to duplicate and change the value of the existing column, i.e.: a a b b c c I can duplicate with awk: awk '{print $1 " " $1 }' but couldn't figure out how to do the character change, your help is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: yan1
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change 10th column formatting.

Hi Experts, I created a powershell script to fetch user details from active directory and export it to a csv/excel. "abc","bcd","devloper;admin" "bcd","dca","tester;QA;admin" So here user abc is member of devloper and admin group and user bcd is a member of tester,QA and admin... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: shekhar_4_u
6 Replies
COLUMN(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 COLUMN(1)

NAME
column -- columnate lists SYNOPSIS
column [-tx] [-c columns] [-s sep] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
The column utility formats its input into multiple columns. Rows are filled before columns. Input is taken from file operands, or, by default, from the standard input. Empty lines are ignored. The options are as follows: -c Output is formatted for a display columns wide. -s Specify a set of characters to be used to delimit columns for the -t option. -t Determine the number of columns the input contains and create a table. Columns are delimited with whitespace, by default, or with the characters supplied using the -s option. Useful for pretty-printing displays. -x Fill columns before filling rows. column exits 0 on success, >0 if an error occurred. ENVIRONMENT
COLUMNS The environment variable COLUMNS is used to determine the size of the screen if no other information is available. EXAMPLES
(echo "PERM LINKS OWNER GROUP SIZE MONTH DAY HH:MM/YEAR NAME"; ls -l | sed 1d) | column -t SEE ALSO
colrm(1), ls(1), paste(1), sort(1) HISTORY
The column command appeared in 4.3BSD-Reno. BSD
March 9, 2008 BSD