Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Delete the lines if it matchs a selected string Post 302471567 by rashmisb on Saturday 13th of November 2010 10:20:04 PM
Old 11-13-2010
thanks a lot, it works ...I had one more doubt, wht if the field delimiter is not fixed i.e what if I had to process multiple files without knowing the filed delimiter .
Can I pass the field delimiter during the runtime.
in the below example, my file1 has pipe delimiter and file2 has tab delimter.

file1
abc|Y|N|
cdb|Y|Y

and file2
abc Y N
cdb Y Y

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Delete multiple lines containting a variable string using SED.

Good morning, Novice scripter in Unix here, and I've run into and sed task I can't quite wrap my head around. I'm pulling my hair out fast enough as it is and thought I would go to the knowledge bank. I have a sorted file that I'm trying to trim down by deleting any line whose first few... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: selkirk
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

trying to print selected fields of selected lines by AWK

I am trying to print 1st, 2nd, 13th and 14th fields of a file of line numbers from 29 to 10029. I dont know how to put this in one code. Currently I am removing the selected lines by awk 'NR==29,NR==10029' File1 > File2 and then doing awk '{print $1, $2, $13, $14}' File2 > File3 Can... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ananyob
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to delete selected string from a file?

awk '!(/^$/||/--/||/selected/||/^ *$/){print "A." $1 " <> B." $1 " or"}' infile my AWK out put is : A.KZ <> B.KZ or A.KZT <> B.KZT or A.KZ_Z <> B.KZ_Z or A.LH <> B.LH or A.MAN<> B.MAN or A.OBJEKT <> B.OBJECT or A.PAK <> B.PAK ; is there any way to controle AWK to not print the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kanakaraju
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete a line between selected lines using sed or any other command

I want to delete a line between selected lines using sed: e.g. : Between "bus" to "pins", delete lines conaining "signal" word. Input : bus direction signal new signal old pins signal ok end Desired Output: bus direction pins signal end (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nehashine
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

delete all lines with string, process all files in directory

Simply, I have a directory of text files and I need to delete every line in every file containing a specific string. I want to write the modified files to an empty sub directory. I can't seem to get the sed command to delete the lines containing the string, and not just the string, in other... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep a string from input file and delete next three lines including the line contains string in xml

Hi, 1_strings file contains $ cat 1_strings /home/$USER/Src /home/Valid /home/Review$ cat myxml <projected value="some string" path="/home/$USER/Src"> <input 1/> <estimate value/> <somestring/> </projected> <few more lines > <projected value="some string" path="/home/$USER/check">... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: greet_sed
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete selected lines

hi Gurus, I have a source file with more than 10 columns ( not fixed ) I want to delete all the lines on the following condition 1) where i have first column as "UPDATE PLAN ADD RATE SCHEDULE" and fourth column as null awk '($1=="UPDATE PLAN ADD RATE SCHEDULE" && $4=="") {print $0}'... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: r_t_1601
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to delete lines starting with specific string?

Dear all, I would like to delete even lines starting with "N" together with their respective titles which are actually odd lines. Below is the example of input file. I would like to remove line 8 and 12 together with its title line, i.e., line 7 and 11, respectively.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: huiyee1
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete all lines except a line starting with string

Shell : bash OS : RHEL 6.8 I have a file like below. $ cat pattern.txt hello txt1 txt2 txt3 some other text txt4 I want to remove all lines in this file except the ones starting with txt . How can I do this ? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: omega3
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete all lines from file matching a string

I wish to search and delete all lines in /app/Jenkins/deploy.txt having this filename string /app/Jenkins/file2.mrt as entry: I'm using : colon as delimiter in sed command as I'm dealing with file paths. Below is the command I was expecting to work. sed -i ":/app/Jenkins/file2.mrt:d"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
1 Replies
UNIQ(1) 						    BSD General Commands Manual 						   UNIQ(1)

NAME
uniq -- report or filter out repeated lines in a file SYNOPSIS
uniq [-cdu] [-f fields] [-s chars] [input_file [output_file]] DESCRIPTION
The uniq utility reads the standard input comparing adjacent lines, and writes a copy of each unique input line to the standard output. The second and succeeding copies of identical adjacent input lines are not written. Repeated lines in the input will not be detected if they are not adjacent, so it may be necessary to sort the files first. The following options are available: -c Precede each output line with the count of the number of times the line occurred in the input, followed by a single space. -d Don't output lines that are not repeated in the input. -f fields Ignore the first fields in each input line when doing comparisons. A field is a string of non-blank characters separated from adja- cent fields by blanks. Field numbers are one based, i.e. the first field is field one. -s chars Ignore the first chars characters in each input line when doing comparisons. If specified in conjunction with the -f option, the first chars characters after the first fields fields will be ignored. Character numbers are one based, i.e. the first character is character one. -u Don't output lines that are repeated in the input. If additional arguments are specified on the command line, the first such argument is used as the name of an input file, the second is used as the name of an output file. The uniq utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. COMPATIBILITY
The historic +number and -number options have been deprecated but are still supported in this implementation. SEE ALSO
sort(1) STANDARDS
The uniq utility is expected to be IEEE Std 1003.2 (``POSIX.2'') compatible. BSD
January 6, 2007 BSD