Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris How can I modify groups in an NIS Server? Post 302500001 by ionrivera on Saturday 26th of February 2011 04:35:50 AM
Old 02-26-2011
How can I modify groups in an NIS Server?

How can I remove users in a certain group on a NIS server?

Is there a yp command that does this?

Thanks in advance...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

SUSE 9 and 10 NIS clients with RedHat 8.0 NIS server not working

We have a RedHat 8.0 NIS master, with a RedHat 8.0 NIS Slave. We also have a small number of SUSE 9.1 and SUSE 10 machines here for evaluation. However, no matter what i do, the SUSE machines will not talk to the NIS Servers. If i broadcast for NIS Servers for the specified NIS domain, it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fishsponge
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

NIS server IP change

I am changing the IP on my NIS server. Are there any files that need to be changed on my other servers that are using NIS? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: calamine
1 Replies

3. Solaris

How to configure a NIS client bound to the NIS server in another subnet?

Hi, all. I have a Solaris client here needs to bind to NIS server in another subnet. Following is the configuration i made on the client, 1) edit /etc/inet/hosts to add an entry of the NIS server -- nserver01 2) execute `domainname` to set local NIS domain to the domain of the NIS server.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sn_wukong
1 Replies

4. AIX

NIS server

Hi all, Kindly can help to config the NIS master server in AIX 5.3 ? Many Thanks. My procedure: smit yp -> Change NIS Domain Name of this Host smit yp -> Configure / Modify NIS -> Change / Show Characteristics of Master Server Configuration The "Current domain anme of this host" &... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tyu
1 Replies

5. Solaris

How to bind from a NIS slave server

Hi All, I have a client already binded with a NIS master server. Now, I want to bind this particular client to one of NIS slave. How to do it? Thanks, Deepak (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: naw_deepak
2 Replies

6. AIX

Vulnerability AIX server (GROUPS/USERS) and SAP Systems ?

I hope you can understand me, although my english is not so good. I have a problem. I have installed 4 SAP Systems with different releases on the same server (AIX). Each SAP system has got its own operating system user through the installation. But all users belong to the group SAPSYS. So in other... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: momok1976
3 Replies

7. IP Networking

How to disable NIS server

Hi , I have HPUX system booted up in single user mode, can i disable NIS Server in this mode ? ---------- Post updated at 11:36 AM ---------- Previous update was at 11:35 AM ---------- Can i change network parameters in boot image directly . (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: thana
0 Replies

8. Solaris

NIS Server Filesystem is full

Hey Guys, I need your help. My NIS server filesystem is 100%, the NIS is running under solaris 10. I am affraid if the server stops, it wont come up again. Please help. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: andrevicente
4 Replies

9. Red Hat

NIS server

After configuring the NIS server in my machine (RHEL 5.4) i create two NIS users user1 and user2 and one local user when i login to user1 and user2 from client machine i am not able to login for login to user1 and user2 first i have to login to local user and then i am able to login to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vipinkumarr89
4 Replies

10. Solaris

Testing NIS slave server

Hi guys, In my Sol-10 i setup NIS server following the oracle doc and setup a Linux as NIS client all went ok. I added another Sol-10 and configure it as a NIS slave server following the oracle doc again. and added the server on the yp.conf on my NIS client How do i test if my NIS slave... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: batas
3 Replies
groupmod(1M)															      groupmod(1M)

NAME
groupmod - modify a group on the system SYNOPSIS
alternate_password_file] gid name] userlist] group DESCRIPTION
The command modifies a group on the system by altering the appropriate entry in the file. The command must be used with the group argument, which is the name of the group to be modified. The name consists of a string of print- able characters that may not include a colon or newline Refer to usergroupname(5) to understand the functionality changes with the Numeric User Group Name feature. Options The command uses the following options: Specify the path to the alternate password file. When this option is specified, user information is looked up in this file, instead of If specified, the option should used as the first option. Change the value of the group ID to gid. gid must be a non-negative decimal integer less than as defined in the header file. Allow the gid to be non-unique (that is, a duplicate). Change the name of the group to name. name consists of a string of printable characters that may not include a colon or newline Add userlist to the supplementary group membership list of group. It should be used in conjunction with option. Modify the supplementary group membership list of group to userlist. It should be used in conjunction with option. Delete userlist from the supplementary group membership list of group. It should be used in conjunction with option. Specifies the list of users for modifying the supplementary group membership list of the group. When options and options are not specified, is assumed. NIS The command is aware of NIS user entries. Only local groups may be modified with Attempts to modify an NIS group will result in an error. NIS groups must be administered from the NIS server. If is used on a system where NIS is installed, it may fail with the error (return value 6) if the group specified is an NIS group (see group(4)). However, NIS groups are checked when verifying uniqueness of the new gid or new group name, which may result in the above error, or the error (return value 4). RETURN VALUE
The command exits with one of the following values: No error. Invalid command syntax. Invalid argument supplied to an option. gid is not unique (when is not used). group does not exist. group is not unique. Cannot modify the file. file or file busy. Another command may be modifying the file. Unable to open file or the file is non-existent. Exceeding permissible limit of maximum members in a group. The file is not modified. EXAMPLES
Change the group ID of the group to in the file if the group exists. This is done even if the group ID is already in use. Change the name of to in the file if the group does not already exist. WARNINGS
Because many users try to write to the file simultaneously, a password locking mechanism was devised. If this locking fails after subse- quent retrying, terminates. FILES
SEE ALSO
users(1), groupadd(1M), groupdel(1M), logins(1M), useradd(1M), userdel(1M), usermod(1M), group(4), usergroupname(5). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
groupmod(1M)