Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to trim a string in unix shell script Post 302486967 by Shri123 on Tuesday 11th of January 2011 02:19:39 AM
Old 01-11-2011
Thanks for the quick reply. But i face a different issue if i use
current_path="'${current_path##* }'"
if current_path="$/Main_folder/Sub folder/Release R3.0/filename"
then it sets current_path with "R3.0/filename" instead of "$/Main_folder/Sub folder/Release R3.0/filename". (I think this is becoz of the space between Release and R3.0)Can u pls explain me the meaning of "current_path##* " and tell me what has to be done to take the full path

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reversing and trim a String through SHELL script

All I want to reverse and trim a string using UNIX shell scripts.Iam using Bourne shells. Can you help me? Thanx in advance Regards Deepak (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: DeepakXavier
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

trim leading zero in certain column in a string

I would like to know how to trim leading zero only in certain column of of a string, example: hdhshdhdhd000012mmmm0002abc <===== before hdhshdhdhd 12mmmm 2abc <===== after Thanks for your help. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dngo
2 Replies

3. Programming

How to trim the white space around a string in C program

I am coding a C program to read a plain text file. There are a lot of blank fields or a string with white spaces. I want to know is there such a function called trim() in C to clean the white space around a string? Or some other way can do this efficiently? Thanks. (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: hxm1303
18 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

To trim Certain field in a line of a file and replace the new string in that position

To trim 3rd field in for all the lines of a file and replace the modified string in that particular field. For example i have a file called Temp.txt having content Temp.txt ----------------- 100,234,M1234 400,234,K1734 300,345,T3456 ---------------- So the modified file output should... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rpadhi
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in shell script to trim numeric values

Hello I am currently working on a shell script which actually needs to pull some file from a server , The filenames will have the extension with date/time stamp , i need to trim that and name it to proper format Example : xyz_20091108_22142365.gzip i need to remove the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ranga27
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

get the fifth line of a text file into a shell script and trim the line to extract a WORD

FOLKS , i have a text file that is generated automatically of an another korn shell script, i want to bring in the fifth line of the text file in to my korn shell script and look for a particular word in the line . Can you all share some thoughts on this one. thanks... Venu (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: venu
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can i use trim in shell script ?

Hi, I am stuck at comparing a value from database with a space involved. Condition if (cust_code != "RAMK" && cust_code != "LML") { xxxxxxx xxxxxxx xxxxxxx } the cust_code is from a table and generally has 4 chars...so in the case of LML it comes with default space at the end. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ramkiran77
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

TRIM a string in shell script

HI, I have a string "NZ-deploy-mode-1.15-Linux.x86_64.rpm" I want to get the string before -1 ie "NZ-deploy-mode" Input is "NZ-deploy-mode-1.15-Linux.x86_64.rpm" expected output is "NZ-deploy-mode" How can I do that in shell script? Thanks in advance. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ananthdoss
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trim String

Hi, I wish to grep everything before the last "/bin" in the following string /opt/app/bin/app1/jdk150_07/bin/IA64N/java Desired output: "/opt/app/bin/app1/jdk150_07" Kindly help ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

UNIX shell script to search a string in a file

Hi folks, I am new for shell script, I hope somebody to help me to write shell script My requirement is below steps 1. I have apache access.log i.e located in /var/log/httpd/ Ex. 127.0.0.1 - - "GET... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: Chenchireddy
14 Replies
rmf(1mh)																  rmf(1mh)

Name
       rmf - remove folder

Syntax
       rmf [ +folder ] [ -help ] [ -[no]interactive ]

Description
       The  command  removes all of the messages within the current folder, and then removes the folder itself.  If there are any files within the
       folder which are not part of MH, they are not removed, and an error message is displayed.

You can specify a folder other than the current folder by using the +folder argument.  If you do not specify a folder, and cannot find  the
       current folder, asks you whether you want to delete instead.

If the current folder is removed, it makes current.

Note that the command irreversibly deletes messages that do not have other links, so use it with caution.

If  the folder being removed is a sub-folder, the parent folder becomes the new current folder, and tells you that this has happened.  This
       provides an easy mechanism for selecting a set of messages, operating on the list, then removing the list  and  returning  to  the  current
       folder from which the list was extracted.

Using to delete a read-only folder deletes the private sequence and current message information from the file, without affecting the folder
       itself.	If you have sub-folders within a folder, you must delete all the sub-folders before you can delete the folder itself.

Options
       -help	 Prints a list of the valid options to this command.

-interactive
       -nointeractive
		 Asks for confirmation before deleting a folder.  By default, deletes a folder and its messages without asking	for  confirmation.
		 If  you  specify  the	-interactive option, asks if you are sure before deleting the folder.  You are advised to use this option,
		 since when deletes a folder its contents are lost irretrievably.

Examples
       This example shows how asks for confirmation when the -interactive option is used:
       % rmf -interactive +test
       Remove folder "test"? y

Profile Components
       Path:   To determine the user's Mail directory

Files
       The user profile.

See Also
       rmm(1mh)

rmf(1mh)