Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: pick columns
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting pick columns Post 302468345 by sigh2010 on Tuesday 2nd of November 2010 12:23:21 PM
Old 11-02-2010
pick columns

I want to be able pick columns from 2 files with similar reference data:

File 1

Code:
Last NameFirst NameSalaryCityDunnJohn $42,000.00 ChicagoGrantSuzy $95,000.00 GaryLoweMike $80,000.00 MilwaukeeGrantMike $59,000.00 JolietLoweKaren $48,000.00 South Bend

File 2

Code:
TitleFirst NameLast NameStateVPMikeGrantIllinoisEVPKarenLoweIndianaAVPJohnDunnIllinoisCEOSuzyGrantIndianaCFOMikeLoweWisconsin

I would like for example

Code:
First NameLast NameCityStateMikeGrantJolietIllinoisKarenLoweSouth BendIndianaJohnDunnChicagoIllinoisSuzyGrantGaryIndianaMikeLoweMilwaukeeWisconsin

THis is with requirement the names in the 1st 2 columns stay associcated with each other. First name and Last name need to be correctly associated.

Last edited by radoulov; 11-02-2010 at 01:25 PM.. Reason: Code tags, please!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Please help me pick a machine

Hey guys I am new here and like this forum alot. I went to get into Solaris and would like to buy a sun box on ebay. NON rackmount. Problem is there is so many diff types. I am looking for one under the $800 range that can support solaris 10 and have the basics and decent ram. Can you guys... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gnfanatic
11 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to pick distinct records..........

How can i pick distinct records which consists of duplicate data from a ASCII file using UNIX commands (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ss4u
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pick the exact value

Hi, How do i pick a particular value from a group of lines using python. for instance from the below sample. How do I pick Value=1 of OuterLines=1 and InnerLine=1 (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahmedwaseem2000
11 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

need to pick out files which are not of zero bytes

I need a scriptto print only those files from a list of files starting with STMT* which are not of zero bytes ...i.e they have some size if these are the files 631 -rw-r--r-- 1 assrisa assrisa 39099 Aug 19 07:16 STMT_05_D1090819_T071320 -rw-r--r-- 1 assrisa assrisa 0 Aug 19... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: viv1
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pick one file from each subdirectory

Hi, I have a problem I am trying to solve with bash. I need to search in a file system (data base) with hundreds of directories and thousands of subdirectories and millions of files. The files have a specific format with a header that gives the properties. Directories are organized so... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: majest
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pick and print

Hi Friends, I'm facing an issue. I am having a file as under : a1 b1 c1 a2 a3 a4 b4 a5 b5 and I need to get the output as under: a1 b1 a4 b4 a5 b5 i.e. to pick the columns where a and b are consecutive and ignoring rest. I was trying some thing sily as: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vanand420
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Pick out columns according to list of column names

Hi Everyone: I'm new to linux and I was wondering what the best way to approach the following problem was. I have 2 files: File A: ID123 ID234 ID456 File B: ID123 ID234 ID345 ID456 A B C D E F G H I J K L Based on the list of IDs in File A, I want to output only the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chongm88
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to pick max values of the columns

Hi, I have sar disk reports like below sample: 01:01:00 hdisk24 0 0.0 0 0 0.0 0.0 hdisk15 0 0.0 0 3 0.0 5.5 hdisk20 0 0.0 2 1 0.0 1.9 hdisk19 1 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: reddyr
3 Replies

9. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Clustered filesystem which one to pick

Hi all, I'm a bit new to advanced filesystem types. I've just only learned that if you wish to share a single fibre channel extent with many servers you need to use a clustered filesystem to prevent data corruption. looking through a list of clustered file systems I saw gfs2 which I thought... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jokken
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pick systems

looking for any advise on how to export Pick data from an AIX implementation. i have someone with limited experience that knows how to create a text file from a pick database. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jgt
1 Replies
PAPS(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   PAPS(1)

NAME
paps - UTF-8 to PostScript converter using Pango SYNOPSIS
paps [options] files... DESCRIPTION
paps reads a UTF-8 encoded file and generates a PostScript language rendering of the file. The rendering is done by creating outline curves through the pango ft2 backend. OPTIONS
These programs follow the usual GNU command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes (`-'). A summary of options is included below. --landscape Landscape output. Default is portrait. --columns=cl Number of columns output. Default is 1. Please notice this option isn't related to the terminal length as in a "80 culums terminal". --font=desc Set the font description. Default is Monospace 12. --rtl Do right to left (RTL) layout. --paper ps Choose paper size. Known paper sizes are legal, letter and A4. Default is A4. Postscript points Each postscript point equals to 1/72 of an inch. 36 points are 1/2 of an inch. --bottom-margin=bm Set bottom margin. Default is 36 postscript points. --top-margin=tm Set top margin. Default is 36 postscript points. --left-margin=lm Set left margin. Default is 36 postscript points. --right-margin=rm Set right margin. Default is 36 postscript points. --gutter-width=gw Set gutter width. Default is 40 postscript points. --help Show summary of options. --header Draw page header for each page. --markup Interpret the text as pango markup. --lpi Set the lines per inch. This determines the line spacing. --cpi Set the characters per inch. This is an alternative method of specifying the font size. --stretch-chars Indicates that characters should be stretched in the y-direction to fill up their vertical space. This is similar to the texttops behaviour. AUTHOR
paps was written by Dov Grobgeld <dov.grobgeld@gmail.com>. This manual page was written by Lior Kaplan <kaplan@debian.org>, for the Debian project (but may be used by others). April 17, 2006 PAPS(1)