Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: When execl fails in C
Top Forums Programming When execl fails in C Post 302505991 by macroideal on Friday 18th of March 2011 06:52:26 AM
Old 03-18-2011
maybe it is because a signal in the child process forced the main process quit. you can catch the terminal signals or ignore them.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

execl, execv or execp

Hi! I'm writing a C program which gets from the command line a shell command (such as "ls" ) and I should execute it. My Q is: how can I send a command to the shell? I know I have to use one of the above functions, but I don't know how to use them. Thanks eyal (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: azran
1 Replies

2. Programming

execl / execv ?

Hi, Is it possible to run a program from my C program using only the full pathname? for example if I wanna call: "ls", so I whould have to use: execl("/bin/ls", "ls", NULL); Is it possible to do this using only: "/bin/ls" thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: owijust
1 Replies

3. Programming

How to specify path of a function within execl

Consider the following scenario program1: main() { ...... execl("path","function",...); ..... } function() { ----- ------- } Now i want to include the path of function in execl. How to do this. should the path be the path of function's executable file. If it so how... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bankpro
1 Replies

4. Programming

execl()

can anyone explain how to pass arguments of a program in execl function pls explain with a sample code. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bankpro
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

need help with execl command

I want to make simultanous sh commands in an exec command for example I want to counts the lines in a file wc -l my file.txt | awk -F" " '{print $1}'` works fine in sh but I want to implement it in a c code the first part works like this execl("/usr/bin/wc", "wc", "-l", "myfile.txt",... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: walnut
1 Replies

6. Programming

execl function at GDB

Hi, we would appreciate if any one answer the below query. void main() { printf(“ I am in main\n”); execl(“/HOME/source/file2”,” /HOME/source/file2”,1,0); printf(“after execl\n”); } How to step the file2 source code in GDB. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: RAMESHPRABUDASS
2 Replies

7. Programming

time execl

hello everybody how can i time the execution of execl() command inside my C code? for example, i wrote.. execl("md5sum","md5sum","myprog",NULL); i want to count the duration of the execl command! thanx in advance! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nicos
2 Replies

8. Red Hat

execl command

how to use find command in execl function, I used: execl("/usr/bin/find","find","~","-name","filename.c",0); but it shows find: ~ no file and directory i need to get the path of the file from the home .:wall: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mahendravarma
2 Replies

9. Programming

[C] execl and pipes?

Hi, I have two programs, one is named "Master" and the other one "slave". What I want to do is , when I execute Master, inside slave will be called by excecl, do some calculations, and send those to the master program... A little example of what I am failing to do: if ((PID1=fork())==0) { //... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: lamachejo
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Execl() command

Hi, If I write in a c file : execlp("date","date",NULL); printf("A\n"); And then run through the terminal would "A" be printed ? I understood that execlp will exit the program after it finished so the next lines of code won`t be executed afterwards.. Is that true ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: uniran
1 Replies
SIGNAL(2)							System Calls Manual							 SIGNAL(2)

NAME
signal - catch or ignore signals SYNOPSIS
#include <signal.h> (*signal(sig, func))() (*func)(); DESCRIPTION
A signal is generated by some abnormal event, initiated either by user at a typewriter (quit, interrupt), by a program error (bus error, etc.), or by request of another program (kill). Normally all signals cause termination of the receiving process, but a signal call allows them either to be ignored or to cause an interrupt to a specified location. Here is the list of signals with names as in the include file. SIGHUP 1 hangup SIGINT 2 interrupt SIGQUIT 3* quit SIGILL 4* illegal instruction (not reset when caught) SIGTRAP 5* trace trap (not reset when caught) SIGIOT 6* IOT instruction SIGEMT 7* EMT instruction SIGFPE 8* floating point exception SIGKILL 9 kill (cannot be caught or ignored) SIGBUS 10* bus error SIGSEGV 11* segmentation violation SIGSYS 12* bad argument to system call SIGPIPE 13 write on a pipe or link with no one to read it SIGALRM 14 alarm clock SIGTERM 15 software termination signal 16 unassigned The starred signals in the list above cause a core image if not caught or ignored. If func is SIG_DFL, the default action for signal sig is reinstated; this default is termination, sometimes with a core image. If func is SIG_IGN the signal is ignored. Otherwise when the signal occurs func will be called with the signal number as argument. A return from the function will continue the process at the point it was interrupted. Except as indicated, a signal is reset to SIG_DFL after being caught. Thus if it is desired to catch every such signal, the catching routine must issue another signal call. When a caught signal occurs during certain system calls, the call terminates prematurely. In particular this can occur during a read or write(2) on a slow device (like a typewriter; but not a file); and during pause or wait(2). When such a signal occurs, the saved user sta- tus is arranged in such a way that when return from the signal-catching takes place, it will appear that the system call returned an error status. The user's program may then, if it wishes, re-execute the call. The value of signal is the previous (or initial) value of func for the particular signal. After a fork(2) the child inherits all signals. Exec(2) resets all caught signals to default action. SEE ALSO
kill(1), kill(2), ptrace(2), setjmp(3) DIAGNOSTICS
The value (int)-1 is returned if the given signal is out of range. BUGS
If a repeated signal arrives before the last one can be reset, there is no chance to catch it. The type specification of the routine and its func argument are problematical. ASSEMBLER
(signal = 48.) sys signal; sig; label (old label in r0) If label is 0, default action is reinstated. If label is odd, the signal is ignored. Any other even label specifies an address in the process where an interrupt is simulated. An RTI or RTT instruction will return from the interrupt. SIGNAL(2)