Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: help with data type sizes
Top Forums Programming help with data type sizes Post 302488054 by omega666 on Friday 14th of January 2011 05:31:58 PM
Old 01-14-2011
so when i do the print (&a-&b) which gets me a 1, that means that the values were in the heap, and when i do the print(c-d), c and d were in the stack.
but why does values in the heap have a different arithmetic then the values in the stack?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

FILE data type

Hi all, Can anyone tell me a little about the datatype FILE, which represents stream. What does its structure look like, and in which header file is it defined and so on... Ex : FILE *fp ; fp = fopen("filename", "w") ; (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: milhan
6 Replies

2. Programming

time_t data type-- what does start +1 mean?

Hi, I am trying to understand an very old C program. .... time_t start, end; ptr = localtime(&start); ... fprintf(out, "%-35s 01 %5s %2s %10d 1 5 /tty/M%d/%02d %24s", buffer3, job, ver, start, mach_num,atoi(buffer), asctime(ptr)); fprintf(out, "%-35s 03 %5s %2s %10d 1 5... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: whatisthis
9 Replies

3. Programming

data type limitation

I am writing some code to do analysis on the file system (HP-UX 11.11). I am using stat(..) to get file information. My problem is that the file-size may exceed the data types defined in 'sys/stat.h' & 'sys/types.h' respectively. Thus file-sizes in the Giga-byte range are not read correctly.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ALTRUNVRSOFLN
2 Replies

4. AIX

Value too large to be stored in data type???

Hello, I get this message : "Value too large to be stored in data type" when I try to open a 3Gb file. Can someone helps me to resolve the problem. Thank you very much (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: limame
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Directorie listing in Human form for data sizes

I have seen it done at my job before, there is a command that will make a notepad and show the directorie path, subfolders, and size of the subfolders? But i dont want it to go lower than 2 levels for example: folder_01 10 GB subfolder_02 10 GB subfolder_03 10 GB... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: JUSSAN007
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl data type checking

I am using perl 5.8.0. I need to check some values to see it they are floats. Our system does not have Data::Types so I can't use is_float. Is there something else that I can use? The only thing in Data is Dump.pm. I am not allowed to download anything to our system so I have to use what I have.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajgwin
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Memory allocation for float data type

Dear All, How internally memory allocated when we declare the float data type. how many bytes allocated for decimal and how many bytes for fraction. kindly help me in this regards. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajamohan
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can I split a 10GB file into 1 GB sizes using my repeating data pattern

I'm not a unix guy so excuses my ignorance... I'm the database ETL guy. I'm trying to be proactive and devise a plan B for a ETL process where I expect a file 10X larger than what I process daily for a recast job. The ETL may handle it but I just don't know. This file may need to be split... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: john091
3 Replies

9. Web Development

Data type to use for prices with commas

Hi everybody, I`m very new with PHP and Databases and I having the follow issue with prices data.. The original information is in CSV files. The prices have formatted with commas and dots as follow: 12,300.99 -->(thousands separated by commas) 3,500.25 -->(thousands separated... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: cgkmal
10 Replies

10. Programming

Incompatible data type fpos_t in C

This is from a program I wrote over in 1998 that I am trying to compile on a linux machine: void write_line (FILE *fp, int rec_no, line_rec *arec) { fpos_t woffset; woffset = (rec_no - 1) * sizeof(line_rec); fsetpos(fp,&woffset); fwrite(arec,sizeof(line_rec),1,fp); }On the line... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wbport
2 Replies
stringdups(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 					     stringdups(1)

NAME
stringdups -- Identify duplicate strings or other objects in malloc blocks of a target process SYNOPSIS
stringdups [-minimumCount count] [-stringsOnly] [-nostacks] [-callTrees] [-invertCallTrees] pid | partial-executable-name DESCRIPTION
stringdups examines the content of malloc blocks in the specified target process. For all blocks which have the same content, it shows a line with the number of such blocks, their total allocated size (the total size in the malloc heap, not just the specific size of their con- tent), and the average allocated size. If the MallocStackLogging environment variable was set when the target process was launched, stringdups also displays stack backtraces or call trees showing where all the blocks with a particular grouping of content were allocated. stringdups gathers the content of blocks of various types including: o C strings (composed of UTF8 characters, null terminated, of any length) o Pascal strings (composed of UTF8 characters with length byte at start, no longer than 255 characters, not necessarily null terminated) o NSString of all types (immutable, mutable, UTF8, Unicode). Malloc blocks which are the storage blocks for non-inline or mutable NSString's are listed separately. The string content is shown for both but the block sizes accurately show what is allocated in the mal- loc heap for that particular chunk of storage. o NSDate o NSNumber o NSPathStore2 (Cocoa's representation of file paths) o item counts for collection classes such as NSArray, NSSet, and NSDictionary OPTIONS
-minimumCount count Only print information for object descriptions which appear at least count times in the target process. The default minimum count is 2. To see all strings in the target process, use 1 or use 'heap <pid> -addresses all'. -stringsOnly Only print information for objects that have string content such as C or Pascal strings, or NSString. -nostacks Do not print stack backtraces or call trees even if the target process has the MallocStackLogging environment variable set. -callTrees If stack bactraces are available, then by default all the object descriptions for a particular stack backtrace are con- solidated together. However if this argument is passed then the output is consolidated by each particular string and a call tree is displayed showing the allocation backtraces of all occurrences of objects with that description. This out- put can be very lengthy if minimumCount is a low value, because the same call tree may be displayed many times. -invertCallTrees Same as except that the call trees are printed from hottest to coldest stack frame, so the leaf malloc call appears first. SEE ALSO
heap(1), leaks(1), malloc_history(1), vmmap(1), DevToolsSecurity(1) BSD
July 21, 2011 BSD