Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting looking for help on script to capture file permission. Post 302471875 by methyl on Monday 15th of November 2010 12:22:25 PM
Old 11-15-2010
One way. Inefficient but works for me. Based originally on a post on unix.com which used "dc" and totaly re-written to ensure that we always present a 4-digit octal number to "chmod" because Oracle makes use of SUID and SGID.

Code:
find /opt/ora10g/oracle -type f -print|while read filename
do
        # 10 character permissions from "ls"
        perms=`ls -lad "${filename}"|awk '{print $1}'`
        #
        # Convert to four 3-digit binary numbers
        binary1=`echo "${perms}"|cut -c4,7,10|tr xstST- 011110`
        binary2=`echo "${perms}"|cut -c2-4|tr rwsxtST- 11111000`
        binary3=`echo "${perms}"|cut -c5-7|tr rwsxtST- 11111000`
        binary4=`echo "${perms}"|cut -c8-10|tr rwsxtST- 11111000`
        #
        # Convert binary to octal
        octal1=`echo "obase=8;ibase=2;${binary1}"|bc`
        octal2=`echo "obase=8;ibase=2;${binary2}"|bc`
        octal3=`echo "obase=8;ibase=2;${binary3}"|bc`
        octal4=`echo "obase=8;ibase=2;${binary4}"|bc`
        #
        # Concatonate each octal digit
        octal="${octal1}${octal2}${octal3}${octal4}"
        # Output the final "chmod" command
        echo "chmod ${octal} \"${filename}\""
done

Last edited by methyl; 11-15-2010 at 01:24 PM.. Reason: lose the sort and other test code

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

file permission script

Hi all, I need one script, that will give the out put like all files having 777 permissions and full path from home directory. example:i created 777 permissions files three in my home directory and subdirectories also. i want out put like ./xxxxx/aaa.txt ./xxxxx/zzz/yyy.txt ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishna176
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to capture new lines in a file and copy it to new file

Hi All, I have a file that gives me new line/output every 5 minutes. I need to create a script that capture new line/output besides "IN CRON_STATUS", in this case the new output is "begin ------ cron_status.sh - -----------". I want this script to capture the line starting from "begin ------... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: fara_aris
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Capture Shell Script Output To A File

Hi, I am running a shell script called dbProcess.sh which performs shutdown and startup of various Oracle instances we have.At the time of execution the script produces the following output to the command line window $./dbProcess.sh stop #### Run Details ###### Hostname : server-hop-1... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajan_san
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to capture content of deleted file

I need to capture the content of a file before its being deleted. This file gets deleted immediately after it is created. I use the below shell command in the command prompt, but I'm not getting the desired result. bash-3.00# while true; do cat file* > tempfile; done; What I'm trying here... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bjawasa
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

shl script capture a file

need to be able to capture a file with the following conditions: The filenames are, for example, 3526_332840.dat, where 3526 is constant, and 332840 is a sequential number which is always a couple hundred greater than the previous day's file. I want to be able to change this script to acoomplish... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rechever
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK Script to Capture Each Line of File As Variable

Hi All, I'm working on creating a parts database. I currently have access to a manufacturer database in HTML and am working on moving all of the data into a MySQL db. I have created a sed script that strips out the HTML and unnecessary info and separates the script into one line for each field.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dkr
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

set -x within script and capture as a file

Okay, I've been working on a script for providing information on the progress of a backgrounded ditto command. Thanks to google and a lot of searching I've resolved all but one very odd error. At this point, I want to use xtrace (set -x) to try to uncover the issue. I have found several examples... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: reid
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to capture string in a log file

Dear all, I have a log file to be analysed. this log file contains vaiours lines of code starting with date timestamp. if my search string is exception then that resepective log statement starting from the date is required. example: 2014/10/01 16:14:44.459|>=|E|X|19202496|2832|... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shravee
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help on script to capture info on log file for a particular time frame

Hi I have a system running uname -a Linux cmovel-db01 2.6.32-38-server #83-Ubuntu SMP Wed Jan 4 11:26:59 UTC 2012 x86_64 GNU/Linux I would like to capture the contents of /var/log/syslog from 11:00AM to 11:30AM and sent to this info via email. I was thinking in set a cron entry at that... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fretagi
2 Replies
echo(1) 							   User Commands							   echo(1)

NAME
echo - echo arguments SYNOPSIS
/usr/bin/echo [string...] DESCRIPTION
The echo utility writes its arguments, separated by BLANKs and terminated by a NEWLINE, to the standard output. If there are no arguments, only the NEWLINE character will be written. echo is useful for producing diagnostics in command files, for sending known data into a pipe, and for displaying the contents of environ- ment variables. The C shell, the Korn shell, and the Bourne shell all have echo built-in commands, which, by default, will be invoked if the user calls echo without a full pathname. See shell_builtins(1). sh's echo, ksh's echo, and /usr/bin/echo understand the back-slashed escape charac- ters, except that sh's echo does not understand a as the alert character. In addition, ksh's echo, does not have an -n option. sh's echo and /usr/bin/echo only have an -n option if the SYSV3 environment variable is set (see ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES below). If it is, none of the backslashed characters mentioned above are available. csh's echo and /usr/ucb/echo, on the other hand, have an -n option, but do not under- stand the back-slashed escape characters. OPERANDS
The following operand is supported: string A string to be written to standard output. If any operand is "-n", it will be treated as a string, not an option. The following character sequences will be recognized within any of the arguments: a Alert character.  Backspace. c Print line without new-line. All characters following the c in the argument are ignored. f Form-feed. New-line. Carriage return. Tab. v Vertical tab. \ Backslash. n Where n is the 8-bit character whose ASCII code is the 1-, 2- or 3-digit octal number representing that character. USAGE
Portable applications should not use -n (as the first argument) or escape sequences. The printf(1) utility can be used portably to emulate any of the traditional behaviors of the echo utility as follows: o The Solaris 2.6 operating environment or compatible version's /usr/bin/echo is equivalent to: printf "%b " "$*" o The /usr/ucb/echo is equivalent to: if [ "X$1" = "X-n" ] then shift printf "%s" "$*" else printf "%s " "$*" fi New applications are encouraged to use printf instead of echo. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Finding how far below root your current directory is located You can use echo to determine how many subdirectories below the root directory (/) is your current directory, as follows: o Echo your current-working-directory's full pathname. o Pipe the output through tr to translate the path's embedded slash-characters into space-characters. o Pipe that output through wc -w for a count of the names in your path. example% /usr/bin/echo $PWD | tr '/' ' ' | wc -w See tr(1) and wc(1) for their functionality. Below are the different flavors for echoing a string without a NEWLINE: Example 2: /usr/bin/echo example% /usr/bin/echo "$USER's current directory is $PWDc" Example 3: sh/ksh shells example$ echo "$USER's current directory is $PWDc" Example 4: csh shell example% echo -n "$USER's current directory is $PWD" Example 5: /usr/ucb/echo example% /usr/ucb/echo -n "$USER's current directory is $PWD" ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of echo: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LC_MES- SAGES, and NLSPATH. SYSV3 This environment variable is used to provide compatibility with INTERACTIVE UNIX System and SCO UNIX installation scripts. It is intended for compatibility only and should not be used in new scripts. EXIT STATUS
The following error values are returned: 0 Successful completion. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
echo(1B), printf(1), shell_builtins(1), tr(1), wc(1), ascii(5), attributes(5), environ(5), standards(5) NOTES
When representing an 8-bit character by using the escape convention n, the n must always be preceded by the digit zero(0). For example, typing: echo 'WARNING:7' will print the phrase WARNING: and sound the "bell" on your terminal. The use of single (or double) quotes (or two backslashes) is required to protect the "" that precedes the "07". Following the , up to three digits are used in constructing the octal output character. If, following the n, you want to echo addi- tional digits that are not part of the octal representation, you must use the full 3-digit n. For example, if you want to echo "ESC 7" you must use the three digits "033" rather than just the two digits "33" after the . 2 digits Incorrect: echo"0337 | od -xc produces: df0a (hex) 337 (ascii) 3 digits Correct: echo "00337" | od -xc produces: lb37 0a00 (hex) 033 7 (ascii) For the octal equivalents of each character, see ascii(5). SunOS 5.10 20 Jan 2000 echo(1)