Sponsored Content
Special Forums Cybersecurity DMZ systems having internal IP, ok or not? Post 302501946 by Neo on Saturday 5th of March 2011 11:14:28 PM
Old 03-06-2011
The answer is yes and yes; but your questions are too vague for a definitive answer.

First of all, if you are going to ask questions about assigning IP addresses to servers, shouldn't you name the hardware and software you are using?

Second, what does "security issues" mean? This has no meaning because it is just a vague statement without any context.

If you want to discuss security topics, please be very specific. Thanks!

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Forwarding internal internet packets to internal webserver using iptables

Hi, I need to redirect internal internet requests to a auth client site siting on the gateway. Currently users that are authenticated to access the internet have there mac address listed in the FORWARD chain. All other users need to be redirected to a internal site for authentication. Can... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mshindo
1 Replies

2. Linux

routing rules for dmz in debian router.

Hi to all. There are eth0(wan) eth1(lan) and eth3(dmz) in my debian router. In dmz is planing dns, ad, dhcp, smtp/pop/imap, https(web-based imap client). I don't configured rules on "iptables" and "route" loads for right relation lan clients with dmz services. Please explain me example... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sotich82
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How do you manage your DMZ server accounts?

I'd just like to know what you use for user account management on your DMZ servers? Do you use the same authentication realm as internally? Do you use a different authentication realm, perhaps only for the DMZ? Do you use local accounts? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: humbletech99
2 Replies

4. Solaris

Setting up a DMZ webserver using Zones

I've been looking at various articles about Zones/Containers, from SUN's website, and through numerous Google searches, and although there's a lot of info out there, I've not got a definitive answer for what I'd like to do.....so here we go..... I'm installing a webserver, which is sitting on a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: in2deep
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

SFTP and DMZ boxes

Hi I would like write a script that will do sftp frm a box that resides inside the FW to a box that resides in DMZ.Any ideas guys.I tried generating rsa keys for a particular user, however just want to know is there any other solution or not. Your help is much appreciated. Thanks CK (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: coolkid
2 Replies

6. What is on Your Mind?

From Systems Admin to Systems Eng.

I have been wondering how do Systems Administrators do the jump into Systems Engineering? Is it only a matter of time and experience or could I actually help myself get there? Opinions? Books I could read? Thanks a lot for your help! (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: svalenciatech
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create new users in DMZ box using script

I remote to many DMZ boxes every day to run batch file that allows me to create users. I create users in 17 DMZ boxes every day which takes a lot of my time. Is there any script that would do this job from my local computer? Thank you for your help! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: idiazza
3 Replies

8. UNIX and Linux Applications

One DMZ server reverse proxy for 2 websites

Hi All, Hope this is the correct thread to ask this, if not, can an admin please move it to the correct thread. Got a wee problem I hope someone can point me in the right direction. I have Network A with two servers hosting separate webpages (I will call these WP1 & WP2). A DMZ server... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dakelly
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Sendmail - issue within DMZ for some servers but not all

Hi All, I have a strange issue and I am not sure where the problem lies. I have about six Ubuntu servers on our DMZ two of which were built on 18.04 from scratch the others were upgraded to 18.04 from 16.04. The servers built from scratch can send emails from the server via sendmail fine, so... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dakelly
4 Replies
PFSYNC(4)                                                  BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual                                                  PFSYNC(4)

NAME
pfsync -- packet filter state table logging interface SYNOPSIS
device pfsync DESCRIPTION
The pfsync interface is a pseudo-device which exposes certain changes to the state table used by pf(4). If configured with a physical syn- chronisation interface, pfsync will send state changes out on that interface using IP multicast, and insert state changes received on that interface from other systems into the state table. By default, all local changes to the state table are exposed via pfsync. However, state changes from packets received by pfsync over the network are not rebroadcast. States created by a rule marked with the no-sync keyword are omitted from the pfsync interface (see pf.conf(5) for details). The pfsync interface will attempt to collapse multiple updates of the same state into one message where possible. The maximum number of times this can be done before the update is sent out is controlled by the maxupd parameter to ifconfig (see ifconfig(8) and the example below for more details). Each packet retrieved on this interface has a header associated with it of length PFSYNC_HDRLEN. The header indicates the version of the protocol, address family, action taken on the following states, and the number of state table entries attached in this packet. This struc- ture is defined in <net/if_pfsync.h> as: struct pfsync_header { u_int8_t version; u_int8_t af; u_int8_t action; u_int8_t count; }; NETWORK SYNCHRONISATION
States can be synchronised between two or more firewalls using this interface, by specifying a synchronisation interface using ifconfig(8). For example, the following command sets fxp0 as the synchronisation interface: # ifconfig pfsync0 syncdev fxp0 It is important that the underlying synchronisation interface is up and has an IP address assigned. By default, state change messages are sent out on the synchronisation interface using IP multicast packets. The protocol is IP protocol 240, PFSYNC, and the multicast group used is 224.0.0.240. When a peer address is specified using the syncpeer keyword, the peer address is used as a destination for the pfsync traffic, and the traffic can then be protected using ipsec(4). In such a configuration, the syncdev should be set to the enc(4) interface, as this is where the traffic arrives when it is decapsulated, e.g.: # ifconfig pfsync0 syncpeer 10.0.0.2 syncdev enc0 It is important that the pfsync traffic be well secured as there is no authentication on the protocol and it would be trivial to spoof pack- ets which create states, bypassing the pf ruleset. Either run the pfsync protocol on a trusted network - ideally a network dedicated to pfsync messages such as a crossover cable between two firewalls, or specify a peer address and protect the traffic with ipsec(4). For pfsync to start its operation automatically at the system boot time, pfsync_enable and pfsync_syncdev variables should be used in rc.conf(5). It is not advisable to set up pfsync with common network interface configuration variables of rc.conf(5) because pfsync must start after its syncdev, which cannot be always ensured in the latter case. EXAMPLES
pfsync and carp(4) can be used together to provide automatic failover of a pair of firewalls configured in parallel. One firewall handles all traffic - if it dies or is shut down, the second firewall takes over automatically. Both firewalls in this example have three sis(4) interfaces. sis0 is the external interface, on the 10.0.0.0/24 subnet; sis1 is the internal interface, on the 192.168.0.0/24 subnet; and sis2 is the pfsync interface, using the 192.168.254.0/24 subnet. A crossover cable connects the two firewalls via their sis2 interfaces. On all three interfaces, firewall A uses the .254 address, while firewall B uses .253. The inter- faces are configured as follows (firewall A unless otherwise indicated): Interfaces configuration in /etc/rc.conf: network_interfaces="lo0 sis0 sis1 sis2" cloned_interfaces="carp0 carp1" ifconfig_sis0="10.0.0.254/24" ifconfig_sis1="192.168.0.254/24" ifconfig_sis2="192.168.254.254/24" ifconfig_carp0="vhid 1 pass foo 10.0.0.1/24" ifconfig_carp1="vhid 2 pass bar 192.168.0.1/24" pfsync_enable="YES" pfsync_syncdev="sis2" pf(4) must also be configured to allow pfsync and carp(4) traffic through. The following should be added to the top of /etc/pf.conf: pass quick on { sis2 } proto pfsync pass on { sis0 sis1 } proto carp If it is preferable that one firewall handle the traffic, the advskew on the backup firewall's carp(4) interfaces should be set to something higher than the primary's. For example, if firewall B is the backup, its carp1 configuration would look like this: ifconfig_carp1="vhid 2 pass bar advskew 100 192.168.0.1/24" The following must also be added to /etc/sysctl.conf: net.inet.carp.preempt=1 BUGS
Possibility to view state changes using tcpdump(1) has not been ported from OpenBSD yet. SEE ALSO
bpf(4), carp(4), ifconfig(8), inet(4), inet6(4), ipsec(4), netintro(4), pf(4), pf.conf(5), protocols(5), rc.conf(5) ifconfig(8), ifstated(8), tcpdump(8) HISTORY
The pfsync device first appeared in OpenBSD 3.3. The pfsync device was imported to FreeBSD 5.3. BSD June 6, 2006 BSD