Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Dummy hdisk in AIX 6.1
Operating Systems AIX Dummy hdisk in AIX 6.1 Post 302499566 by kah00na on Thursday 24th of February 2011 05:24:07 PM
Old 02-24-2011
Dummy hdisk in AIX 6.1

How do you create a dummy hdisk with AIX 6.1? In previous versions, I've used this and works, but now I get this error.
Code:
hostname:/:# mkdev -l hdisk57 -c disk -t osdisk -s scsi -p fscsi0 -w 0,10 -d
Method error (/etc/methods/define):
        0514-022 The specified connection is not valid.

Any ideas?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

AIX hdisk error

Does anyone have an idea what this means? hdisk10 is part of vg1. (vg1 has 11 hdisks) I get this msg every morning @ 5:04 CST This is the orignal message: A PROBLEM WAS DETECTED ON Fri Aug 17 03:02:09 PDT 2001 801014 The Service Request Number(s)/Probable Cause or... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Optimus_P
2 Replies

2. AIX

vpath to an hdisk

Is there a simply way for me to map a vpath to an hdisk on AIX 5.2? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: 2dumb
5 Replies

3. AIX

VPATHS and HDisk/not able to add to NR-VG

When I list the PV's using lspv i see both vpath and hdisk names being listed. I got the info that each vpath is configured for 4 hdisks. Problem is I am not able to add either the hard disks in vpath to the existing non-rootvg. ? need to know the basics of vpath .. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nivaspIND
4 Replies

4. AIX

load_balance or round_robin on hdisk

Hi, in an environment with svc's and ds8xxx wat disk algorithm should be used and what is the difference here: I can set the algorithm to Load_balance and to Round_robin (see output below). some info: hdisk3 ******** MPIO FC 2145 devices.sddpcm.53.rte 2.2.0.0 COMMITTED ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: raba
1 Replies

5. AIX

Flashcopy, ghost hdisk ??

Hi all, I'm getting some errors on AIX regarding Flashcopy and volume group hard disks. The script that activates flashcopy showed this errors: Recreating Flashcopy for lun01_A1 Performing syntax check... Syntax check complete. Executing script... Script execution complete. SMcli... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: enux
1 Replies

6. AIX

I am a NEW Dummy here(AIX telnet)

I work for a health care company part of my job is to run checks we use a telnet session that we use AIX 6 commands. I have almost no programming experience but i want to learn it, we have a programmer here but he has no time my question is,, Is there anything that allows you to program a GUI... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jtechie3
7 Replies

7. AIX

Quorum and hdisk issue

Hi. I found an issue with my appvg present in my server.my server is a single node and not part of hacmp. pmut3# lspv hdisk0 00c5c9cf92ebb96a rootvg active hdisk1 00c5c9cfcf30eee9 appvg hdisk2 00c5c9cfcf30ef98 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: newtoaixos
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Fetching hdisk sequence

Hi, Planning to implement script to fetch whether the hdisks are in proper sequence. Need output for incorrect sequence Correct #lspv hdisk0 hdisk1 hdisk2 :::::::::::: hdisk5 Incorrect sequence #lspv hdisk0 hdisk6 hdisk7 hdisk10 Any idea pls share (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ksgnathan
2 Replies

9. AIX

AIX hdisk Mirror vs alt_clone

Hello, I have two hdisk in Power7 machine, the rootvg on hdisk0. So to make a disk redundancy should make mirror or alt_clone and what is the different. Appreciate your help Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: moudmm
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Unable to install client AIX LPAR to vscsi hdisk provided from VIOS

Hi everybody, I have Power5 server with 4 internal hdisks each of 70Gb. VIOS server was installed via Virtual I/O Server Image Repository on the HMC. HMC release - 7.7.0 VIOS rootvg installed on 2 disk(these disks merged to one storage pool during VIOS install process),and 2 others hdisks... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ravil Khalilov
2 Replies
DUMMY-UPS(8)							    NUT Manual							      DUMMY-UPS(8)

NAME
dummy-ups - Driver for multi-purpose UPS emulation NOTE
This man page only documents the specific features of the dummy-ups driver. For information about the core driver, see nutupsdrv(8). DESCRIPTION
This program is a multi-purpose UPS emulation tool. Its behavior depends on the running mode: Dummy Mode dummy-ups looks like a standard device driver to upsd(8) and allows one to change any value for testing purposes. It is both interactive, controllable through the upsrw(1) and upscmd(1) commands (or equivalent graphical tool), and batchable through script files. It can be configured, launched and used as any other real driver. This mode is mostly useful for development and testing purposes. Repeater Mode dummy-ups acts as a NUT client, simply forwarding data. This can be useful for supervision purposes. This can also allow some load sharing between several UPS instances, using a point-to-point communication with the UPS. IMPLEMENTATION
The port specification depends on the running mode, and allows the driver to select the right mode. Dummy Mode Port is a definition file name for dummy-ups. This can either be an absolute or a relative path name. In the latter case the NUT sysconfig directory (ie /etc/nut, /usr/local/ups/etc, ...) is prepended. For instance: [dummy] driver = dummy-ups port = evolution500.dev desc = "dummy-ups in dummy mode" This file is generally named "something.dev". It contains a list of all valid data and associated values, and has the same format as an upsc(8) dump (<varname>: <value>). So you can easily create definition files from an existing UPS using "upsc > file.dev". It can also be empty, in which case only a basic set of data is available: device., driver., ups.mfr, ups.model, ups.status Samples definition files are available in the "data" directory of the nut source tree, and generally in the sysconfig directory of your system distribution. Since dummy-ups will loop on reading this file, you can dynamically modify it to interact with the driver. This will avoid message spam into your system log files, if you are using NUT default configuration. You can also use the "TIMER <seconds>" instruction to create scheduled events sequences. For example, the following sequence will loop on switching ups.status between "OL", "OB" and "OB LB" every minute: ups.status: OL TIMER 60 ups.status: OB TIMER 60 ups.status: LB TIMER 60 It is wise to end the script with a TIMER. Otherwise dummy-ups will directly go back to the beginning of the file. Repeater Mode Port is the name of a remote UPS, using the NUT form, ie: <upsname>[@<hostname>[:<port>]] For instance: [repeater] driver = dummy-ups port = ups@hostname desc = "dummy-ups in repeater mode" INTERACTION
Once the driver is loaded in dummy mode, you can change any variables, except those of the driver.* and server.* collections. You can do this by either editing the definition file, or use the upsrw(1) and upscmd(1) commands. Note that in simulation mode, new variables can be added on the fly, by adding these to the definition file. Conversely, if you need to remove variable (such as transient ones, like ups.alarm), simply update these by setting an empty value. As a result, they will get removed from the data. In repeater mode, the driver acts according to the capabilities of the UPS, and so support the same instant commands and settable values. BACKGROUND
This driver was written in one evening to replace the previous dummycons testing driver. It was too limited and required to work from a terminal to interact. dummy-ups is useful for NUT client development, and other testing purpose. It also helps the NUT Quality Assurance effort, by automating some tests on the NUT framework. It now offers a repeater mode. This will help in building the Meta UPS approach, which allows one to build a virtual device, composed of several other devices (either UPS, PDUs). BUGS
Instant commands are not yet supported in Dummy Mode, and data need name/value checking enforcement, as well as boundaries or enumeration definition. AUTHOR
Arnaud Quette SEE ALSO
upscmd(1), upsrw(1), ups.conf(5), nutupsdrv(8) Internet Resources: The NUT (Network UPS Tools) home page: http://www.networkupstools.org/ Network UPS Tools 05/21/2012 DUMMY-UPS(8)