Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Extract data from an AS/400 tape Post 302475080 by mindmachine on Friday 26th of November 2010 10:32:51 AM
Old 11-26-2010
Hi Robin,
Quote:
Do you know if it is written in savefile format, savsys/nonsys format or even as a database export type tape? There are also 3rd party software products that could have been used. Smilie
exactly this is one of my problems. It looks, as if this tape has neither any compression nor has the format changed.
Is there any fixed definition for EOF I could use or is there any information like a header speaking in terms of those AS400 files, because I could use the forensic tools to separate those files and identify the ones I need? I was able to spot some understandable plain text passages (strangely enough one of the readable words was "meauw" or something like this and as there were other animal noises also imprinted, it looks like at least the charset translation to ascii succeded)

Meauw, meauw! Smilie
Christian

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Backup Data to tape

Hi everyone!!! I have a question on incremental backup`s and full backup`s? We currently use the Round-Robin schema to do full backup`s on a daily basis but want to change that as our data is increasing. I would like to imply the Grandfather-father-Son policy taking a full backup on the 1st of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: donovan
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to extract data from tape.

i have try tar -xvf command but it returns following error. tar: 0511-164 There is a media read or write block size error i have also try to copy data from tape to disk uisng tcopy command , it was succesful but still i am unable to extract data from that file on my disk. one thing to add... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: djahmed
1 Replies

3. Solaris

apache ErrorDocument 400 /cgi-bin/400.cgi

Hi All, Sorry if the question is trivial for you but, I am new to Apache (2.0.63) and am trying to figure out how to display my 400.cgi. Here is what I have in httpd.conf servername testing DocumentRoot "/usr/local/apache2/htdocs" ErrorDocument 400 /cgi-bin/badrequest-400.cgi Here is... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: afadaghi
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help with DDS data tape

Hi all I have BIG headache with an old unix server I have and I need some help and ideas how to solve them effectively. Thanks in advance ***Story*** I have an OLD SCO OpenServer 5 release 5 server with DDS4 tape device. I also have a box full of DDS4 tapes with data inside. I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: khaos83_2000
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to extract multiple files from tape

Hello everyone, I am having difficulties restoring data from a tape and I was hoping someone could help me. Here it goes. Whenever I type tar -xvf /dev/nst0, only the first file on the tape is restored which means that in the particular tape there are multiple tar files. Can someone please... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: goude
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

extract data from a data matrix with filter criteria

Here is what old matrix look like, IDs X1 X2 Y1 Y2 10914061 -0.364613333 -0.362922333 0.001691 -0.450094667 10855062 0.845956333 0.860396667 0.014440333 1.483899333... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ssshen
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract data based on match against one column data from a long list data

My input file: data_5 Ali 422 2.00E-45 102/253 140/253 24 data_3 Abu 202 60.00E-45 12/23 140/23 28 data_1 Ahmad 256 7.00E-45 120/235 140/235 22 data_4 Aman 365 8.00E-45 15/65 140/65 20 data_10 Jones 869 9.00E-45 65/253 140/253 18... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: patrick87
12 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract specific data content from a long list of data

My input: Data name: ABC001 Data length: 1000 Detail info Data Direction Start_time End_time Length 1 forward 10 100 90 1 forward 15 200 185 2 reverse 50 500 450 Data name: XFG110 Data length: 100 Detail info Data Direction Start_time End_time Length 1 forward 50 100 50 ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: patrick87
11 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

extract cpio backup on tape

Hi, I was wondering, If I take a backup using cpio to tape from UNIX, can I extract data on windows box using cpio for windows? Anybody ever do this? Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yonez
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How AS 400 sorting data?

Hi Gurus, I have a requests to sort data based on AS 400 sorting order. below is example: the data is sorted by ascending order. could anybody explain how AS 400 sort data? IMM00007 07918607 1242 423 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: green_k
3 Replies
RESTOR(8)						      System Manager's Manual							 RESTOR(8)

NAME
restor - incremental file system restore SYNOPSIS
restor key [ argument ... ] DESCRIPTION
Restor is used to read magtapes dumped with the dump command. The key specifies what is to be done. Key is one of the characters rRxt optionally combined with f. f Use the first argument as the name of the tape instead of the default. r or R The tape is read and loaded into the file system specified in argument. This should not be done lightly (see below). If the key is R restor asks which tape of a multi volume set to start on. This allows restor to be interrupted and then restarted (an icheck -s must be done before restarting ). x Each file on the tape named by an argument is extracted. The file name has all `mount' prefixes removed; for example, /usr/bin/lpr is named /bin/lpr on the tape. The file extracted is placed in a file with a numeric name supplied by restor (actually the inode number). In order to keep the amount of tape read to a minimum, the following procedure is recommended: Mount volume 1 of the set of dump tapes. Type the restor command. Restor will announce whether or not it found the files, give the number it will name the file, and rewind the tape. It then asks you to `mount the desired tape volume'. Type the number of the volume you choose. On a multivolume dump the recom- mended procedure is to mount the last through the first volume in that order. Restor checks to see if any of the files requested are on the mounted tape (or a later tape, thus the reverse order) and doesn't read through the tape if no files are. If you are working with a single volume dump or the number of files being restored is large, respond to the query with `1' and restor will read the tapes in sequential order. If you have a hierarchy to restore you can use dumpdir(8) to produce the list of names and a shell script to move the resulting files to their homes. t Print the date the tape was written and the date the file system was dumped from. The r option should only be used to restore a complete dump tape onto a clear file system or to restore an incremental dump tape onto this. Thus mkfs /dev/hp0a 4807 restor r /dev/hp0a is a typical sequence to restore a complete dump. Another restor can be done to get an incremental dump in on top of this. A dump followed by a mkfs and a restor is used to change the size of a file system. FILES
/dev/rmt1 default file name rst* temporary files SEE ALSO
dump(8), dumpdir(8), mkfs(8) DIAGNOSTICS
There are various diagnostics involved with reading the tape and writing the disk. There are also diagnostics if the i-list or the free list of the file system is not large enough to hold the dump. If the dump extends over more than one tape, it may ask you to change tapes. Reply with a newline when the next tape has been mounted. Dump tapes made before the new ondisc directory structure will be converted automatically by restor . BUGS
There is redundant information on the tape that could be used in case of tape reading problems. Unfortunately, restor does't use it. 3rd Berkeley Distribution RESTOR(8)