Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Script to adjust system time
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Script to adjust system time Post 302499956 by xaiu on Friday 25th of February 2011 09:20:21 PM
Old 02-25-2011
Script to adjust system time

Hello everyone,

I am trying to write a script that will accomplish the following:

- query current system time and store result into a variable
- wait for some amount of time, say 300 seconds
- reset system time to earlier queried time + 1 second

I did some basic shell scripting (CSH mainly) and took an intro to perl class in 2000 but have not touched either since, and as a result I really have no idea how to accomplish this task. I'm also not really sure how to do the math on the time since the systemsetup -settime requires hh:mm:ss, so at 59 seconds I'll run into a problem Smilie

I'm currently using OS X 10.6.6 and /bin says I have access to bash, csh, ksh, tcsh, and zsh. I have no preference for which shell the script runs in, although echo $SHELL says my current default is bash, if that makes any difference.

I would also like to use argv (or something similar) to define how many cycles I'd like to process to repeat and possibly to define the wait time as well instead of hard coding these into the script.

Thanks in advance!

Xaiu

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adjust the db script

Enclosing a script that is used everyday for database shutdown. In here you will find some code that checks oracle version. That part is very unnecessary since we use only 8.1.7 and will never go back.. Can anyone help me by modifying the code, to never use that part and readjust so script does... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ST2000
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to adjust spacing

Is there a way to adjust spacing of a line using k shell? e.g I have a file below $ cat file1 AAA BBB CCC A B C AAAA BB CC I want each word to be adjusted with spaces to have 10 character length like below: AAA BBB CCC A B C AAAA BB CC Any... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: stevefox
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

System time comparison to fixed defined time

I have a requirement of checking the current system time and performing certain actions in a shell script. example: if the current system time is greater than 1400 hrs, then perform step 1,2,3 if the current system time is greater than 1000 hrs, then perform step 1,2 if the current system time... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zainravi
2 Replies

4. Solaris

getting time independent of system time in solaries

i am using function gethrtime() in sun solaries to get the time independent of the system time.Problem with this function is if we restart the system time will change to '0'.is there any other way to resolve this problem. thanks & regards suresh (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: suresh_rtp
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to adjust network settings

Hello, Newbie question on scripting - I'm looking to create a simple script that will work on RHEL5 that will adjust the network settings: ip address, default gateway, and subnet mask. If anything else needs to be done (service network stop / start) or should be done to make settings active - I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rojizo
4 Replies

6. Solaris

can't adjust time : not owner

Hi experts, I m new to solaris. I am getting following errror in /var/adm/messages file on one of the solaris 10 zones - xntpd: Can't set time of day: Not owner xntpd daemon is online. Any help on this ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunadmin
3 Replies

7. Solaris

System time and Cron time stamp not matching

On Solaris 10 server the system date won't match with the timestamp on files created by a cron jobs, Please help here is what i get when i check for system date infodba-ie10ux014:/tcpdv1_ie10/tcadmin/bin\n\r-> date Tue Apr 24 15:27:43 GMT 2012at same time i executed a cron job, and checked... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: karghum
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

what would a script include to find CPU's %system time high and user time high?

Hi , I am trying to :wall: my head while scripting ..I am really new to this stuff , never did it before :( . how to find cpu's system high time and user time high in a script?? thanks , help would be appreciated ! :) (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: sushwey
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Additional time to system time

Hi All, Is there any command to add additional time to date command. I need to add 5 hours to the present system time. I am getting the time by using date command. WORKFLOW_START_TIME=`date +%m/%d/%Y\ %H:%M:%S` Thanks (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: nag_sathi
8 Replies

10. Linux

Time: Hwclock and System Time

Hey everyone. Upon studying linux trying to learn it inside and out, I'm reading about the issue of time. Hardware clock time vs the more commonly referenced System Time. What causes the two to grow apart, and what causes the time itself to stray away from UTC? at present my clock is a second and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Lost in Cyberia
1 Replies
SET_TIME_LIMIT(3)							 1							 SET_TIME_LIMIT(3)

set_time_limit - Limits the maximum execution time

SYNOPSIS
bool set_time_limit (int $seconds) DESCRIPTION
Set the number of seconds a script is allowed to run. If this is reached, the script returns a fatal error. The default limit is 30 sec- onds or, if it exists, the max_execution_time value defined in the php.ini. When called, set_time_limit(3) restarts the timeout counter from zero. In other words, if the timeout is the default 30 seconds, and 25 seconds into script execution a call such as set_time_limit(20) is made, the script will run for a total of 45 seconds before timing out. PARAMETERS
o $seconds - The maximum execution time, in seconds. If set to zero, no time limit is imposed. RETURN VALUES
Returns TRUE on success, or FALSE on failure. NOTES
Warning This function has no effect when PHP is running in safe mode. There is no workaround other than turning off safe mode or changing the time limit in the php.ini. Note The set_time_limit(3) function and the configuration directive max_execution_time only affect the execution time of the script itself. Any time spent on activity that happens outside the execution of the script such as system calls using system(3), stream operations, database queries, etc. is not included when determining the maximum time that the script has been running. This is not true on Windows where the measured time is real. SEE ALSO
max_execution_time, max_input_time. PHP Documentation Group SET_TIME_LIMIT(3)