Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: multicast arp/route issue
Operating Systems Solaris multicast arp/route issue Post 302485332 by melias on Tuesday 4th of January 2011 11:33:40 PM
Old 01-05-2011
multicast arp/route issue

Hi forum members,

I've run into a problem that I'm hoping you can sort out.
Whenever I run an arp -a or netstat -p the command hangs. It seems that the system is trying to reverse lookup a multicast address and this is what causes the issues.

The commands are actually generated via monitoring software so I am unable to simply stop performing reverse DNS lookups via the appropriate command switches.

I am able to replicate the issue if I add the same multicast route on another server, but the route disappears on the other servers after a few seconds so does not cause any hang.

Below is the problem entry.

Code:
Device   IP Address               Mask      Flags      Phys Addr

------ -------------------- --------------- -------- ---------------

ce1    224.3.2.11           255.255.255.255          00:1d:a2:0e:57:00

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by DukeNuke2; 01-05-2011 at 07:02 AM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

How to multicast on different IP network

Hi, there On HP-UX, I want to multicast packets on two different IP network repectively. The two NIC are configured with two different IP. The routes are added with one default and one net for each IP . The multisender programs bind their own local IP, multireceiver programs add the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Frank2004
0 Replies

2. Linux

How to multicast on different IP network

On Linux, I have configured two different IP address for two network device eth0 ,eth1 , in my program, I want to multicast differently on these two network, I know it must add route for single network and I try to config another route for second network,but it can not work correctly, how to config... (0 Replies)
0 Replies

3. Solaris

multicast config

On SUN Solaris 10, if I want to multicast packets between nodes, whether it must config the multicast IP from OS, if yes, how to do it? (0 Replies)
0 Replies

4. AIX

strange route issue in powerha 5.4?

hi all we upgraded hacmp(powerha) from 5.2 to 5.4 recently . during the failover testing, we found a strange network issue. after standby node took service ip address (172.15.100.8) online at standby NIC, we were able to log in the standby node by telnet 172.15.100.8 which stays at... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rs6000er
1 Replies

5. Programming

Ubuntu 10.04 + Multicast Receiver c++

Hello all, I have created a UDP multicast transmitter and receiver, first using windows. But now I need the receiver to run on Ubuntu 10.04. The code is the following: /************************** Receiver *************************/ // Module Name: Receiver.c // // Description: // ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: tiny05
0 Replies

6. Solaris

Route Addition Issue

Hi, I wanted to add route on the solaris 10 box as shown below. route add -net 172.16.10.0 172.16.10.11 where 172.16.10.11 is the ip address of the solaris machine. If I execute the above command I am getting the below error gateway:172.16.10.11 Network is unreachable. I am not... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ravi_rn
1 Replies

7. Red Hat

[RedHat] ARP issue

Hello, I am setting up a new RedHat server with two network interfaces. These interfaces are on different subnets, and connected to the same firewall. I'm trying to reach a remote IP. It works fine from the first interface. The second interface however, is making ARP requests instead of... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Wanou85
0 Replies

8. IP Networking

Multicast IP address

Hi please help, theoretically I',m interested in starting a streaming service using multicast IP service. I'd like to know how do I get an IP address that I can send my data too? (please don't just point me too Internet Assigned Numbers Authority as ive been there and it just seem to state... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fishman2001
1 Replies

9. Solaris

Default route issue in share local zone in Solaris 11

Hi We took the reboot of server/global zone after that Solaris 11 share local zone not able to ping the default gateway but global zone able to ping same default gateway. I check/compare the before activity logs of global zone and local zones which looks fine to me, further IP and netmask of... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sb200
6 Replies
ROUTE(8)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							  ROUTE(8)

NAME
route - show / manipulate the IP routing table SYNOPSIS
route [-CFvnee] route [-v] [-A family] add [-net|-host] target [netmask Nm] [gw Gw] [metric N] [mss M] [window W] [irtt I] [reject] [mod] [dyn] [rein- state] [[dev] If] route [-v] [-A family] del [-net|-host] target [gw Gw] [netmask Nm] [metric N] [[dev] If] route [-V] [--version] [-h] [--help] DESCRIPTION
Route manipulates the kernel's IP routing tables. Its primary use is to set up static routes to specific hosts or networks via an inter- face after it has been configured with the ifconfig(8) program. When the add or del options are used, route modifies the routing tables. Without these options, route displays the current contents of the routing tables. OPTIONS
-A family use the specified address family (eg `inet'; use `route --help' for a full list). -F operate on the kernel's FIB (Forwarding Information Base) routing table. This is the default. -C operate on the kernel's routing cache. -v select verbose operation. -n show numerical addresses instead of trying to determine symbolic host names. This is useful if you are trying to determine why the route to your nameserver has vanished. -e use netstat(8)-format for displaying the routing table. -ee will generate a very long line with all parameters from the routing ta- ble. del delete a route. add add a new route. target the destination network or host. You can provide IP addresses in dotted decimal or host/network names. -net the target is a network. -host the target is a host. netmask NM when adding a network route, the netmask to be used. gw GW route packets via a gateway. NOTE: The specified gateway must be reachable first. This usually means that you have to set up a static route to the gateway beforehand. If you specify the address of one of your local interfaces, it will be used to decide about the interface to which the packets should be routed to. This is a BSDism compatibility hack. metric M set the metric field in the routing table (used by routing daemons) to M. mss M set the TCP Maximum Segment Size (MSS) for connections over this route to M bytes. The default is the device MTU minus headers, or a lower MTU when path mtu discovery occured. This setting can be used to force smaller TCP packets on the other end when path mtu discovery does not work (usually because of misconfigured firewalls that block ICMP Fragmentation Needed) window W set the TCP window size for connections over this route to W bytes. This is typically only used on AX.25 networks and with drivers unable to handle back to back frames. irtt I set the initial round trip time (irtt) for TCP connections over this route to I milliseconds (1-12000). This is typically only used on AX.25 networks. If omitted the RFC 1122 default of 300ms is used. reject install a blocking route, which will force a route lookup to fail. This is for example used to mask out networks before using the default route. This is NOT for firewalling. mod, dyn, reinstate install a dynamic or modified route. These flags are for diagnostic purposes, and are generally only set by routing daemons. dev If force the route to be associated with the specified device, as the kernel will otherwise try to determine the device on its own (by checking already existing routes and device specifications, and where the route is added to). In most normal networks you won't need this. If dev If is the last option on the command line, the word dev may be omitted, as it's the default. Otherwise the order of the route modifiers (metric - netmask - gw - dev) doesn't matter. EXAMPLES
route add -net 127.0.0.0 adds the normal loopback entry, using netmask 255.0.0.0 (class A net, determined from the destination address) and associated with the "lo" device (assuming this device was prviously set up correctly with ifconfig(8)). route add -net 192.56.76.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 dev eth0 adds a route to the network 192.56.76.x via "eth0". The Class C netmask modifier is not really necessary here because 192.* is a Class C IP address. The word "dev" can be omitted here. route add default gw mango-gw adds a default route (which will be used if no other route matches). All packets using this route will be gatewayed through "mango- gw". The device which will actually be used for that route depends on how we can reach "mango-gw" - the static route to "mango-gw" will have to be set up before. route add ipx4 sl0 Adds the route to the "ipx4" host via the SLIP interface (assuming that "ipx4" is the SLIP host). route add -net 192.57.66.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 gw ipx4 This command adds the net "192.57.66.x" to be gatewayed through the former route to the SLIP interface. route add -net 224.0.0.0 netmask 240.0.0.0 dev eth0 This is an obscure one documented so people know how to do it. This sets all of the class D (multicast) IP routes to go via "eth0". This is the correct normal configuration line with a multicasting kernel. route add -net 10.0.0.0 netmask 255.0.0.0 reject This installs a rejecting route for the private network "10.x.x.x." OUTPUT
The output of the kernel routing table is organized in the following columns Destination The destination network or destination host. Gateway The gateway address or '*' if none set. Genmask The netmask for the destination net; '255.255.255.255' for a host destination and '0.0.0.0' for the default route. Flags Possible flags include U (route is up) H (target is a host) G (use gateway) R (reinstate route for dynamic routing) D (dynamically installed by daemon or redirect) M (modified from routing daemon or redirect) A (installed by addrconf) C (cache entry) ! (reject route) Metric The 'distance' to the target (usually counted in hops). It is not used by recent kernels, but may be needed by routing daemons. Ref Number of references to this route. (Not used in the Linux kernel.) Use Count of lookups for the route. Depending on the use of -F and -C this will be either route cache misses (-F) or hits (-C). Iface Interface to which packets for this route will be sent. MSS Default maximum segement size for TCP connections over this route. Window Default window size for TCP connections over this route. irtt Initial RTT (Round Trip Time). The kernel uses this to guess about the best TCP protocol parameters without waiting on (possibly slow) answers. HH (cached only) The number of ARP entries and cached routes that refer to the hardware header cache for the cached route. This will be -1 if a hard- ware address is not needed for the interface of the cached route (e.g. lo). Arp (cached only) Whether or not the hardware address for the cached route is up to date. FILES
/proc/net/ipv6_route /proc/net/route /proc/net/rt_cache SEE ALSO
ifconfig(8), netstat(8), arp(8), rarp(8) HISTORY
Route for Linux was originally written by Fred N. van Kempen, <waltje@uwalt.nl.mugnet.org> and then modified by Johannes Stille and Linus Torvalds for pl15. Alan Cox added the mss and window options for Linux 1.1.22. irtt support and merged with netstat from Bernd Eckenfels. AUTHOR
Currently maintained by Phil Blundell <Philip.Blundell@pobox.com>. net-tools 2 January 2000 ROUTE(8)