Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Grep but ignore first column
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Grep but ignore first column Post 302496898 by vgersh99 on Tuesday 15th of February 2011 04:12:21 PM
Old 02-15-2011
grep for 'NAC' in the SECOND column
Code:
nawk 'pat ~ $col' pat='NAC' col=2 myFile

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

ignore fields to check in grep

Hi, I have a pipe delimited file. I am checking for junk characters ( non printable characters and unicode values). I am using the following code grep '' file.txt But i want to ignore the name fields. For example field2 is firstname so i want to ignore if the junk characters occur... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashwin3086
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk code to ignore the first occurence unknown number of rows in a data column

Hello experts, Shown below is the 2 column sample data(there are many data columns in actual input file), Key, Data A, 1 A, 2 A, 2 A, 3 A, 1 A, 1 A, 1 I need the below output. Key, Data A, 2 A, 2 A, 3 A, 1 A, 1 A, 1 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ks_reddy
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep regex to ignore sequence only if surrounded by fwd-slashes

Hi, I've got a regex match to perform in a Bash script and can't quite get it right. Basically I want to match all IP address like sequences in a file which may or may not contain an IP address but with the extra qualification of ignoring any IP-like sequence which begins and ends with a... (27 Replies)
Discussion started by: gencon
27 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to awk or grep the last column in file when date on column contains spaces?

Hi have a large spreadsheet which has 4 columns APM00111803814 server_2 96085 Corp IT Desktop and Apps APM00111803814 server_2 96085 Corp IT Desktop and Apps APM00111803814 server_2 96034 Storage Mgmt Team APM00111803814 server_2 96152 GWP... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kieranfoley
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ignore delimiter within a column

Hi, So I was trying this awk snippet awk -F, '$1 ~ /Match/' File This is my sample file output Name,Age,Nationality,Description Jack,20,American,Tall, caucasian, lean Mary,30,British,Short,white,slim I would expect expected Output to be, when a certain match is met say $1 is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sidnow
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep command to ignore line starting with hyphen

Hi, I want to read a file line by line and exclude the lines that are beginning with special characters. The below code is working fine except when the line starts with hyphen (-) in the file. for TEST in `cat $FILE | grep -E -v '#|/+' | awk '{FS=":"}NF > 0{print $1}'` do . . done How... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Srinraj Rao
4 Replies

7. SCO

Grep to ignore suffix & find end of line

In COBOL, a hyphen can be used in a field name and in a specific program some field names would be identical to others except a suffix was added--sometimes a suffix to a suffix was used. For example, assume I am looking for AAA, AAA-BBB, and AAA-BBB-CCC and don't want to look at AAA-BBB-CCC... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: wbport
7 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Grep A Column Based On Column Name

I have a file with two columns separated by white space. Dog Cat fido sneaky dopey poptart ears whisker barky herd Trying to list the words under the column named Dog. Tried a few variations of awk but can't... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimmyf
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep and ignore list from file

cat /tmp/i.txt '(ORA-28001|ORA-00100|ORA-28001|ORA-20026|ORA-20025|ORA-02291|ORA-01458|ORA-01017|ORA-1017|ORA-28000|ORA-06512|ORA-06512|Domestic Phone|ENCRYPTION)' grep -ia 'ORA-\{5\}:' Rep* |grep -iavE `cat /tmp/i.txt` grep: Unmatched ( or \( Please tell me why am i getting that (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jhonnyrip
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep values from column 2 in reference of column 1

Gents Is it possible to update the code to get the desired output files from the input list. I called variable to the first column. I need to consider the first column as key to grep the values in the second column according to the desired request. input list (attached ) output1 ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: jiam912
12 Replies
col(1)								   User Commands							    col(1)

NAME
col - reverse line-feeds filter SYNOPSIS
col [-bfpx] DESCRIPTION
The col utility reads from the standard input and writes to the standard output. It performs the line overlays implied by reverse line- feeds, and by forward and reverse half-line-feeds. Unless -x is used, all blank characters in the input will be converted to tab characters wherever possible. col is particularly useful for filtering multi-column output made with the .rt command of nroff(1) and output resulting from use of the tbl(1) preprocessor. The ASCII control characters SO and SI are assumed by col to start and end text in an alternative character set. The character set to which each input character belongs is remembered, and on output SI and SO characters are generated as appropriate to ensure that each character is written in the correct character set. On input, the only control characters accepted are space, backspace, tab, carriage-return and newline characters, SI, SO, VT, reverse line- feed, forward half-line-feed and reverse half-line-feed. The VT character is an alternative form of full reverse line-feed, included for compatibility with some earlier programs of this type. The only other characters to be copied to the output are those that are printable. The ASCII codes for the control functions and line-motion sequences mentioned above are as given in the table below. ESC stands for the ASCII escape character, with the octal code 033; ESC- means a sequence of two characters, ESC followed by the character x. reverse line-feed ESC-7 reverse half-line-feed ESC-8 forward half-line-feed ESC-9 vertical-tab (VT) 013 start-of-text (SO) 016 end-of-text (SI) 017 OPTIONS
-b Assume that the output device in use is not capable of backspacing. In this case, if two or more characters are to appear in the same place, only the last one read will be output. -f Although col accepts half-line motions in its input, it normally does not emit them on output. Instead, text that would appear between lines is moved to the next lower full-line boundary. This treatment can be suppressed by the -f (fine) option; in this case, the output from col may contain forward half-line-feeds (ESC-9), but will still never contain either kind of reverse line motion. -p Normally, col will ignore any escape sequences unknown to it that are found in its input; the -p option may be used to cause col to output these sequences as regular characters, subject to overprinting from reverse line motions. The use of this option is highly discouraged unless the user is fully aware of the textual position of the escape sequences. -x Prevent col from converting blank characters to tab characters on output wherever possible. Tab stops are considered to be at each column position n such that n modulo 8 equals 1. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of col: LC_CTYPE, LC_MESSAGES, and NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The following error values are returned: 0 Successful completion. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWesu | |CSI |enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
nroff(1), tbl(1), ascii(5), attributes(5), environ(5) NOTES
The input format accepted by col matches the output produced by nroff with either the -T37 or -Tlp options. Use -T37 (and the -f option of col) if the ultimate disposition of the output of col will be a device that can interpret half-line motions, and -Tlp otherwise. col cannot back up more than 128 lines or handle more than 800 characters per line. Local vertical motions that would result in backing up over the first line of the document are ignored. As a result, the first line must not have any superscripts. SunOS 5.11 1 Feb 1995 col(1)