Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming help with unix redirecting to stderror Post 302503980 by Corona688 on Saturday 12th of March 2011 09:27:16 PM
Old 03-12-2011
Quote:
i can have
echo "message" 2> error.log
You could, but it wouldn't do anything, just print 'message' to standard output and create an empty file 'error.log'.

What are you actually trying to do?

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Redirecting UNIX Print Output

I am a new user to UNIX. We are currently running an application called DISC (www.disclink.com) on UNIX, and I am trying to figure out how to redirect print output to a PC printer. There is one little problem: DISC apparently has its own OS that is sitting on top of the UNIX OS, so you cannot... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: BlueSpider
1 Replies

2. Programming

Redirecting

How to redirect the contents of a file to a command? The contents of the file are the arguments necessary for the command. thx in advance. bye svh (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: svh
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

redirecting help

I am trying to create the file and redirect the output in the same command line which is line 4 in the below program. #!/bin/bash read -p "Enter File Name:" value1 echo "Your File Name is $value1" sed 's/abcd/'$value1'/g' abcd_calls > $value1_calls This is the error it generates ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: learnbash
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading UNIX commands from file and redirecting output to a file

Hi All I have written the following script: #!/bin/ksh while read cmdline do echo `$cmdline` pid="$cmdline" done<commands.txt =========== commands.txt contains: ps -ef | grep abc | grep xyz |awk '{print $2}; My objective is to store the o/p of the command in a variable and do... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahulparo
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Automatically send stdout and stderror to a file as well as to the screen, but without using tee

Hi, I've been using the following commands in my automated scripts, to ensure that all text output is sent to a log file instead of to the screen: exec 1>>$SCRIPT_LOG_FILE exec 2>>$SCRIPT_LOG_FILE However, I've now discovered that the system used for automating the script executions... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: confusedAdmin
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirect stdout and stderror in child process

I have a problem when i try to create a log file from a daemon process using shell scripting in ubuntu 12. Ultimatly what i want to achieve is run a java/jar file from a script. After scourging the internet i found several solutions to do this, the one i choose is to create a startup script that... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Narev
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

SFTP stderror not able to trap

(7 Replies)
Discussion started by: krupasindhu18
7 Replies

8. Programming

Writing a UNIX shell script to call a C function and redirecting data to a .txt file

Hi, I am complete new to C programming and shell scripting. I just wrote a simple C code to calculate integral using trapezoid rule. I am prompting user to pass me No. of equally spaced points , N , upper and lower limit. My code looks as follows so far: #include<stdio.h> #include<string.h>... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bjhjh
2 Replies
msgcvt(1)							   User Commands							 msgcvt(1)

NAME
msgcvt - convert message file to and from HTML SYNOPSIS
msgcvt [-hmr] DESCRIPTION
msgcvt reads a gencat(1) format file on the standard input and converts it to HTML on the standard output. The input file must contain the control statement $quote " and use the " character to quote message text. The output is in a form suitable for automatic translation by web sites such as http://babelfish.altavista.com. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -h Generate HTML from gencat(1) input. --html This is the default. -m Generate a gencat(1) message file from (presumably translated) HTML. Wide characters are UTF-8 encoded. --msg -r The message file is raw message text, one message per line, with no quoting or line numbering. --raw EXIT STATUS
0 Successful completion. >0 One or more specified jobs does not exist. EXAMPLES
Example 1 Generating a gencat Message Catalog File The following example generates a gencat(1) message catalog file from an HTML file: example% cat example.html | msgcvt -m > examplecat AUTHORS
Glenn Fowler, gsf@research.att.com ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWastdev | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Volatile | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
gencat(1), msgcc(1), msggen(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.11 9 Oct 2007 msgcvt(1)