Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX How to use dd command to erase the data in disk Post 302475152 by Corona688 on Friday 26th of November 2010 05:47:37 PM
Old 11-26-2010
Shredding perfectly good disks is a waste of hardware and probably a warranty violation. Smilie I vaguely remember a warranty disagreement between Dell and the US military... They could hardly return the machines intact after they'd used them. They came to a rather Pyrrhic compromise: Dell got the drives back, but didn't get their platters!

It of course depends on your security standards but a simple dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/disk will wreck the data badly enough that you'd need to hire cleanroom spacesuit people and their special machine to have any hope of retrieving it. With 7 overwrites, not even that.

The shred utility I mentioned earlier does that kind of destructive overwrite at the file level, on filesystems that support it, letting you securely delete a file without needing to reformat. Of course that's no guarantee there's nothing unwanted in unlinked sectors somewhere.

Last edited by Corona688; 11-27-2010 at 02:09 AM.. Reason: /dev/zero, not /dev/null

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Is there an unrecoverable erase command?

I am "retiring" an old unix box and need to erase all sensitive data so that it can not be recovered. Does anyone know a unix command for this? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: snyderpa
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

stty erase e command

I'm not familiar with the stty command. What would "stty erase e" do to my system and what kind of problems would it create? Also, how would I undo this command? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: CEngel0327
1 Replies

3. SCO

Reading Data from Disk

I have a server with SCO Open Server 5 and I need to copy data files from the hard drive. Can this be completed with a Windows PC with the hard drive connected with a USB caddy? I have no other way to do this. Server not running. TIA Tim (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: taordw
2 Replies

4. AIX

Erase hard disk data

How to erase/format hard disk data in RS6000 AIX PowerPC model 43 :confused: ? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kenloong
8 Replies

5. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

"mt erase" command does not work

Hi I have some data in my tape which I want to erase with the command mt erase The process runs for a long time without cleaning data. What can be the problem?? krishan (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishan
2 Replies

6. AIX

Erase hard disk

Hi ... How to erase bootable hard disk in Pseries... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumathi.k
3 Replies

7. AIX

Erase AIX rootvg system disk

Hello all, I need help for erasing IBM P5 machine running AIX 5.3. I have 2 system disks (Hardware mirror) and i'm looking for a way like a LIVE CD bootable CD so I can boot with the cd and then format the system disks with a "secure erase" software. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kobi gabai
7 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to erase tape data in unix V4.0 D?

hi! my computer is... System: Digital Personal Workstation 433a Processor: Digital Alpha 21164, 433 MHz Memory: 64 MB OS: Digital Unix Console (SRM), Digital Unix V4.0D how to erase tape data? I tried with mt erase but no success. My tape is 120m. So, how can i erase tape? ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: akz
5 Replies

9. OS X (Apple)

Can I erase and start my mac with unix command

I made a tragic error and erased the extensions manager from my IMac. Now, I can't get the computer to boot up. It just stays on the gray screen. I've tried using the open apple+s method, which brings up the command console (not sure if I've got the lingo down right), and I've tried everything, but... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: ccff22290
12 Replies
MFI(4)							   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 						    MFI(4)

NAME
mfi -- LSI MegaRAID SAS driver SYNOPSIS
To compile this driver into the kernel, place the following lines in your kernel configuration file: device pci device mfi Alternatively, to load the driver as a module at boot time, place the following line in loader.conf(5): mfi_load="YES" DESCRIPTION
This driver is for LSI's next generation PCI Express SAS RAID controllers. Access to RAID arrays (logical disks) from this driver is pro- vided via /dev/mfid? device nodes. A simple management interface is also provided on a per-controller basis via the /dev/mfi? device node. The mfi name is derived from the phrase "MegaRAID Firmware Interface", which is substantially different than the old "MegaRAID" interface and thus requires a new driver. Older SCSI and SATA MegaRAID cards are supported by amr(4) and will not work with this driver. Two sysctls are provided to tune the mfi driver's behavior when a request is made to remove a mounted volume. By default the driver will disallow any requests to remove a mounted volume. If the sysctl dev.mfi.%d.delete_busy_volumes is set to 1, then the driver will allow mounted volumes to be removed. HARDWARE
The mfi driver supports the following hardware: o LSI MegaRAID SAS 1078 o LSI MegaRAID SAS 8408E o LSI MegaRAID SAS 8480E o LSI MegaRAID SAS 9260 o Dell PERC5 o Dell PERC6 o IBM ServeRAID M5015 SAS/SATA o IBM ServeRAID-MR10i o Intel RAID Controller SROMBSAS18E FILES
/dev/mfid? array/logical disk interface /dev/mfi? management interface DIAGNOSTICS
mfid%d: Unable to delete busy device An attempt was made to remove a mounted volume. SEE ALSO
amr(4), pci(4), mfiutil(8) HISTORY
The mfi driver first appeared in FreeBSD 6.1. AUTHORS
The mfi driver and this manual page were written by Scott Long <scottl@FreeBSD.org>. BUGS
The driver does not support big-endian architectures at this time. BSD
May 12, 2010 BSD