Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris How to change default log location of SMF registered processes. Post 302500638 by gyan_198 on Tuesday 1st of March 2011 06:38:03 AM
Old 03-01-2011
As per your state i was trying to modify svc.stard but due to MSB executable file i flunked to do that Smilie
Now are you saying that service FMRI is only hope for changing log location ??

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

I need to change the location of a netbackup installation

Can anyone tell me how I can change the default location for a netbackup installation to another location on my box? The default location is too small and I want to install in another location that has the adequate space. The Netbackup user manual is USELESS!!:mad::mad: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: impunchdrunk
3 Replies

2. Infrastructure Monitoring

Need to kill processes from a specific location

Hi, I need to kill processes from a specific location for Linux, HP, AIX and Solaris. My problem is to be able to identify the location of the running processes. I've tried with a simple "ps -fu username | grep mylocation" but if the process command has been run directly from the location,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Peuj
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

auto change filemanager folder colors dependent on location in directory hierarchy

Hello, Is it possible to make a file manager use different "colored folders" when browsing specific directories? For example, if I open a gnome file manager and browse my windows share at, smb://192.168.1.101/z/ , can I make those folders appear green? And when I open another instance of... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bz43
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Capture child processes and change return values question

Thanks in advance. My environment is Ubuntu 9.04 desktop customized to be a high school classroom server for teaching code development. I have a unique "fake" jail called "lshell" which is very easy to setup and restricts users to commands that I dictate DISALLOWING ANYTHING ELSE. These... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: tuxhats
6 Replies

5. Solaris

Permission denied in SMF service log

I can't get the exact error message because I am at home, but on Solaris 10u5 machine I have at work, a few services are stuck in the maintenance state with the following error message in the individual service logs (/var/svc/log/FMRI:instance.log): Cannot chdir: permission denied Fortunately... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ilikecows
2 Replies

6. Solaris

removing associated processes from a SMF service

I'm running Tibco Hawk (hawkhma and agent) on a number of solaris 10 boxes (both x86 and Sparc). Tibco Hawk is a monitoring system, that can monitor processs and logs on the OS and applications. It also have the ability to start a process, if it for some reason, have died. I have implemented... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: u_paludan
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

avahi , change the log location

avahi error message goes to /var/log/messages , how can put avahi to log the error in a file /var/log/avahi-error instead of /var/log/messages (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: prpkrk
1 Replies

8. Solaris

Solaris 10 massive SMF log file

I found that there was a SMF log file: /var/svc/log/milestone-multi-user-server:default.log.0 which occupied around 19G bytes. Please help me how to purge this massive file. Can I just use cat /dev/null > /var/svc/log/milesto..... to this file without any interruption to a non-stop system?... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: AlexLi
11 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to change the path location within the shell script?

Hi ALL, I am trying to find the installed tomcat version and location of the server.xml file to get the tomcat port number. Using below script to do that. #!/usr/bin/env bash var1=$(find / -name "version.sh" ! -size 0 2>&1 |egrep -v "tmp|docker") for loc1 in $var1 do ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sravani25
1 Replies
cron(1M)						  System Administration Commands						  cron(1M)

NAME
cron - clock daemon SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/cron DESCRIPTION
cron starts a process that executes commands at specified dates and times. You can specify regularly scheduled commands to cron according to instructions found in crontab files in the directory /var/spool/cron/crontabs. Users can submit their own crontab file using the crontab(1) command. Commands which are to be executed only once can be submitted using the at(1) command. cron only examines crontab or at command files during its own process initialization phase and when the crontab or at command is run. This reduces the overhead of checking for new or changed files at regularly scheduled intervals. As cron never exits, it should be executed only once. This is done routinely by way of the svc:/system/cron:default service. The file /etc/cron.d/FIFO file is used as a lock file to prevent the execution of more than one instance of cron. cron captures the output of the job's stdout and stderr streams, and, if it is not empty, mails the output to the user. If the job does not produce output, no mail is sent to the user. An exception is if the job is an at(1) job and the -m option was specified when the job was submitted. cron and at jobs are not executed if your account is locked. Jobs and processses execute. The shadow(4) file defines which accounts are not locked and will have their jobs and processes executed. Setting cron Jobs Across Timezones The timezone of the cron daemon sets the system-wide timezone for cron entries. This, in turn, is by set by default system-wide using /etc/default/init. The timezone for cron entries can be overridden in a user's crontab file; see crontab(1). If some form of daylight savings or summer/winter time is in effect, then jobs scheduled during the switchover period could be executed once, twice, or not at all. Setting cron Defaults To keep a log of all actions taken by cron, you must specify CRONLOG=YES in the /etc/default/cron file. If you specify CRONLOG=NO, no log- ging is done. Keeping the log is a user configurable option since cron usually creates huge log files. You can specify the PATH for user cron jobs by using PATH= in /etc/default/cron. You can set the PATH for root cron jobs using SUPATH= in /etc/default/cron. Carefully consider the security implications of setting PATH and SUPATH. Example /etc/default/cron file: CRONLOG=YES PATH=/usr/bin:/usr/ucb: This example enables logging and sets the default PATH used by non-root jobs to /usr/bin:/usr/ucb:. Root jobs continue to use /usr/sbin:/usr/bin. The cron log file is periodically rotated by logadm(1M). FILES
/etc/cron.d Main cron directory /etc/cron.d/FIFO Lock file /etc/default/cron cron default settings file /var/cron/log cron history information /var/spool/cron Spool area /etc/cron.d/queuedefs Queue description file for at, batch, and cron /etc/logadm.conf Configuration file for logadm ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
svcs(1), at(1), crontab(1), sh(1), logadm(1M), svcadm(1M), queuedefs(4), shadow(4), attributes(5), rbac(5), smf(5), smf_security(5) NOTES
The cron service is managed by the service management facility, smf(5), under the service identifier: svc:/system/cron:default Administrative actions on this service, such as enabling, disabling, or requesting restart, can be performed using svcadm(1M). The ser- vice's status can be queried using the svcs(1) command. Most administrative actions may be delegated to users with the solaris.smf.man- age.cron authorization (see rbac(5) and smf_security(5)). DIAGNOSTICS
A history of all actions taken by cron is stored in /var/cron/log and possibly in /var/cron/olog. SunOS 5.11 4 Feb 2009 cron(1M)