Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: AIX NIM installation
Operating Systems AIX AIX NIM installation Post 302469245 by ross.mather on Friday 5th of November 2010 06:24:03 AM
Old 11-05-2010
You can run NIM on any LPAR you want, you just need to make sure that the nim.master fileset is installed, its on the AIX install media.

HOWEVER, the NIM master always needs to be at the latest level of AIX that you are using in your environment so it tends to need to be restarted more often that other servers. As such it doesn't make sense to have NIM co-exist with any application with availability requirements.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

AIX NIM backup with Firewall

Hi- I'm using NIM functionality (AIX5.3) to backup all AIX Servers but some Servers are in the DmZ and many tcpip ports (nfs, ping,etc...) should be open and... it's really a security risks! As anyone experience about NIM Backup through Firewall? Which tcpip ports should be open? Could we... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nymus7
1 Replies

2. AIX

migrate NIM server through NIM installation

I try to migrate a NIM server from one server to another. I try to do a mksysb on NIM server restore the NIM server's mksysb to a client through NIM installation shutdown NIM server start newly installed client as NIM server Does anyone do this before? who can give me some suggestion? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yanzhang
1 Replies

3. AIX

Problem with nim installation

Dear Frnz, I have a strange problem with nim installation. I am able to push the image from Nim server to the client and the Os is reinstalled successfully.But after the installation the client doesnt hold any host name or ip address.That is the host name is assigned as local host and ip is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sriram.s
2 Replies

4. AIX

How will do migration through NIM server in AIX

Can any one help..... How will do migration through NIM server? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: AIXlearner
4 Replies

5. AIX

aix-configure nim client

:b:Hi... I need help to configure nim client on nim server.. can i define aix 5.3.4.0 on aix 5.3.7.0 nim server.. while i m configuring nim client on nim server its getting msg that images not same.. i need to confirm that both version should be same or not.. Thanks.. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumathi.k
5 Replies

6. AIX

Migrating a NIM Server to AIX 6.1

Guys, We are planning to upgrade one of our NIM server to AIX 6.1 from 5.3... Since the server itself is a NIM Server we can't perform it via NIM & I'm choosing to do CD install.. The Install method would be Upgrade installation. Is there anything special that I need to consider before... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kkeng808
5 Replies

7. AIX

NIM client installation hangs at 0608

Hi All, I am facing very strange problem. I have created NIM server with 6.1 TL4SP3. I am having SPOT and MKsysb of the same version. I am able to install the client using this spot and mksysb. Now I got the requirement of installing the 5.3 ML11SP3 client. So using the mksysb of 5.3 ML11SP3, I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: falgun6666
3 Replies

8. AIX

sysback with aix over NIM

HELLO ALL i have installed aix 6.2 , and install sysback 6.1 over Nim , and cinfigure it by Nim AND sysback smitty menu with create spot and lppsource and make TSM configration for that, i take image backup(installation image) successfully but when i want to restore this image , the boot cycle... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nancy_ghawanmeh
5 Replies

9. AIX

RHEL Installation using NIM

We are primarily a AIX shop and we will be building our first Linux server on Intel server. I would like to know if someone has experience installing RHEL using NIM running on AIX. I would like to know if this is possible. If yes, how will the network boot and NFS work without using 3 rd... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mk8570
3 Replies

10. AIX

Nim on AIX 7.1 used to migrate AIX 5.3 to AIX 6.1...is possible?

Using nimadm: nimadm -j nimadmvg -c sap024 -s spot_6100 -l lpp_6100 -d "hdisk1" -Y Initializing the NIM master. Initializing NIM client sap024. 0505-205 nimadm: The level of bos.alt_disk_install.rte installed in SPOT spot_6100 (6.1.3.4) does not match the NIM master's level (7.1.1.2).... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sciacca75
2 Replies
lvmpvg(4)						     Kernel Interfaces Manual							 lvmpvg(4)

NAME
lvmpvg - LVM physical volume group information file SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
is an ASCII file that stores the volume-group information for all of the physical volume groups in the system. The information is stored in a hierarchical format. First, it starts with a volume group under which multiple physical volume groups can exist. Under each physical volume group, a list of physical volumes can be specified. There must be at least one physical volume group in each volume group that appears in this file. The physical-volume-group name must be unique within the corresponding volume group, although it is permissible to use a common physical volume group name across different volume groups. There can be as many volume groups in this file as there are in the system. Instead of using the and commands, the administrator can edit this file to create and extend physical volume groups. However, care must be taken to ensure that all physical volumes to be included in the file have already been defined in their respective volume groups by previ- ous use of or The file format has the following structure. and are keywords that introduce the names of the volume group and physical volume group, respectively. pv_path ... pv_path ... pv_path ... The variables are defined as follows: pv_path The block device path name of a physical volume within the volume group. pvg_name The name of the physical volume group. It must be unique within the volume group. vg_name The path name of the volume group. EXAMPLES
The following example shows an file containing two volume groups: the first containing two physical volume groups, each with two physical volumes defined in it; the second containing three physical volume groups, each with one physical volume defined in it. SEE ALSO
vgcreate(1M), vgextend(1M), vgreduce(1M), vgremove(1M), intro(7), lvm(7). lvmpvg(4)