Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: extensions- simple question
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting extensions- simple question Post 302486951 by Scrutinizer on Tuesday 11th of January 2011 12:50:09 AM
Old 01-11-2011
Try:
Code:
Doc_="home/$USER/Documentos/*.odt home/$USER/Documentos/*.doc"

But it will not work with file names with spaces and you need to call the variable without quotes...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Simple question?

I've been a Linux user for quite some time, started out with Red Hat and Mandrake, and just recently moved to Slackware linux.... my question is this: Is there a big difference between Linux and Unix? If so, what? I was just looking at Sun's Solaris 8 thats free for download on Intel... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cuthbert
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Simple Question

Can anyone tell me if there is a way to remove the encryption from Data CDs by UNIX? Or does anyone know of a program that can remove the encryption? I would much appreciate it! Thanks, -Peaves (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Peaves
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Hopefully simple question

When i type cd etc/shadow it says that file or directory doesnt exist? Is there a way to show this or am i typing something wrong? :confused: (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Corrail
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Ok simple question for simple knowledge...

Ok what is BSD exactly? I know its a type of open source but what is it exactly? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Corrail
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple question.

Is it possible to establish an IF statement inside a case statement in a shell file ? thx (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: TARFU
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

simple if then fi question

i'm trying to make a script that prints the name of the script for any command line parameter, here is what i have, and get `]]' unexpected: what am i doing wrong? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tefflox
3 Replies

7. Programming

Simple C question... Hopefully it's simple

Hello. I'm a complete newbie to C programming. I have a C program that wasn't written by me where I need to write some wrappers around it to automate and make it easier for a client to use. The problem is that the program accepts standard input to control the program... I'm hoping to find a simple... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xeed
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

A Simple Question

Hi All, I am new to Unix , I have entered 'cd w' in command prompt and pressed tab key , A tab space is generated instead of listing the folders or files that starts with 'W' . What should i do to get it working:confused: Thanks, Deepak (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Deepakkumard
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

simple(?) if/else question

Hello, I have a quick question that is not related to homework in any way shape or form (in case anyone wanted to know). My question is thus: I have a file "temp" that has the two values say "5" and "3" (separated by a white space). Now, I want to simply write an if-else statement that reads... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: astropi
10 Replies

10. Red Hat

Syslog.conf: looking for a simple answer on a simple question

Cheers! In /etc/syslog.conf, if an error type is not specified, is it logged anywhere (most preferable is it logged to /var/log/messages) or not? To be more precise I am interested in error and critical level messages. At default these errors are not specified in syslog.conf, and I need to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dr1zzt3r
6 Replies
ALTER USER - change a database user account SYNOPSIS
ALTER USER username [ [ WITH ] option [ ... ] ] where option can be: [ ENCRYPTED | UNENCRYPTED ] PASSWORD 'password' | CREATEDB | NOCREATEDB | CREATEUSER | NOCREATEUSER | VALID UNTIL 'abstime' ALTER USER username SET variable { TO | = } { value | DEFAULT } ALTER USER username RESET variable DESCRIPTION
ALTER USER is used to change the attributes of a PostgreSQL user account. Attributes not mentioned in the command retain their previous settings. The first variant of this command in the synopsis changes certain global user privileges and authentication settings. (See below for details.) Only a database superuser can change privileges and password expiration with this command. Ordinary users can only change their own password. The second and the third variant change a user's session default for a specified configuration variable. Whenever the user subsequently starts a new session, the specified value becomes the session default, overriding whatever setting is present in postgresql.conf or has been received from the postmaster. Ordinary users can change their own session defaults. Superusers can change anyone's session defaults. PARAMETERS username The name of the user whose attributes are to be altered. password The new password to be used for this account. ENCRYPTED UNENCRYPTED These key words control whether the password is stored encrypted in pg_shadow. (See CREATE USER [create_user(7)] for more informa- tion about this choice.) CREATEDB NOCREATEDB These clauses define a user's ability to create databases. If CREATEDB is specified, the user being defined will be allowed to cre- ate his own databases. Using NOCREATEDB will deny a user the ability to create databases. CREATEUSER NOCREATEUSER These clauses determine whether a user will be permitted to create new users himself. This option will also make the user a supe- ruser who can override all access restrictions. abstime The date (and, optionally, the time) at which this user's password is to expire. variable value Set this user's session default for the specified configuration variable to the given value. If value is DEFAULT or, equivalently, RESET is used, the user-specific variable setting is removed and the user will inherit the system-wide default setting in new ses- sions. Use RESET ALL to clear all settings. See SET [set(7)] and the Administrator's Guide for more information about allowed variable names and values. DIAGNOSTICS
ALTER USER Message returned if the alteration was successful. ERROR: ALTER USER: user "username" does not exist Error message returned if the specified user is not known to the database. NOTES
Use CREATE USER [create_user(7)] to add new users, and DROP USER [drop_user(7)] to remove a user. ALTER USER cannot change a user's group memberships. Use ALTER GROUP [alter_group(7)] to do that. Using ALTER DATABASE [alter_database(7)], it is also possible to tie a session default to a specific database rather than a user. EXAMPLES
Change a user password: ALTER USER davide WITH PASSWORD 'hu8jmn3'; Change a user's valid until date: ALTER USER manuel VALID UNTIL 'Jan 31 2030'; Change a user's valid until date, specifying that his authorization should expire at midday on 4th May 1998 using the time zone which is one hour ahead of UTC: ALTER USER chris VALID UNTIL 'May 4 12:00:00 1998 +1'; Give a user the ability to create other users and new databases: ALTER USER miriam CREATEUSER CREATEDB; COMPATIBILITY
The ALTER USER statement is a PostgreSQL extension. The SQL standard leaves the definition of users to the implementation. SEE ALSO
CREATE USER [create_user(7)], DROP USER [drop_user(l)], SET [set(l)] SQL - Language Statements 2002-11-22 ALTER USER(7)