Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting bash - joining lines in a file Post 302500607 by Cultcha on Tuesday 1st of March 2011 04:48:37 AM
Old 03-01-2011
bash - joining lines in a file

I’m writing a bash shell script and I want to join lines together where two variables on each line are the same ie.

Code:
12345variablestuff43212morevariablestuff
12345variablestuff43212morevariablestuff
34657variablestuff78945morevariablestuff
34657variablestuff78945morevariablestuff
98789variablestuff48975morevariablestuff

I want the file to end up looking like this:

Code:
12345variablestuff43212morevariablestuff12345variablestuff43212morevariablestuff
34657variablestuff78945morevariablestuff34657variablestuff78945morevariablestuff
98789variablestuff48975morevariablestuff

There can be any number of matching rows (16 max at the moment) as there seems to be a lot of duplication but I only need to join the first 4 rows as they appear on the file. (I have at the moment deleted the duplicates, but it seems that the duplication is actually necessary in rare cases Smilie)
Thanks so much in advance for any help with this!

Last edited by radoulov; 03-01-2011 at 07:16 AM.. Reason: Code tags, please!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Joining lines in log file

Hi, I need to develop a script to join multiple three lines in a log file into one line for processing with awk and grep. I looked at tr with no success. The first line contains the date time information. The second line contains the error line. The third line is a blank line. Thanks, Mike (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bubba112557
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Joining 2 lines in a file together

Hi guys, I've got a log file which has entries that look like this: ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 06/08/04 07:57:57 AMQ9002: Channel program started. EXPLANATION: Channel program 'INSCCPQ1.HSMTSPQ1' started. ACTION: None. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: m223464
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Joining lines of a text file using GAWK

sir... am having a data file of customer master., containing some important fields as a set one line after another., what i want is to have one set of these fields(rows) one after another in line.........then the second set... and so on... till the last set completed. ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: KANNI786
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

JOINING MULTIPLE LINES IN A TEXT FILE USING GAWK

sir... am having a data file of customer master., containing some important fields as a set one line after another., what i want is to have one set of these fields(rows) one after another in line.........then the second set... and so on... till the last set completed. I WANT THE DATA... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: KANNI786
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Joining lines in a text file using AWK or SED

Hi All I'm struggling a bit here :( I need a way of joining lines contained in a text file. I've seen numerous SED and AWK examples and none of them seem to be working for me. The text file has 4 lines: DELL1427 DOC 30189342 79 Now bear with me on this one as I'm actually... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: huskie69
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Joining lines in a file - help!

I'm looking for a way to join lines in a file; e.,g consider the following R|This is line 1 R|This is line 2 R|This is line 3 R|This is line 4 R|This is line 5 what i want to end up with is R|This is line 1 R|This is line 2 R|This is line 3 R|This is line 4 R|This is line 5 so... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: Storms
15 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

joining multi-line file into single lines

Hi, I have a file like mentioned below..For each specific id starting with > I want to join the sequence in multiple lines to a single line..Is there a simple way in awk or sed to do this >ENST00000558922 cdna:KNOWN TCCAGGATCCAGCCTCCCGATCACCGCGCTAGTCCTCGCCCTGCCTGGGCTTCCCCAGAG... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Diya123
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Joining lines in TXT file based on first character

Hi, I have a pipe delimeted text file where lines have been split over 2 lines and I need to join them back together. For example the file I have is similar to the following: aaa|bbb |ccc ddd|eee fff|ggg |hhh I ideally need to have it looking like the following aaa|bbb|ccc ddd|eee... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: fuji_s
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue in Concatenation/Joining of lines in a dynamically generated file

Hi, I have a file containing many records delimited by pipe (|). Each record should contain 17 columnns/fields. there are some fields having fields less than 17.So i am extracting those records to a file using the below command awk 'BEGIN {FS="|"} NF !=17 {print}' feedfile.txt... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: TomG
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Joining especific lines in "2n" lines file

Hi to everybody. I have a "2n" lines file. I would like to create a new file with only "n" lines, each line in the new file formed by the proper odd line of the old file joined with the following even line (separated by a space) of the old file. I'd prefer using sed or bash. -example-... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: felino
5 Replies
PMDABASH(1)						      General Commands Manual						       PMDABASH(1)

NAME
pmdabash - Bourne-Again SHell trace performance metrics domain agent SYNOPSIS
$PCP_PMDAS_DIR/bash/pmdabash [-C] [-d domain] [-l logfile] [-I interval] [-t timeout] [-U username] configfile DESCRIPTION
pmdabash is an experimental Performance Metrics Domain Agent (PMDA) which exports "xtrace" events from a traced bash(1) process. This includes the command execution information that would usually be sent to standard error with the set -x option to the shell. Event metrics are exported showing each command executed, the function name and line number in the script, and a timestamp. Additionally, the process identifier for the shell and its parent process are exported. This requires bash version 4 or later. A brief description of the pmdabash command line options follows: -d It is absolutely crucial that the performance metrics domain number specified here is unique and consistent. That is, domain should be different for every PMDA on the one host, and the same domain number should be used for the same PMDA on all hosts. -l Location of the log file. By default, a log file named bash.log is written in the current directory of pmcd(1) when pmdabash is started, i.e. $PCP_LOG_DIR/pmcd. If the log file cannot be created or is not writable, output is written to the standard error instead. -s Amount of time (in seconds) between subsequent evaluations of the shell trace file descriptor(s). The default is 2 seconds. -m Maximum amount of memory to be allowed for each event queue (one per traced process). The default is 2 megabytes. -U User account under which to run the agent. The default is the unprivileged "pcp" account in current versions of PCP, but in older versions the superuser account ("root") was used by default. INSTALLATION
In order for a host to export the names, help text and values for the bash performance metrics, do the following as root: # cd $PCP_PMDAS_DIR/bash # ./Install As soon as an instrumented shell script (see INSTRUMENTATION selection below) is run, with tracing enabled, new metric values will appear - no further setup of the agent is required. If you want to undo the installation, do the following as root: # cd $PCP_PMDAS_DIR/bash # ./Remove pmdabash is launched by pmcd(1) and should never be executed directly. The Install and Remove scripts notify pmcd(1) when the agent is installed or removed. INSTRUMENTATION
In order to allow the flow of event data between a bash(1) script and pmdabash, the script should take the following actions: #!/bin/sh source $PCP_DIR/etc/pcp.sh pcp_trace on $@ # enable tracing echo "awoke, $count" pcp_trace off # disable tracing The tracing can be enabled and disabled any number of times by the script. On successful installation of the agent, several metrics will be available: $ pminfo bash bash.xtrace.numclients bash.xtrace.maxmem bash.xtrace.queuemem bash.xtrace.count bash.xtrace.records bash.xtrace.parameters.pid bash.xtrace.parameters.parent bash.xtrace.parameters.lineno bash.xtrace.parameters.function bash.xtrace.parameters.command When an instrumented script is running, the generation of event records can be verified using the pmevent(1) command, as follows: $ pmevent -t 1 -x '' bash.xtrace.records host: localhost samples: all bash.xtrace.records["4538 ./test-trace.sh 1 2 3"]: 5 event records 10:00:05.000 --- event record [0] flags 0x19 (point,id,parent) --- bash.xtrace.parameters.pid 4538 bash.xtrace.parameters.parent 4432 bash.xtrace.parameters.lineno 43 bash.xtrace.parameters.command "true" 10:00:05.000 --- event record [1] flags 0x19 (point,id,parent) --- bash.xtrace.parameters.pid 4538 bash.xtrace.parameters.parent 4432 bash.xtrace.parameters.lineno 45 bash.xtrace.parameters.command "(( count++ ))" 10:00:05.000 --- event record [2] flags 0x19 (point,id,parent) --- bash.xtrace.parameters.pid 4538 bash.xtrace.parameters.parent 4432 bash.xtrace.parameters.lineno 46 bash.xtrace.parameters.command "echo 'awoke, 3'" 10:00:05.000 --- event record [3] flags 0x19 (point,id,parent) --- bash.xtrace.parameters.pid 4538 bash.xtrace.parameters.parent 4432 bash.xtrace.parameters.lineno 47 bash.xtrace.parameters.command "tired 2" 10:00:05.000 --- event record [4] flags 0x19 (point,id,parent) --- bash.xtrace.parameters.pid 4538 bash.xtrace.parameters.parent 4432 bash.xtrace.parameters.lineno 38 bash.xtrace.parameters.function "tired" bash.xtrace.parameters.command "sleep 2" FILES
$PCP_PMCDCONF_PATH command line options used to launch pmdabash $PCP_PMDAS_DIR/bash/help default help text file for the bash metrics $PCP_PMDAS_DIR/bash/Install installation script for the pmdabash agent $PCP_PMDAS_DIR/bash/Remove undo installation script for pmdabash $PCP_LOG_DIR/pmcd/bash.log default log file for error messages and other information from pmdabash PCP ENVIRONMENT
Environment variables with the prefix PCP_ are used to parameterize the file and directory names used by PCP. On each installation, the file /etc/pcp.conf contains the local values for these variables. The $PCP_CONF variable may be used to specify an alternative configura- tion file, as described in pcp.conf(5). SEE ALSO
bash(1), pmevent(1) and pmcd(1). Performance Co-Pilot PCP PMDABASH(1)