Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: UNIX Special files
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers UNIX Special files Post 302489891 by vgersh99 on Saturday 22nd of January 2011 08:35:16 AM
Old 01-22-2011
Google looks reasonably promising. You'll have to do your own reading/writing.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix file does not display special characters

We have a unix file that contains special characters (ie. Ñ, °, É, ¿ , £ , ø ). When I try to read this file I get a codepage error and the characters are replaced by the # symbol. How do I keep the special characters from being read? Thanks. Ryan (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ryan2786
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

rename more files special case

hello all i have a big problems for me if i have more files as example test.ghrt.part01.rar test.ghrt.part02.rar test.ghrt.part03.rar test.ghrt.part04.rar test.ghrt.part05.rar test.ghrt.part06.rar test.ghrt.part07.rar test.ghrt.part08.rar test.ghrt.part09.rar test.ghrt.part10.rar... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: ateya
13 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix Perl split special character $

All I'm trying to split a string at the $ into arrays @data:=<dataFile> a $3.33 b $4.44 dfg $0.56 The split command I have been playing with is: split(/\$/, @data) which results with a .33 b .44 dfg .56 any help with this is appreciated /r Rick (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: schultz2146
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

pattern matching on any special character in Unix

Hi, I have field in a file which would come with any special character, how do i check that field? Eg: @123TYtaasa>>>/ 131dfetr_~2 In the above example, how do I add pattern for any special character on the keyboard. Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: techmoris
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find in Files (special characters)

Well, I've searched the forum, but couldn't find an option, that would help me. I'm really a dummie in unix, so here it goes. I've got like 50k files in a single catalogue. One of them contains a string: Including the box/square brackets. I tried to find it manually, and use some search... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kalik
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Special Merge of two files

I have two files, foo1 and foo2. I would like to merge them into file named foo3 such that field 1,2,3,4,5,ect of foo1 are fields 1,3,5,7,9,ect of foo3, and fields field 1,2,3,4,5,ect of foo2 are fields 2,4,6,8,10,ect of foo3. Foo1 and Foo2 are the same size of 800 fields and 20K lines. eg... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: peanuts48
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Windows to UNIX FTP Special characters!

I have a file that has the name in one of the lines as MARíA MENDOZA in Windows. When this gets FTPed over to UNIX it appears as MAR�A MENDOZA. Is there anyway to overcome this? Its causing a issue because the file is Postional and fields are getting pushed by 2 digits.. Any help would be... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: venky338
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

UNIX Special Characters

Any time I do : ls *.txt > mytext.txt I get something like this in the output file: ^ Tue Jan 22 16:19:19 EST 2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux t1Fam_BrOv :~>alias | grep ls alias l.='ls -d .* --color=tty' alias lR='ls -R' alias la='ls -Al' alias lc='ls -ltcr' alias ldd='ls -ltr |... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: genehunter
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Special IF construct syntax in UNIX

Hi, I don't understand && and || in this context. I thought && is for logical 'AND' and || is for logical 'OR'. && echo "Not empty" || echo "Empty" Please help Thank You (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: TomG
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How To Retreive Files With a Special Condition?

Everyday I have to get a list of files in a directory with a special condition and feed this list to a for loop to be processed. Since I do not use Unix all the time, it is tricky for me to get that list of files. So, the question is whether there are commands that will give me the file names... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: april
12 Replies
MOUNT(2)							System Calls Manual							  MOUNT(2)

NAME
mount, umount - mount or remove file system SYNOPSIS
mount(special, name, flags) char *special, *name; int flags; umount(special) char *special; DESCRIPTION
Mount announces to the system that a removable file system has been mounted on the block-structured special file special; from now on, ref- erences to file name will refer to the root file on the newly mounted file system. Special and name are pointers to null-terminated strings containing the appropriate path names. Name must exist already. Name must be a directory. Its old contents are inaccessible while the file system is mounted. The following flags may be specified to suppress default semantics which affect filesystem access. MNT_RDONLY The filesystem should be treated as read-only; Even the super-user may not write on it. MNT_NOEXEC Do not allow files to be executed from the filesystem. MNT_NOSUID Do not honor setuid or setgid bits on files when executing them. MNT_NODEV Do not interpret special files on the filesystem. MNT_SYNCHRONOUS All I/O to the filesystem should be done synchronously. Umount announces to the system that the special file is no longer to contain a removable file system. The associated file reverts to its ordinary interpretation. RETURN VALUE
Mount returns 0 if the action occurred, -1 if special is inaccessible or not an appropriate file, if name does not exist, if special is already mounted, if name is in use, or if there are already too many file systems mounted. Umount returns 0 if the action occurred; -1 if if the special file is inaccessible or does not have a mounted file system, or if there are active files in the mounted file system. ERRORS
Mount will fail when one of the following occurs: [ENAMETOOLONG] A component of either pathname exceeded 255 characters, or the entire length of either path name exceeded 1023 characters. [ELOOP] Too many symbolic links were encountered in translating either pathname. [EPERM] The caller is not the super-user. [ENOENT] A component of name does not exist. [ENODEV] A component of special does not exist. [ENOTBLK] Special is not a block device. [ENXIO] The major device number of special is out of range (this indicates no device driver exists for the associated hardware). [ENOTDIR] A component of name is not a directory, or a path prefix of special is not a directory. [EINVAL] Either pathname contains a character with the high-order bit set. [EINVAL] The super block for the file system had a bad magic number or an out of range block size. [EBUSY] Another process currently holds a reference to name, or special is already mounted. [EMFILE] No space remains in the mount table. [ENOMEM] Not enough memory was available to read the cylinder group information for the file system. [EIO] An I/O error occurred while reading the super block or cylinder group information. [EFAULT] Special or name points outside the process's allocated address space. Umount may fail with one of the following errors: [ENOTDIR] A component of the path prefix is not a directory. [EINVAL] The pathname contains a character with the high-order bit set. [ENAMETOOLONG] A component of a pathname exceeded 255 characters, or an entire path name exceeded 1023 characters. [ELOOP] Too many symbolic links were encountered in translating the pathname. [EPERM] The caller is not the super-user. [ENODEV] Special does not exist. [ENOTBLK] Special is not a block device. [ENXIO] The major device number of special is out of range (this indicates no device driver exists for the associated hardware). [EINVAL] The requested device is not in the mount table. [EBUSY] A process is holding a reference to a file located on the file system. [EIO] An I/O error occurred while writing the super block or other cached file system information. [EFAULT] Special points outside the process's allocated address space. SEE ALSO
mount(8), umount(8) BUGS
Some of the error codes need translation to more obvious messages. Physically write-protected and magnetic tape file systems must be mounted read-only or errors will occur when access times are updated, whether or not any explicit write is attempted. MNT_SYNCHRONOUS is not currently implemented in the kernel but may be specified because the kernel ignores it. 4th Berkeley Distribution January 25, 1996 MOUNT(2)