Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Issue in cat command
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Issue in cat command Post 302469296 by shreevatsau on Friday 5th of November 2010 11:15:09 AM
Old 11-05-2010
Thanks

Thank you so much for the reply.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue with Unix cat command

Hi Experts, I am finding the performance of cat command is very wierd, it is taking more time to merge the files into a single file. We have a situation where we would be merging more than 100 files into a single file, but with cat command it is running slow. I tried doing with paste, join... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: RcR
13 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between cat , cat > , cat >> and touch !!!

Hi Can anybody tell the difference between Difference between cat , cat > , cat >> and touch command in UNIX? Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: skyineyes
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

cat command

Dear All I have two text files File1.txt and File2.txt . I am concatenating the two files and making it as single file Cat_File.txt. Now i need to keep joined file in two different path. that is I need to use cat command only once ,but store joined file in two different locations. Since... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tkbharani
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

cat in the command line doesn't match cat in the script

Hello, So I sorted my file as I was supposed to: sort -n -r -k 2 -k 1 file1 | uniq > file2 and when I wrote > cat file2 in the command line, I got what I was expecting, but in the script itself ... sort -n -r -k 2 -k 1 averages | uniq > temp cat file2 It wrote a whole... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: shira
21 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cat command help

I want to concatenate 100 files to one file and append file name in each record to find out which file it came from for a in $(<shal_group) do cat $a >> bigoutput.group The above code put all files in one file but i want file name appended to each file Record should be like this... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinnacle
3 Replies

6. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

cat issue

I have list of files in my current directory abc.txt 123.csv 234.csv 245.csv 145.csv 123_ex_c.sv I don't want to open first and last file. i.e (abc.txt and 123_ex_csv) I tried cat *.csv, but it won't work. Can anyone tell me the proper regex only in cat Thanks Pritish ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pritish.sas
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

simple for loop/cat issue

ok.. so problem is: I have a file that reads: cat 123 1 and 2 3 and 4 5 and 6 I was using for loops to run through this information. Code: for i in `cat 123` do echo $i done shouldn't the output come as 1 and 2 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: foal_11
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script with ^M causes display issue with cat or more

I have a script to do a couple simple but repetitive commands on files that are provided to us. One of the things is to get rid of the line feeds. This is the section that is causing problems, i even cut this section into its own file to make sure nothing else was affecting it. #!/usr/bin/bash... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: oly_r
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue in executing cat (remote ssh)

Hi, I need to ssh remotely to a machine and cat a file assign the value to a variable Script: #!/bin/bash -x value=`cat config.txt` echo "$value" ssh me@xxx.host.com "valu='cat /export/home/test.md5'; echo "$valu"" | tee Execution: $ ./x ++ cat config.txt + value='touch me' +... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: close2jay
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Issue with cat command on a for loop

Good day to all, I'd like to ask for your advice with regards to this. Scenario : I have here a file named TEST.tmp wherein the value inside is below; "ONE|TWO|FIVE|THREE|FOUR|SIX~SEVEN~EIGHT" "NINE" But when I'm trying to use this in a simple command like; for TESTING in $(cat... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: asdfghjkl
4 Replies
exit(1)                                                            User Commands                                                           exit(1)

NAME
exit, return, goto - shell built-in functions to enable the execution of the shell to advance beyond its sequence of steps SYNOPSIS
sh exit [n] return [n] csh exit [ ( expr )] goto label ksh *exit [n] *return [n] DESCRIPTION
sh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit with the exit status specified by n. If n is omitted the exit status is that of the last command executed (an EOF will also cause the shell to exit.) return causes a function to exit with the return value specified by n. If n is omitted, the return status is that of the last command exe- cuted. csh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit, either with the value of the status variable or with the value specified by the expression expr. The goto built-in uses a specified label as a search string amongst commands. The shell rewinds its input as much as possible and searches for a line of the form label: possibly preceded by space or tab characters. Execution continues after the indicated line. It is an error to jump to a label that occurs between a while or for built-in command and its corresponding end. ksh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit with the exit status specified by n. The value will be the least significant 8 bits of the specified status. If n is omitted then the exit status is that of the last command executed. When exit occurs when executing a trap, the last command refers to the command that executed before the trap was invoked. An end-of-file will also cause the shell to exit except for a shell which has the ignoreeof option (See set below) turned on. return causes a shell function or '.' script to return to the invoking script with the return status specified by n. The value will be the least significant 8 bits of the specified status. If n is omitted then the return status is that of the last command executed. If return is invoked while not in a function or a '.' script, then it is the same as an exit. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
break(1), csh(1), ksh(1), sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 exit(1)