Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers need help changing the vga mode Post 302493811 by neur0n on Thursday 3rd of February 2011 06:19:42 PM
Old 02-03-2011
anyone?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

VGA to 13W UPA graphics

Hello, I have a Sun Ultra2 with a 13W type Creator Graphics card. My old Sun monitor has failed. Is the an adaptor or cable that I could find which will allow me to use a VGA type monitor? If so who sells them? Thanks, Jim (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: stocksj
2 Replies

2. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Vga Installation

what is the procedure of installing a vga on the unix desktop? i have a dell machine optiplex gx 520 and it doesnt pick the vga i tryed other vga s but graphics are so poor? pls help. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Linus Aloo
2 Replies

3. Solaris

Ultra 10 -> VGA Monitor Help

I have a vga card in my Ultra 10. How can I activate it in my Ultra 10 box which is currently still running off the Sun CRT Monitor port? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: revzalot
2 Replies

4. Solaris

changing time in cluster mode sun solaris

Howdy experts, I am using two Sun-Fire-T200 which is in Cluster mode (sun cluster 3.1). Also Oracle RAC is running on those. A daylight saving i need to apply in both servers. I am not using any ntp server. I just plan to change the date with simple date command. Change date in 1st node.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: thepurple
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

changing mode of files in subdirectories

Hi I actually need to change the mode to 777 in the current directory as well as subdirectories how to achieve that. I have /usr/sol/home/workfold as the main directory there are many directies and files in the workfold directory . I need to chmod 777 to all the directories and files under... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ssuresh1999
2 Replies

6. Programming

vga assembly question

Im trying to make a vga program for linux Im wondering if anyone knows of a simple document on the subject or if someone could show me some basics. What system calls should I use what parameters should I give them. How do I draw a line of pixels green after in vga mode. I prefer nasm but I can use... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Errigour
2 Replies

7. Linux

UNIX - FTP changing the mode while transfering the files

Hi, I have to transfer my files using FTP. Few files are in Zipped format (.Z) and few are in .PX format . For zipped files, we need to change the mode to binary while transferring the files whereas for the px files the mode should be ascii. Eg: sample1.z sample2.z sample3.z sample.px ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vidlaks
2 Replies

8. AIX

No VGA card and I need to know server IP

Dear All, I have Power7 server, and I want to know its IP address. The server have no VGA card, only serial port. Kindly tell me how to know its IP using serial cable? Thanks a lot (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mohannad
5 Replies

9. Linux

Vga passtrough with only one monitor,is possible?

I have one monitor,two vga cards,one is nvidia(host) the other ati rs450(guest),I use this script for use a vm windows with a native gpu(the ati rs450) I see this video and seems to be possible using only one monitor,but I don't understand how to do The video QEMU VGA passthrough without a... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Linusolaradm1
0 Replies

10. Hardware

VGA distributor hardware detection

Hi, I am trying to find the monitor information attach to my system. To get the detail I have decoded the information available in edid file using edid-decode utility. The file is available at /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:01.0/drm/card0/card0-VGA-1/edid After decoding edid file I get... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: diehard
4 Replies
VGA(4)							   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 						    VGA(4)

NAME
vga -- VGA graphics driver for wscons SYNOPSIS
options VGA_CONSOLE_SCREENTYPE="??x??" options VGA_CONSOLE_ATI_BROKEN_FONTSEL vga0 at isa? vga* at pci? wsdisplay* at vga? console ? DESCRIPTION
This driver handles VGA graphics hardware within the wscons(4) console framework. It doesn't provide direct device driver entry points but makes its functions available via the internal wsdisplay(4) interface. The vga driver supports text-mode hardware acceleration on the VGA hardware. Currently, the driver runs the display with a 720x400 pixel resolution. The VGA text-mode accelerator divides the display into fixed-size character cells. The size of the character cells specifies the number of characters available on the screen and the resolution of the font. The wsdisplay screen ``types'' supported by the vga driver are described by the number of character cells available on the screen. See below for a complete list of supported screen modes in the vga driver. Each screen mode requires a suitable font to be loaded into the kernel by the wsfontload(8) utility, before the screen can be used. The size of the font and the screen mode must match for use on the 720x400 display. For example, a screen mode with 80 columns and 40 rows requires a font where each character is 8 pixels wide and 10 pixels high. The vga driver can display fonts of the original IBM type and ISO-8859-1 encoded fonts. A builtin font of 256 characters and 8x16 pixels is always present on the VGA hardware. The colour VGA hardware supports the display of 16 different colours at the same time. It is possible with VGA colour systems to use fonts with 512 characters at any one time. This is due to the fact that with VGA adapters one can specify an alternate font to be used instead of bright letters (used for highlighting on the screen). As an experimental feature, the ``higher half'' fonts of the former NetBSD/i386 pcvt driver distribution can be used too if the kernel option ``WSCONS_SUPPORT_PCVTFONTS'' was set at compile time. This is only useful with the ``*bf'' screen types; a font containing the ASCII range of characters must be available too on this screen. Currently, the following screen types are supported: 80x25 This is the standard VGA text mode with 80 columns and 25 rows. Sixteen different colors can be displayed at the same time. Charac- ters are 8x16 pixels, and a font consists of 256 characters. 80x25bf is a modified version of the previous. It only allows 8 colors to be displayed. In exchange, it can access two fonts at the same time, so that 512 different characters can be displayed. 80x40 A text mode with 80 columns and 40 rows. Similar to the standard mode, 16 colors and 256 characters are available. Characters are 8x10 pixels. For this mode to be useful, a font of that character size must be downloaded. 80x40bf is analogously to ``80x25bf'' a version with 512 displayable characters but 8 colors only. 80x50 A text mode with 80 columns and 50 rows. Similar to the standard mode, 16 colors and 256 characters are available. Characters are 8x8 pixels. For this mode to be useful, a font of that character size must be downloaded. 80x50bf is analogously to ``80x25bf'' a version with 512 displayable characters but 8 colors only. 80x24 is a variant of the ``80x25'' screen type which displays 24 lines only. It uses the standard 8x16 VGA font. This mode might be use- ful for applications which depend on closer DEC VT100 compatibility. 80x24bf Analogously, like ``80x24'' but with 512 character slots and 8 colors. If you have an Ati videocard and you are experiencing problems with fonts other than 80x25, you can try to set options VGA_CONSOLE_ATI_BROKEN_FONTSEL in you kernel configuration and see if it helps. The vga driver supports multiple virtual screens on one physical display. The screens allocated on one display can be of different ``types''. The type is determined at the time the virtual screen is created and can't be changed later. Screens are either created at ker- nel startup (then the default type is used) or later with help of the wsconscfg(8) utility. SEE ALSO
isa(4), pcdisplay(4), pci(4), wscons(4), wsconscfg(8), wsfontload(8) BUGS
Only a subset of the possible text modes is supported. VGA cards are supposed to emulate an MDA if a monochrome display is connected. In this case, the device will naturally not support colors at all, but offer the capability to display underlined characters instead. The ``80x25bf'', ``80x40bf'', ``80x50bf'' and ``80x24bf'' screen types will not be available. This mode of operation has not been tested. BSD
May 4, 2003 BSD