Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers syntax for counting & printing record count Post 302487629 by malts18 on Thursday 13th of January 2011 04:33:56 AM
Old 01-13-2011
syntax for counting & printing record count

Hi
I have a complex script which outputs a text file for loading into a db.

I now need to enhance this script do that I can issue an ‘lp' command
to show the count of the number of records in this file.

Can anybody give me the necessary syntax ?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to count the record count in an EBCDIC file.

How do I get the record count in an EBCDIC file on a Linux Box. :confused: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: oracle8
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to get a file name & record count of csv file

HI , I am new to shell scripting , I have a requirement that I send a file for data quality ( original.csv) & i will be getting 4 files daily into a particular directory in return with cleansed data . the files may be clean.csv, unclean.csv , ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sirik
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

replaying a record count with another record count

i use unix command to take the record count for a file1 awk 'END{print NR}' filename i already have a file2 which conatin the count like ... .. rec_cnt=100 .. .. I want to replace the record in the file2 using the record i take from file1. suggest me some simple ways of doing it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: er_zeeshan05
2 Replies

4. Red Hat

Counting columns in a delimited record with NULLs

I am trying to count the number of columns in a delimited flat file. The record is tab delimited. When I use the command wc -w, I am getting unexpected results when the record contains a NULL value. I believe it is because there is a "word" missing. The below example will return 4 words... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nmalencia
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Counting no. of lines and printing it at the start of the file

Dear users, I need to count the number of lines in a simple text file and print the number on the first line of that same file. I know I can count the lines using wc -l file.txt this gives for example 100 file.txt I need the number 100 to be printed at the very top of file.txt... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jenjen_mt
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help in counting the no of repeated words with count in a file

Hi Pls help in solving my doubt.Iam having file like below file1.txt priya jenny jenny priya raj radhika priya bharti bharti Output required: I need a output like count of repeated words with name for ex: priya 3 jenny 2 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bha148
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with awk array syntax & counting script

..... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: elbee11
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

counting particular record format in a file using AWK

I am trying to count records of particular format from a file and assign it to a variable. I tried below command br_count=wc -l "inputfile.dat"| awk -F"|" '{if (NF != "14") print }' but I amnot able to get it done. Please share me some idea how to get it done. Thanks in advance (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: siteregsam
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

[AWK script]Counting the character in record and print them in condition

.......... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Antonlee
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting elements in each record

Hello, I have a file such as below: 0 0 . . 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 0 0 1 0 1I want to count the number of 0 and 1 in each line (. represents no data) and print them into two columns, that is:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Homa
3 Replies
AMDD(8) 						      System Manager's Manual							   AMDD(8)

NAME
amdd - Amanda version of dd SYNOPSIS
amdd [ -d ] [ if=input ] [ of=output ] [ bs=blocksize ] [ skip=count ] [ count=count ] DESCRIPTION
Amdd provides just enough of the standard dd command for the needs of Amanda. This is handy when doing a full restore and the standard dd program has not yet been found. Amdd also provides access to the Amanda output drivers that support various tape simulations. This may be used for debugging or to convert from one format to another. See the amanda(8) man page for more details about Amanda. See the OUTPUT DRIVERS section of amanda(8) for more information on the Amanda output drivers. OPTIONS
-d Turn on debugging output. -llength Set the output length. If the output driver limits the output size, this controls when end of tape will be simulated. Length may have a multiplier suffix: k 1024 (Kilobytes) b 512 (Blocks) M 1024*1024 (Megabytes) The default is no multipler (bytes). if=input Input to dd. Default is stdin. of=output Where to send the output of dd. Default is stdout. bs=blocksize Size of each record. Input records smaller than this will not be padded. Output records will be the same size as the corresponding input record. Default is 512 bytes. Blocksize may have a multiplier suffix: k 1024 (Kilobytes) b 512 (Blocks) M 1024*1024 (Megabytes) The default is no multipler (bytes). count=count Number of records to copy. Default is all records until end of file. skip=count Number of records to skip before copying input to output. Default is zero. AUTHOR
Marc Mengel <mengel@fnal.gov> John R. Jackson <jrj@purdue.edu> SEE ALSO
amanda(8) AMDD(8)