Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting stdout to file or character device with trailing slash Post 302487843 by dcarrion87 on Thursday 13th of January 2011 06:48:47 PM
Old 01-13-2011
I see...so previous versions of Solaris could implement pathname resolution in such a way that trailing slashes are ignored in this manner. I've just found out that our developers even have it specified in their strcopy functions in their C utilities. E.g. they have shell commands with a trailing slash when doing redirect, e.g.:
Code:
strcpy(tmp, "rm -f bla.tmp 2> /dev/null/");

I actually can't find any other Linux/Unix system available to me at the moment that allows this sort of behaviour except our Solaris 9 machines...

Very very frustrating and going to mean a lot of sophisticated search and replace commands and recompiling for the guys to have this working. The annoying thing is that I know the proper thing to do is push them back on this however if only there was some way of hacking around this initially.

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Please use code tags when posting data and code samples!

Last edited by Franklin52; 01-14-2011 at 05:29 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shell script: Cut / (slash) character in string

I have a string "\/scratch\/databases\". I want to have a new string "\/scratch\/databases" by cutting last '\' character using shell script. I can't do this Please help me. Thanks in advance ThuongTranVN (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ThuongTranVN
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

trailing slash - resync command

Hi All, i am aware that there is a difference between: 1. rsync -n -av /tmp . 2. rsync -n -av /tmp/ . I would like to do the first option. But if i use a variable (rsync -av $log .), the command behaves like a second option (with the trailing slash) Is there any way to use a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: c00kie88
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Substitute single backward-slash with the double backward-slash

Hi, I have a path like this c:\test\sample\programs, i need to change thiis to c:\\test\\sample\\programs. How to perform this? I tried tr command but it didn't help me. Thanks Vijayan (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mvictorvijayan
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using sed to append backward slash before forward slash

Hi all, I need to know way of inserting backward slash before forward slash. My problem is that i need to supply directory path as an argument while invoking cshell script. This argument is further used in script (i.e. sed is used to insert this path in some file). So i need to place \ in front... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sarbjit
2 Replies

5. Linux

sed couldn't flush stdout no space left on device

I am running Oracle Linux enterprise server 5.0. I just installed JDE 9.0 and after I started Webserver my root directory is 100% full. Can some one help me flush stdout. I am new to linux. Sam (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: s1a2m3
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk: Searching for length of words between slash character

Dear UNIX Community, I have a set of file paths like the one below: \\folder name \ folder1 \ folder2 \ folder3 \ folder4 \\folder name \ very long folder name \ even longer name I would like to find the length of the characters (including space) between the \'s. However, I want... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vnayak
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How the user process can access the character device loaded by my module

I am trying to load into the kernel a system-call dynamically (without restarting the kernel and compailing it) in an attempt to (once in kernel mode) write to user process's memory. (I know there is a way to do this with the ptrace interface but it is not an option.) I know the only way to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hopelessProgram
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk trailing character removal

Hi, The command - id | awk '{print $1}' - returns the following: uid=9028(luke) What do I need to further that awk so that I only have "luke", I want to set this as a variable. Thanks in advance, Lukas. P.S: I've come up with: USER1=`id | awk F'(' '{print $2}' | awk -F')' '{print... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: luke222010
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Double slash into a file

I need to add double slash into a file using "echo" command. I tried the below from the command line and it worked. echo "\\\\abcd\efgh" > file more file \\abcd\efgh but if i use the same command within a script its showing only 1 slash Pls help (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gpk_newbie
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Sed: couldn't write 1378 items to stdout: No space left on device

Hi , In file first line start with "",when trying to remove using sed i am getting the below error .Please advise sed -e 's///g' -e 's/$]//g' segment1.txt >>segment_m1 sed: couldn't write 1378 items to stdout: No space left on device Thanks, Mohan (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mohan705
1 Replies
cups-driverd(8) 						    Apple Inc.							   cups-driverd(8)

NAME
cups-driverd - cups driver daemon SYNOPSIS
cups-driverd cat ppd-name cups-driverd list request_id limit options DESCRIPTION
cups-driverd shows or lists PPD files. It is run in response to CUPS-Add-Modify-Printer or CUPS-Get-Devices requests. The first form ("cups-driverd cat ppd-name") writes the named PPD file to stdout. The output format is an uncompressed PPD file. The second form lists the available manufacturers or PPD files to stdout as indicated by the options argument. The output format is an IPP response message. The request_id argument is the request ID from the original IPP request, typically 1. The limit argument is the limit value from the original IPP request - 0 means no limit. Finally, the options argument is a space-delimited list of attributes ("name=value name=value ...") that were passed in with the request. Currently cups-driverd looks for the ppd-make and requested-attributes attributes and tailors the output accordingly. DRIVERS
Drivers can be static PPD files under the /usr/share/cups/model directory or programs under the /usr/lib/cups/driver directory. Static PPD files must conform to the Adobe PPD File Format Specification version 4.3 and may be compressed using the gzip(1) program. Driver programs must implement the command-line interface shown in the next section. DRIVER PROGRAMS Driver programs provide an interface to dynamically-generated PPD files. The following arguments are currently defined: drivername list Lists the supported PPD files to stdout. drivername cat ppdname Writes the named PPD file to stdout. LISTING FILES (drivername list) When run with the single argument "list", the program must list the available PPD files it can generate to stdout using the following for- mat: "drivername:ppdname" language "make" "make and model" "1284 device id" Drivername is the name of the driver program. Ppdname is the name used to select the given driver. Language is the locale associated with the default language of the PPD file, typically "en". Make is the Manufacturer name from the PPD file. Make and model is the NickName name from the PPD file. 1284 device id is the 1284DeviceId from the PPD file, if any. WRITING FILES (drivername cat ppdname) When the driver program is run with the "cat ppdname" arguments, it must write the named PPD file to stdout, uncompressed. If the named PPD file does not exist, the driver program must not write any output to stdout and report the error to stderr instead. DRIVER ERROR MESSAGES Error messages can be relayed back to cupsd by writing them to stderr. The following prefixes are recognized: DEBUG: [drivername] Debugging messages ERROR: [drivername] Error messages INFO: [drivername] Informational messages SEE ALSO
cupsd(8), cupsd.conf(5), cupstestppd(1), http://localhost:631/help COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2007-2009 by Apple Inc. 16 June 2008 CUPS cups-driverd(8)