Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk built-in variable for input file Post 302494891 by Scott on Tuesday 8th of February 2011 06:56:35 PM
Old 02-08-2011
Code:
$ echo "this is file1" > file1
$ echo "this is file2" > file2

$ awk '{ print FILENAME ":" $0 }' file1 file2
file1:this is file1
file2:this is file2

HTH

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

built in variable to hold the name of therunning script...

Hi, I have multiple functions that can be called by any shell script. These functions have inbuilt echo statements to logs their activity into a log file. When I run multiple shell scripts that call these functions, they all log into the same log file and I am not able to differentiate which... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: new_learner
2 Replies

2. UNIX and Linux Applications

Input a variable and write to a file using awk

Hi I am trying to edit a csv file. Bacically I need to input a search variable and the value that must be changed in one of the fields corresponding to that searched variable. My csv file looks like so: 1,1A,5 1,1B,2 1,1C,3 2,2A,7 2,2B,4 2,2C,0 3,3A,1 3,3B,6 3,3C,4 I want to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ladyAnne
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Variable assignments specified with eval shell built-in

According to the POSIX specifications eval is a special shell built-in, which should imply that variable assignments specified together with it should remain in effect after the built-in completes. Thus one would expect IFS to be changed after this: var=$'a\nb c' $ IFS=$'\n' eval ' for i in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Scrutinizer
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Newline in my script-built shell variable

Hi all, I'm not exactly a shell script guru, so this is probably a very silly question and I'm not seeing the point, but you know, sometimes it happens... I have this script which adds entries to local arp cache using it to find the corresponding IP address. # export MAC=00:25:90:34:3d:f2... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: micantox
16 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable as input to awk command

Hi Gurus, I need a suggestion, please help. I have a input file as below : abc.txt : * xxxx: 00000 xxxxx: 00000 xxxx: RANDOM xxx: RANDOM **************************xxxxxxx*** * abc ****************************** abc: abc: ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunshankar.c
3 Replies

6. Programming

take input from a variable as pattern to awk

Hi everyone, Can anyone tell me how to take contents of a variable as a pattern for awk command. Am doing as below, but doesnt get any output: $c = "Tue Dec"; $log = ` awk '/ \$c /' in.txt`; print $log; (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: anandrec
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing variable as an input file to AWK comand

Hi, I would like to compare 2 files using awk, which I can do by using: awk 'NR==FNR{a;next} (NR > 32 && $2 in a) {print $0}' File1 and File2. If the name of the File1 is in another file (for example, column 4 in File 3) then how can I pass this column 4 to the awk command. Thanks in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ezhil01
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Call a awk script with variable and input filename

HI, MY question is a very simple one: if i want to call an awk script with the input file name and also pass a variable value , then how to do it. #>awk -f my_script.awk -v variable=value my_inputfile.txt I can't do it like this. throws error: awk: my_script.awk:18:... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Onkar Banerjee
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

XML variable for input in same input file

Dear All , i stuck in one problem executing xml .. i have input xml as <COMMAND name="ARRANGEMENT.WRITE" timestamp="0" so="initial"> <SVLOBJECT> <LONG name="CSP_PMNT_ID" val="-1"/> <MONEY name="CSP_CEILING" amount="0.0" currency="AUD"/> ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: arvindng
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable input to awk script

Hi guys, I wrote the following function to compare two csv files column by column. However, sometimes the input needs to be sorted before parsing it to awk. I can do this by changing the awk arguments, but I would like to make this variable if possible. The below doesn't work since the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Subbeh
3 Replies
English(3pm)						 Perl Programmers Reference Guide					      English(3pm)

NAME
English - use nice English (or awk) names for ugly punctuation variables SYNOPSIS
use English; use English qw( -no_match_vars ) ; # Avoids regex performance penalty # in perl 5.16 and earlier ... if ($ERRNO =~ /denied/) { ... } DESCRIPTION
This module provides aliases for the built-in variables whose names no one seems to like to read. Variables with side-effects which get triggered just by accessing them (like $0) will still be affected. For those variables that have an awk version, both long and short English alternatives are provided. For example, the $/ variable can be referred to either $RS or $INPUT_RECORD_SEPARATOR if you are using the English module. See perlvar for a complete list of these. PERFORMANCE
NOTE: This was fixed in perl 5.20. Mentioning these three variables no longer makes a speed difference. This section still applies if your code is to run on perl 5.18 or earlier. This module can provoke sizeable inefficiencies for regular expressions, due to unfortunate implementation details. If performance matters in your application and you don't need $PREMATCH, $MATCH, or $POSTMATCH, try doing use English qw( -no_match_vars ) ; . It is especially important to do this in modules to avoid penalizing all applications which use them. perl v5.18.2 2014-01-06 English(3pm)