Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Alias problem with awk command Post 302481381 by enux on Friday 17th of December 2010 11:00:44 AM
Old 12-17-2010
Alias problem with awk command

Hi to all,
I'm facing some problems when adding an alias like:
Code:
#alias list="ls -al | awk '{ print $1, $2, $3, $4, (($5/1048576))"\t", $6, $7, $8, $9 }'"

and when I enter:
Code:
#list

I get:

Code:
Syntax Error The source line is 1.
 The error context is
                { print >>>  , <<< 
 awk: 0602-502 The statement cannot be correctly parsed. The source line is 1.

I'm running ksh Version M-11/16/88f on AIX version 5.3
Can you tell where the problem can be?
Thanks
Enid

Last edited by Scott; 12-17-2010 at 12:07 PM.. Reason: Please use code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

alias problem

How can I get two commands in one alias? In my exaple it only display the current date. alias two='cal | date' (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mattiax
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Define an alias with an embeded awk command ??

Hi all, I'm trying to define an alias with an embeded awk command: alias kpipe='kill `psme| grep "ifw -r" | grep -v "grep ifw -r"| awk '{print $2}'`' The problem is that the awk command (awk '{print $2}') contains two ' ..' quotes. So bash assumes that the first awk quote corresponds to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jfortes
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Alias problem

i'm trying to get the alias alias "sudo su"=`sh script.sh` whats wrong with this and how can i make an alias that has a space in it (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cleansing_flame
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to create alias with awk command

Good morning I would like kindly to ask you to help me with creation of alias with awk command. alias a="awk {print $1 "| " $2 "| " $3 "| " $4 "| " $5 "| " $6 "| " $7 "| " $8 "| " $13 "| " }" there is some error but I don't find it please explain me what is error and how can be avoid... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: papa1980
5 Replies

5. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

AWK command problem

How can I write an AWK so it could print some fixed strings and concatenate that with other words from an input file. Also having a string like "go" in the next line in the output file as below: Example: A fixed string like: "Hello my" and the input file is: friend mother father... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sybase08
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to alias an awk command with single and double quotes?

Hi, I am trying to write the following command as an alias in my .bashrc file. bjobs -u all | awk '{if (NR > 1) {username++;}}END{{print"\nJOBS BY USER:\n"} for (i in username) {print username,i;}{print"\n Total Jobs=",NR-1,"\n" }}' The command simply puts how many jobs each user is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacekmaciek
2 Replies

7. OS X (Apple)

Problem using a top command alias in my profile

Hi- I am newish to the mac osx unix interface. I want to set up top so that it always displays the username. I can use this command to do this: top -ocpu -P ' PID COMMAND %CPU TIME #TH #PRTS #MREGS RPRVT RSHRD RSIZE VSIZE USER' -p '$aaaa ^bbbbbbbbb $cccc $wwwwwww $ee... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mikey11415
1 Replies

8. Linux

mail alias problem

Hi all, well i am configuring backuppc for awhile, anyway my current problem is, i set a smarthost, configured the mail to use our ISP smtp server, and its working successfully thanks to ALLAH, now i want to set an alias for mails( it was working when it was using the local smtp server), so the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: XP_2600
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

getting problem in awk command

Hi, I have one file with tab delimited values in it. i want to increase the value of 6th field by 2 if value of 3rd field is greater than 2 . The command is working fine but space between the field is getting removed after adding. below is the file and the command Filename: test1.txt ... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravi_agarwalla
13 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Alias problem

Please forgive me if this is too stupid a question as I am fairly new to scripting. I have an alias in my .profile (ksh) like this: alias ff='find . -name $1' The idea is to find all files in current dir and all subdir with the name specified in the param passed. So, I issue the command:... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sssccc
8 Replies
ali(1mh)																  ali(1mh)

Name
       ali - list mail aliases

Syntax
       ali [ -alias aliasfile ] [ -help ] [ -[no]list ] [ -[no]normalize ] [ -user useraddr ] [ -nouser ] [ aliases ...  ]

Description
       The  command  searches the specified mail alias files for each of the given aliases.  It creates a list of addresses for those aliases, and
       displays that list on the screen.

Options
       -alias aliasfile
		 Specifies the alias file to be consulted by You can specify more than one alias file, but each  aliasfile  must  be  preceded	by
		 -alias.  In addition to any alias files that you specify, consults the system alias file

You  can  set up an entry in your so that automatically consults an alias file.  To do this, add the Aliasfile entry to your pro-
		 file.	See for more information.

-help	 Prints a list of the valid options to this command.

-list
       -nolist	 Prints the addresses on separate lines.  If you do not specify the -list option,  the	addresses  are	separated  by  commas  and
		 printed on as few lines as possible.

-normalize
       -nonormalize
		 Instructs  to try to track down the official hostname of the address.	This can be suppressed by using -nonormalize.  The default
		 is -nonormalize.

-user useraddr
       -nouser	 Displays all the aliases that contain a specific name.  Instead of listing the addresses that each given alias expands to,  lists
		 the  aliases that expand to include each given address.  You must specify the complete user name that you have used in your alias
		 file.

The defaults for this command are:

-alias /usr/lib/mh/MailAliases
	      -nolist
	      -nonormalize
	      -nouser

Examples
       The following example shows how the -user option can be used to list all the aliases containing the address Parker@Venus:
       % ali -user Parker@Venus
       Parker@Venus: Group, Reviewers, Badminton

Profile Components
       Path:	    Location of your Mail directory.
       Aliasfile:   Location of your personal alias file.

Files
       The user profile.

The system alias file.

The system password file.

The system group file.

See Also
       mh-alias(5mh)

ali(1mh)