Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming AIX linker oddities...what is going on? Post 302491559 by DreamWarrior on Thursday 27th of January 2011 06:04:26 PM
Old 01-27-2011
I'll check out libtool...but we've already fought to get some freeware tools installed and it was hard enough to win those battles...I'm not sure I want to fight another yet, lol.

As for Corona's Q: as far as developing goes, I've just felt that HP-UX has been the easiest to work with. Things just seem to compile and run well and as expected.

Jumping over to Linux I've been hit with times when an application just randomly seems to die and the core file is useless. We never had that in HP-UX, if it core'd we could use the core and figure out what happened. Plus, much of the code in Linux is the same as it was in HP-UX and the code ran more stable in HP-UX. Could it be our code...sure...but many of the times we have tracked down issues it was because Linux was just less tolerant or, worse, buggy itself and we had to code around its issues.

AIX is somewhere in between. It does seem pretty stable compared to Linux. However, sometimes intuition and AIX just don't go hand in hand. It is as if IBM went out of their way to do something just different enough to mess with you, lol -- like this weird linker crap, lol. While it is more stable...nothing else in it is better than Linux, IMO. They just run away with things like a Microsoft...trying to make it better than other people's stuff but getting in their own way when doing so.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Linker (ld)

hai I have installed Linux 7.0 on my system and i have an doubt the linker i ran simple hello.c program with gcc compiler gcc -c hello.c i want linker to produce the output so i put on the command line as ld first.o -lc but it is not running ver properly but there is an... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rajashekaran
1 Replies

2. Solaris

ftp oddities

I have recently set up a connection b/t a sun ultra 60 running solaris 8 and a regular old pc running XP. Unfortunately I only know a little bit about networking thanks to Winblows plug and play mentality. Can anyone tell me why my connection from PC to sun is intermittant? The IP is always... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Serious_Lee
2 Replies

3. HP-UX

dynamic linker error

Hi All Could anyone help in giving a little background to the following runtime error. /usr/lib/pa20_64/dld.sl: Mmap failed due to errno: 13. Seen when executing a 64-bit ELF executable. Thanks Ed (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: C3000
3 Replies

4. Linux

G++ Linker Error

Hi All, I m new to this group. I m facing one problem during my linking of CPP code at Linux env. after compliation i m getting error "undefined reference to ....." Please anyone help me to resolve this error. Regards, ASR make: Leaving directory /fwk' echo g++ -o server ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ASRRAJ
1 Replies

5. HP-UX

Hp-ux linker option -c

Hi, The necessary symbols in a shared library can be exported to the application using linker option --version-script in Linux. The same can be done in Hp-ux using linker option +e. This can also be done by listing all the global symbols with +e in a file with linker option ld -c filename in... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: roopa_v
0 Replies

6. Programming

GCC: Choose my own linker

Hi, I do not use the default linker, and instead us another one and pass this argument -Wl,--dynamic-linker=<path to linker> to gcc when compiling. However, what happens if the linker is not under /lib and /lib64 and I am not able to create a symlink to the linker in /lib or /lib64 due to no... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shompis
2 Replies

7. Programming

gcc linker address

Hai, I have two (Pgm1.c and Pgm2.c) simple programs, which is compiled using gcc. Now we have two exe's (Pgm1 and Pgm2). When i executed the nm Pgm1 and nm Pgm2, in the listed symbols the address of main is same for both programs (08048344 T main) at run time also. Doubt: 1) What is this... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajamohan
3 Replies

8. Solaris

runtime linker errors

Hey guys I have a solaris 10 OS, with a zone configured. In that zone, I am trying to install an Oracle Client. However, when I run the oracle installer, I get the following error: ld.so.1: java: fatal: libexpat.so.0: open failed: No such file or directory ld.so.1: java: fatal:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: goodvikings
2 Replies

9. Solaris

Runtime Linker Problems ld.so.1

Hello all, I am releatively new to Solaris and I am the System administrator for my branch at the FAA. This is the first time I can say I have really messed something up thankfully. My issue came up after installing and uninstalling Oracle Secure Backup which i felt I needed to do a clean... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jbirkes
7 Replies
KILL(1) 							Linux User's Manual							   KILL(1)

NAME
kill - send a signal to a process SYNOPSIS
kill [ -signal | -s signal ] pid ... kill [ -L | -V, --version ] kill -l [ signal ] DESCRIPTION
The default signal for kill is TERM. Use -l or -L to list available signals. Particularly useful signals include HUP, INT, KILL, STOP, CONT, and 0. Alternate signals may be specified in three ways: -9 -SIGKILL -KILL. Negative PID values may be used to choose whole process groups; see the PGID column in ps command output. A PID of -1 is special; it indicates all processes except the kill process itself and init. SIGNALS
The signals listed below may be available for use with kill. When known constant, numbers and default behavior are shown. Name Num Action Description 0 0 n/a exit code indicates if a signal may be sent ALRM 14 exit HUP 1 exit INT 2 exit KILL 9 exit cannot be blocked PIPE 13 exit POLL exit PROF exit TERM 15 exit USR1 exit USR2 exit VTALRM exit STKFLT exit might not be implemented PWR ignore might exit on some systems WINCH ignore CHLD ignore URG ignore TSTP stop might interact with the shell TTIN stop might interact with the shell TTOU stop might interact with the shell STOP stop cannot be blocked CONT restart continue if stopped, otherwise ignore ABRT 6 core FPE 8 core ILL 4 core QUIT 3 core SEGV 11 core TRAP 5 core SYS core might not be implemented EMT core might not be implemented BUS core core dump might fail XCPU core core dump might fail XFSZ core core dump might fail NOTES
Your shell (command line interpreter) may have a built-in kill command. You may need to run the command described here as /bin/kill to solve the conflict. EXAMPLES
kill -9 -1 Kill all processes you can kill. kill -l 11 Translate number 11 into a signal name. kill -L List the available signal choices in a nice table. kill 123 543 2341 3453 Send the default signal, SIGTERM, to all those processes. SEE ALSO
pkill(1), skill(1), kill(2), renice(1), nice(1), signal(7), killall(1). STANDARDS
This command meets appropriate standards. The -L flag is Linux-specific. AUTHOR
Albert Cahalan <albert@users.sf.net> wrote kill in 1999 to replace a bsdutils one that was not standards compliant. The util-linux one might also work correctly. Please send bug reports to <procps-feedback@lists.sf.net> Linux November 21, 1999 KILL(1)