Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: grep fixed string with regex
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting grep fixed string with regex Post 302469761 by teresaejunior on Monday 8th of November 2010 04:56:43 AM
Old 11-08-2010
Thank you, bakunin! But it still greps the "A", or I'm doing something wrong... The idea is: we prompt the user for a string, and then we check if it matches the criteria. So the echo thing is actually used, and the pipe later:

Code:
$ echo " u_sA9e-u " | grep '[ ]*[^_a-z][-_a-z0-9]*\$*[ ]*'
 u_sA9e-u 

$ echo "u_sA9e-u" | grep '[ \t]*[^_a-z][-_a-z0-9]*\$*[ \t]*'
u_sA9e-u

$ echo "u_sA9e-u" | grep -w '[ \t]*[^_a-z][-_a-z0-9]*\$*[ \t]*'

$ echo "u_sA9e-u" | grep -x '[ \t]*[^_a-z][-_a-z0-9]*\$*[ \t]*'

$ echo "u_sA9e-u" | grep -o '[ \t]*[^_a-z][-_a-z0-9]*\$*[ \t]*'
A9e-u

And I tried a bunch of different commands again with no luck... Would you try it there?

Best regards!
Teresa e Junior

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed, grep, awk, regex -- extracting a matched substring from a file/string

Ok, I'm stumped and can't seem to find relevant info. (I'm not even sure, I might have asked something similar before.): I'm trying to use shell scripting/UNIX commands to extract URLs from a fairly large web page, with a view to ultimately wrapping this in PHP with exec() and including the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ropers
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

| help | unix | grep (GNU grep) 2.5.1 | advanced regex syntax

Hello, I'm working on unix with grep (GNU grep) 2.5.1. I'm going through some of the newer regex syntax using Regular Expression Reference - Advanced Syntax a guide. ls -aLl /bin | grep "\(x\)" Which works, just highlights 'x' where ever, when ever. I'm trying to to get (?:) to work but... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: MykC
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Regex to match when input is not a certain string (can't use grep -v)

Hey everyone, Basically, all I'm looking for is a way to regex for not a certain string. The regex I'm looking to avoid matching is: D222 i.e. an equivalent of: awk '!/D222/' The problem is that I use this in the following command in a Bash script: ls ${source_directory} | awk... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kdelok
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

filtering out duplicate substrings, regex string from a string

My input contains a single word lines. From each line data.txt prjtestBlaBlatestBlaBla prjthisBlaBlathisBlaBla prjthatBlaBladpthatBlaBla prjgoodBlaBladpgoodBlaBla prjgood1BlaBla123dpgood1BlaBla123 Desired output --> data_out.txt prjtestBlaBla prjthisBlaBla... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kchinnam
8 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using grep to check for character at fixed position

i have a file (test.txt) that contains: 20799510617900000928000000005403020110315V 20799510617900000928000000005403020110316 20799510617900000928000000005403020110317 20799510617900000928000000005403020110318V grep V test.txt > /tmp/void.log if then mail -s "void" < test.txt fi... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tjmannonline
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting a string without fixed delimiters

I have a line of text for example aaaa bbbb cccc dddd eeee ffffff I would need to get the cccc however bbbb could be there or not. So whether bbbb is in the line or not I need cccc. I was looking at either awk or sed....and trying to start at c and end until the next space. Also... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: bombcan1
11 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep regex, match exact string which includes "/" anywhere on line.

I have a file that contains the 2 following lines (from /proc/mounts) /dev/sdc1 /mnt/backup2 xfs rw,relatime,attr2,noquota 0 0 /dev/sdb1 /mnt/backup xfs rw,relatime,attr2,noquota 0 0 I need to match the string in the second column exactly so that only one result is returned, e.g. > grep... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jelloir
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep with regex containing one string but not the other

Hi to you all, I'm just struggling with a regex problem and I'm pretty sure that I'm missing sth obvious... :confused: I need a regex to feed my grep in order to find lines that contain one string but not the other. Here's the data example: 2015-04-08 19:04:55,926|xxxxxxxxxx| ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: stresing
11 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep string with regex numeric characters

Hi all, I have the following entries in a file: Cause Indicators=80 90 Cause Indicators=80 90 Cause Indicators=82 90 Cause Indicators=82 90 Cause Indicators=82 90 The first 2 digits might change so I am after a sort of grep which could find any first 2 digits + the second 2,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nms
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Grep multiple words in a file with help of fixed string switch

I have multiple strings in a file which have special character $, when i search strings by ignoring $ with \ using single quotes it returns empty results. My search strings are set char_1($lock) and set new_char_clear_3($unlock) I tried searching with but it returns empty results.However... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: g_eashwar
3 Replies
echo(1B)					     SunOS/BSD Compatibility Package Commands						  echo(1B)

NAME
echo - echo arguments to standard output SYNOPSIS
/usr/ucb/echo [-n] [argument] DESCRIPTION
echo writes its arguments, separated by BLANKs and terminated by a NEWLINE, to the standard output. echo is useful for producing diagnostics in command files and for sending known data into a pipe, and for displaying the contents of envi- ronment variables. For example, you can use echo to determine how many subdirectories below the root directory (/) is your current directory, as follows: o echo your current-working-directory's full pathname o pipe the output through tr to translate the path's embedded slash-characters into space-characters o pipe that output through wc -w for a count of the names in your path. example% /usr/bin/echo "echo $PWD | tr '/' ' ' | wc -w" See tr(1) and wc(1) for their functionality. The shells csh(1), ksh(1), and sh(1), each have an echo built-in command, which, by default, will have precedence, and will be invoked if the user calls echo without a full pathname. /usr/ucb/echo and csh's echo() have an -n option, but do not understand back-slashed escape characters. sh's echo(), ksh's echo(), and /usr/bin/echo, on the other hand, understand the black-slashed escape characters, and ksh's echo() also understands a as the audible bell character; however, these commands do not have an -n option. OPTIONS
-n Do not add the NEWLINE to the output. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWscpu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), echo(1), ksh(1), sh(1), tr(1), wc(1), attributes(5) NOTES
The -n option is a transition aid for BSD applications, and may not be supported in future releases. SunOS 5.11 3 Aug 1994 echo(1B)