Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Multi-Line Search and Replace Post 302484556 by m.d.ludwig on Saturday 1st of January 2011 10:32:02 AM
Old 01-01-2011
From perlvar, undefining the input record separator causes <> to read an entire file at a time. And from perlvar, $& is the string matched by the regex <a\s+href.*?/refrnc/.*?>.*?</a>.

I also wonder about all the working being done -- can you provide references that you based this on? But since you just want to remove the offending "<a>" and "</a>":
Code:
#! /bin/perl -p -i

BEGIN{undef $/;}

s{<a\s+href.*?/refrnc/.*?>(.*?)</a>}{$1}sig;

This User Gave Thanks to m.d.ludwig For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search and replace multi-line text in files

Hello I need to search for a mult-line text in a file exfile1 and replace that text with another text. The text to search for is in exfile2 and the replacement text is in exfile3. I work with kornshell under AIX and need to do this with a lot of files. (the file type is postscript and they need... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: marz
10 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl: Search for string on line then search and replace text

Hi All, I have a file that I need to be able to find a pattern match on a line, search that line for a text pattern, and replace that text. An example of 4 lines in my file is: 1. MatchText_randomNumberOfText moreData ReplaceMe moreData 2. MatchText_randomNumberOfText moreData moreData... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Crypto
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

multi line multirecord find and replace

Hello I am looking to have a script that performs some tasks for find and replace and inserts a line as well. I have done some programming 10 years ago, so it is causing me a little grief. File consists of 2500 records. I will show you a sample consisting of two records below and what needs... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cdc01
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl search and replace - search in first line and replance in 2nd line

Dear All, i want to search particular string and want to replance next line value. following is the test file. search string is tmp,??? ,10:1 "???" may contain any 3 character it should remain the same and next line replace with ,10:50 tmp,123 --- if match tmp,??? then... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arvindng
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Global search and replace multi line file

Hello I need to search for a mult-line strngs(with spaces in between and qoted) in a file1 and replace that text with Fixed string globally in file1. The strng to search for is in file2. The file is big with some 20K records. so speed and effciency is required file1: (where srch & rplc... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hiano
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for a multi-line strings in a file

Hello I need to search for a mult-line strngs(with spaces in between and qoted) in a file1 and replace that text with Fixed string globally in file1. The strng to search for is in file2. The file is big with some 20K records. so speed and effciency is required file1: (where srch & rplc will... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hiano
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED - insert space at the beginning of line and multi replace command

hi I am trying to use SED to replace the line matching a pattern using the command sed 'pattern c\ new line ' <file1 >file 2 I got two questions 1. how do I insert a blank space at the beginning of new line? 2. how do I use this command to execute multiple command using the -e... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: piynik
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed to replace a line with multi lines from a var

I am trying to find a line in a file ("Replace_Flag") and replace it with a variable which hold a multi lined file. myVar=`cat myfile` sed -e 's/Replace_Flag/'$myVar'/' /pathto/test.file myfile: cat dog boy girl mouse house test.file: football hockey Replace_Flag baseball ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bblondin
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace a multi-line strings or numbers

Hi I have no experience in Unix so any help would be appreciated I have the flowing text 235543 123 45654 199 225 578 45654 199 225 I need to find this sequence from A file 45654 199 225 (22 Replies)
Discussion started by: khaled79
22 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multi line regex for search and replace

I have text file like below: a.txt Server=abc Run=1 Time=120.123 Tables=10 Sessions=16 Time=380.123 Version=1.1 Jobs=5 Server=abc Run=2 Time=160.123 Tables=15 Sessions=16 Time=400.258 Version=2.0 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sol_nov
1 Replies
MAN.CONF(5)							File Formats Manual						       MAN.CONF(5)

NAME
man.conf - configuration data for man DESCRIPTION
This file is read by man(1) and contains (a) information on how to construct the search path for man, (b) full path names for various pro- grams like nroff, eqn, tbl etc. used by man, and (c) a list with uncompressors for files with a given extension. An alternative version of this file can be specified with man -C private_man.conf ... The command names may be provided with options. Useful options to nroff can be found in grotty(1). For example, instead of the default line NROFF /usr/bin/groff -mandoc -Tlatin1 one may write NROFF /usr/bin/groff -mandoc -Tlatin1 -P-u -P-b in order to suppress underlining and overstriking. FILES
/private/etc/man.conf AUTHOR
John W. Eaton was the original author of man. Zeyd M. Ben-Halim released man 1.2, and Andries Brouwer followed up with versions 1.3 thru 1.5p. Federico Lucifredi <flucifredi@acm.org> is the current maintainer. SEE ALSO
col(1), (g)eqn(1), (g)pic(1), groff(1), grotty(1), (g)refer(1), (g)tbl(1), less(1), man (1) and compress(1), gzip(1). September 19, 2005 MAN.CONF(5)