Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Curious about the -9
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Curious about the -9 Post 302472343 by Corona688 on Wednesday 17th of November 2010 12:19:33 AM
Old 11-17-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by pflickner
I was talking to a coworker and we got into a discussion about the -9. No one knew where the -9 came from and it's not in the man.
It's a coincidence. The numbers have no particular voodoo meaning, different signals were assigned numbers purely arbitrarily as they were invented. Not all the same numbers everywhere either; -9 is a very old signal (and probably defined as KILL in some standard or other now) but many others aren't so strictly defined, and may vary between different UNIX implementations. Some don't have USR1 for instance.

On my system at least you can see a fairly comprehensive list of signals in 'man kill'.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Just curious, does Unix stand for anything?

If not, where did the name come from? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pudad
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Curious

Dear All I am curious to know, that in a system compromise, when someone has access to a box, does that individual have access to a shell on the system, i.e. the person is logging into the system using telnet or SSH to remotely access the box?? How does this individual/ hacker access the system. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: skotapal
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Curious Dummy

I have a website but I do not for the life of me know how to upload using unix based command lines. Can someone send me a good site that has these commands. That and I am curious to know more about command line based interfacing. :D Curious Dummy (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: highway39
1 Replies

4. Linux

Curious?

To correct most of the problems with this language, How do I remove the DOS and WORD stuff from it? These come from the fact that it was written on those with a Microsoft supplied platform at the writers request. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: River Freight
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Curious 'ls' Issue

Hi, I am seeing a curious issue with 'ls' command. If I open a telnet session of my Solaris box and give "ls". The output is in 3 columns. a b c d e f g h i j k l However, if I give the same command after a couple of hours in the same window, it goes to 6 columns according to the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vibhor_agarwali
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

curious

sorry, just simple question: how can i do this in bash> foreach i( 1 2 3 ) sed 's/Hello/Howdy/g' test$i > test$i.new mv test$i.new test$i end (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kurosaki
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Curious

I dont get something about sed If i have a text file inside contain a:a:a:a:a sed "s/"$title:$author:$price:$qtyAvailable:$qtySold"/"$Ntitle:$author:$price:$qtyAvailable:$qtySold"/" This work!! but If i have a text file inside contain Tom Tom:La La:Di Di :Do Do :De DE It cannot work... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: GQiang
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Two curious questions

Hi, I have been thinking about a few things that I have no idea of how to do with a scripting language (awk/sed I know to make proper use of just these 2). 1. Is there a way to have persistent variables? Say a variable that will be held in memory, and which can be accessed by subsequent... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jamie_123
7 Replies
KILL(1) 							Linux User's Manual							   KILL(1)

NAME
kill - send a signal to a process SYNOPSIS
kill [ -signal | -s signal ] pid ... kill [ -L | -V, --version ] kill -l [ signal ] DESCRIPTION
The default signal for kill is TERM. Use -l or -L to list available signals. Particularly useful signals include HUP, INT, KILL, STOP, CONT, and 0. Alternate signals may be specified in three ways: -9 -SIGKILL -KILL. Negative PID values may be used to choose whole process groups; see the PGID column in ps command output. A PID of -1 is special; it indicates all processes except the kill process itself and init. SIGNALS
The signals listed below may be available for use with kill. When known constant, numbers and default behavior are shown. Name Num Action Description 0 0 n/a exit code indicates if a signal may be sent ALRM 14 exit HUP 1 exit INT 2 exit KILL 9 exit cannot be blocked PIPE 13 exit POLL exit PROF exit TERM 15 exit USR1 exit USR2 exit VTALRM exit STKFLT exit might not be implemented PWR ignore might exit on some systems WINCH ignore CHLD ignore URG ignore TSTP stop might interact with the shell TTIN stop might interact with the shell TTOU stop might interact with the shell STOP stop cannot be blocked CONT restart continue if stopped, otherwise ignore ABRT 6 core FPE 8 core ILL 4 core QUIT 3 core SEGV 11 core TRAP 5 core SYS core might not be implemented EMT core might not be implemented BUS core core dump might fail XCPU core core dump might fail XFSZ core core dump might fail NOTES
Your shell (command line interpreter) may have a built-in kill command. You may need to run the command described here as /bin/kill to solve the conflict. EXAMPLES
kill -9 -1 Kill all processes you can kill. kill -l 11 Translate number 11 into a signal name. kill -L List the available signal choices in a nice table. kill 123 543 2341 3453 Send the default signal, SIGTERM, to all those processes. SEE ALSO
pkill(1), skill(1), kill(2), renice(1), nice(1), signal(7), killall(1). STANDARDS
This command meets appropriate standards. The -L flag is Linux-specific. AUTHOR
Albert Cahalan <albert@users.sf.net> wrote kill in 1999 to replace a bsdutils one that was not standards compliant. The util-linux one might also work correctly. Please send bug reports to <procps-feedback@lists.sf.net> Linux November 21, 1999 KILL(1)