Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Modification of Two Files
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Modification of Two Files Post 302490067 by rdcwayx on Sunday 23rd of January 2011 08:08:45 PM
Old 01-23-2011
look into 'man paste'

-d, --delimiters=LIST
reuse characters from LIST instead of TABs

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Last modification times of files less than 6 months old

How do I get the modification time for files less than 6 months old? (It seems for fles as old or older than this I get to see only the day,month and year. I tried the option -u but it gives me the last accessed time) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Abhishek Ghose
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy files based on modification date

How to copy files from a location to a directory <YYMM> based on last modification date? This will need to run daily. I want to copy those file for May to 0905 and Jun to 0906. Appreciate your guidance.:) Thanks. -rw-rw-rw- 1 ttusr tgrp 4514 May 29 21:49 AB24279J.lot_a... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: KhawHL
17 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Archive Files over certain modification time

Environment is cygwin on Windows Server 2003 as I could not think how I would achieve this using Windows tools. What I want ot achieve is the following. I have a Directory D:\Data which contains further subfolders and files. I need to move "files" older than 6 months modification time to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jelloir
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

List the file or files with last modification date

hi. I need help my programing friends :p I need to list all the files with a certain name (for example FileName) by last modification date but only the one with the last date. If there are two files with the same name and same modification date it should print the both. For example in this set... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: KitFisto
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Help with sorting files according to modification date

Hi, I was very surprised to not be able to find an answer to this question despite my best efforts in Google and elsewhere. Maybe it's a good thing as it forced me to finally become a member in this great forum that i use frequently. Ok my question: I want to be able to sort files inside a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: stavros
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename old files with last modification date

Hi everyone, I have files like file1_Mod.txt, file2_Mod.txt. I want to rename the old files with the last modification date. I write the below script to rename with current date, but I donīt know how to use "date -r" to get the last modification date with the same format I have below... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cgkmal
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare the files in 2 different servers for change or modification

I have the following requirement; I need to compare set of files in 2 different servers A and B. Both have same sets of files and directory structure First I need to move the files from Server A to server B Compare the corresponding file in B server and see if it has modified (not... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vskr72
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ls ignoring files from their modification time

Hi everyone, I'd like to know if is there a way to list files but ignoring some according to their modification time (or creation, access time, etc.) with the command 'ls' alone. I know the option -I exist, but it seems to only looking in the file name.. Thank you in advance for the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Keyhaku
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Modification of MySQLDump-files before compression needed

Hi @all! In my MySQL-backup-script I backup and compress every single table with this command: /usr/bin/mysqldump --opt database_x table_y | /usr/bin/pbzip2 -c > "/media/BackUpDrive/Backup/table_x.gz"Unfortunately these files need modification - they have to start with the following line(s):... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: gogo555
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sort and move multiple files by modification date

Hi I have a problem, I have a large group of archive files in a folder some are later versions of the same archive, the only difference btween them is that the archiving program we use appends the name with a code for it to keep track of in its data base, and the modification date. I am starting... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Paul Walker
6 Replies
DIFF(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   DIFF(1)

NAME
diff - differential file comparator SYNOPSIS
diff [ -efbh ] file1 file2 DESCRIPTION
Diff tells what lines must be changed in two files to bring them into agreement. If file1 (file2) is `-', the standard input is used. If file1 (file2) is a directory, then a file in that directory whose file-name is the same as the file-name of file2 (file1) is used. The normal output contains lines of these forms: n1 a n3,n4 n1,n2 d n3 n1,n2 c n3,n4 These lines resemble ed commands to convert file1 into file2. The numbers after the letters pertain to file2. In fact, by exchanging `a' for `d' and reading backward one may ascertain equally how to convert file2 into file1. As in ed, identical pairs where n1 = n2 or n3 = n4 are abbreviated as a single number. Following each of these lines come all the lines that are affected in the first file flagged by `<', then all the lines that are affected in the second file flagged by `>'. The -b option causes trailing blanks (spaces and tabs) to be ignored and other strings of blanks to compare equal. The -e option produces a script of a, c and d commands for the editor ed, which will recreate file2 from file1. The -f option produces a similar script, not useful with ed, in the opposite order. In connection with -e, the following shell program may help maintain multiple versions of a file. Only an ancestral file ($1) and a chain of version-to-version ed scripts ($2,$3,...) made by diff need be on hand. A `latest version' appears on the standard output. (shift; cat $*; echo '1,$p') | ed - $1 Except in rare circumstances, diff finds a smallest sufficient set of file differences. Option -h does a fast, half-hearted job. It works only when changed stretches are short and well separated, but does work on files of unlimited length. Options -e and -f are unavailable with -h. FILES
/tmp/d????? /usr/lib/diffh for -h SEE ALSO
cmp(1), comm(1), ed(1) DIAGNOSTICS
Exit status is 0 for no differences, 1 for some, 2 for trouble. BUGS
Editing scripts produced under the -e or -f option are naive about creating lines consisting of a single `.'. DIFF(1)