Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Automatic Email of Log Files in OSX Post 302483116 by rdcwayx on Thursday 23rd of December 2010 09:34:00 PM
Old 12-23-2010
Code:
archiveName=`date +%Y-%m-%d_%H-%M-%S`

tar cvf - $logPath |gzip > $logPath.$archiveName.tar.gz

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

automatic transfering of files using scp

I'm in the process of writing a shell script with copies files from one linux box to another using scp. I wish to run this through a cronjob so it cannot be interactive. This is what I have so far. #!/bin/sh PASSWD='passswd' dateset=$( date | awk '{print $2 $3 $6}') for dates in $dateset;... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tcruicksh
1 Replies

2. Solaris

Automatic Log files to my E-mail.

Hi, I have 6 servers, I want to make a script to read the messages (/var/adm/messages) file daily in the morning and send it automatically to my E-mail address. Regards (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: adel8483
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script for automatic deletion of old files

Hi, I have a folder with limited space. I do not have provisions to increase the space for this folder. So i have to delete files which are more than 1 month old automatically. But, i need to maintain the files created by 4 users and delete all the other files automatically which is more than 1... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek_scv
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

where are my email log files

I am trying to find the email log file that would have info on users downloading their pop mail. Our email is hosted on a unix server running apache. I am not sure the exact version of mail software running, but when I telnet to the mail server the response I get is this "+OK POP3 v2003.83rh... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mstarcom
3 Replies

5. OS X (Apple)

Automatic device recognition in OSX

Can anyone point me to a resource (or answer my question) that will show me how to automatically run a script in OSX when a device is plugged in. The OS recognizes that the device is plugged in but how do I direct it to do something I want it to do. it seems that linux has udev but what would... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: djkuzenko
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Email script when automatic backup is finsihed

Hello all, i'm still new to this site and thought i might find some help here :). lately i performed a script to make an automatic backup of some files in certain directories. the script looks something like this: #! /bin/bash ##############VARIABLES path=/export/home/cassi/Backup... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Wizard_1979
5 Replies

7. OS X (Apple)

OSX: Syncing VERY large video files across web

My impressions from recent web explorations has me questioning the appropriateness of rsync ( or rsyncx ) for syncing large video/movie files to remote locations. Background: A friend who edits and creates movies would like to sync his video files from his place of business to his home. These... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bubnoff
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script for sending automatic email to personal mail id

hi guys, I need a shell script to send mail automatically to my personal mail id like xxxx@hotmail.com but while experimenting with "mail" command I faced following problems. cat text1.txt | mail -s 'test mail' xxxx@hotmail.com command successfully executed but while checking for... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rrd1986
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help: Add email users in OSX terminal

Please forgive me if this is the wrong place to post. I am a VERY basic user here and have been tasked with adding a user to our email system -- we use a squirrelmail interface and I have root passwords etc. I tried logging in through a browser but get this error: ERROR: Connection dropped... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dperro01
1 Replies

10. OS X (Apple)

Help: Add email users in OSX terminal

Please forgive me if this is the wrong place to post. I am a VERY basic user here and have been tasked with adding a user to our email system -- we use a squirrelmail interface and I have root passwords etc. I tried logging in through a browser but get this error: ERROR: Connection... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dperro01
1 Replies
UNSHAR(1)						      General Commands Manual							 UNSHAR(1)

NAME
unshar - unpack a shar file SYNOPSIS
unshar [ options ] [ file ... ] DESCRIPTION
Unshar scans mail messages looking for the start of a shell archive. It then passes the archive through a copy of the shell to unpack it. It will accept multiple files. If no files are given, standard input is used. OPTIONS
Options have a one letter version starting with - or a long version starting with --. The exception is --help and --version, which does not have a short version. --version Print the version number of the program on standard output, then immediately exits. --help Print a help summary on standard output, then immediately exits. -d DIRECTORY --directory=DIRECTORY Change directory to DIRECTORY before unpacking any files. -c --overwrite Passed as an option to the shar file. Many shell archive scripts (including those produced by `shar' 3.40 and newer) accepts a -c argument to indicate that existing files should be overwritten. -e --exit-0 This option exists mainly for people who collect many shell archives into a single mail folder. With this option, `unshar' isolates each different shell archive from the others which have been put in the same file, unpacking each in turn, from the beginning of the file towards its end. Its proper operation relies on the fact that many shar files are terminated by a `exit 0' at the beginning of a line. Option -e is internally equivalent to -E "exit 0". -E STRING --split-at=STRING This option works like -e, but it allows you to specify the string that separates archives if `exit 0' isn't appropriate. For example, noticing that most `.signatures' have a `--' on a line right before them, one can sometimes use `--split-at=--' for splitting shell archives which lack the `exit 0' line at end. The signature will then be skipped altogether with the headers of the following message. -f --force The same as -c. SEE ALSO
shar(1) DIAGNOSTICS
Any message from the shell may be displayed. AUTHORS
The shar and unshar programs is the collective work of many authors. Many people contributed by reporting problems, suggesting various improvements or submitting actual code. A list of these people is in the THANKS file in the sharutils distribution. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <bug-gnu-utils@gnu.org>. Please put sharutils in the subject line. It helps to spot the message. September 10, 1995 UNSHAR(1)