Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Script for Taring the all the folderand move into another server Post 302465383 by bakunin on Friday 22nd of October 2010 09:56:24 AM
Old 10-22-2010
I am not sure why you use such a complicated approach - not to mention that the AIX tar doesn't understand "-maxdepth", because it is no GNU-tar:

Code:
tar -cvf /path/to/tarfile $(find ./* -prune -type d -print)

should more or less do what you want.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to move a file from one server to another server using FTP in shell script?

I have a file --> file1.txt i need to copy this file to another server using FTP....the 2 servers are server1 and server2..may i know how to write a script that can do this? thanks in advance! Im a newbie to this... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: forevercalz
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to move files while Taring..

Hi, When I run the following command the files get TAR but the files in the folder remain intact. tar -cvf TARZIP.10 Nov09/ Is there any way to move them into the folder than just copying them. Thanks and regards, Gideon. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: preethgideon
2 Replies

3. IP Networking

Dedicated Server Move

I just moved a dedicated server, which included moving to a new subnet, and new IP address. Now my server is not reconnecting - I've tried ifconfig, altering the etc/hosts file with the new ip address, with no luck. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: esmerika
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to move files as they generate to another server ?

Im trying to come up with a way to automate moving logs as they generate from one server to another. Anyone have script or idea how most simply to get it done ? want to get this working so dont have to monitor and move these logs during the evening. Thanks for any ideas -Vinman (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vinman
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

TARing multiple files at once

Hi guys, I'm trying to write a quick script to archive off some data once a week. So far I have got; DATE=`date +%Y-%m-%d` TARFILE=${DATE}.tar for file in `find /usr/local/DATA/in -mtime +6`; do tar -czvf ${TARFILE} ${file}; done The problem I have is it is going through the results... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: JayC89
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Recursively UNTARing and then TARing back

I've just finished writing a shell script that searches for a string recursively in all text files and replace them with another string. Now, all these files come from a location nested deep within some TAR files which are inside another mother TAR. To make my script work, we had been UNTARing... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: exchequer598
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Taring 2 dir together

Hello everyone, I am trying to tar 2 directories together in KSH. tar -cvf temptarfile.tar scripts tar -cvf temptarfile.tar scripts.2 I need all the files in scripts and scripts.2 to be in one tar file. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: BrutalBryan
1 Replies

8. AIX

How to move libraries to another server

Hi, I have compiled FreeTDS on AIX 5.3. Its my dev environment so I have c compilers on the box so I was able to compile. From the test environment onwards I will not be able to have c compilers. I tried to move these files directly to the test environment with the same directory structure but I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijayraghavk
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Tar command not taring all files

I am just creating tar.gz file with comand tar -zcvf xyz.tar.gz /home/xyz/* xyz folder contains thousands of files mostly .c, .cpp, etc.. I see that many times all the files are not zipped. Many files(in hundreds) are abruptly left out. What may be the reason for this and how to resolve... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: rupeshkp728
10 Replies
bup-join(1)						      General Commands Manual						       bup-join(1)

NAME
bup-join - concatenate files from a bup repository SYNOPSIS
bup join [-r host:path] [refs or hashes...] DESCRIPTION
bup join is roughly the opposite operation to bup-split(1). You can use it to retrieve the contents of a file from a local or remote bup repository. The supplied list of refs or hashes can be in any format accepted by git(1), including branch names, commit ids, tree ids, or blob ids. If no refs or hashes are given on the command line, bup join reads them from stdin instead. OPTIONS
-r, --remote=host:path Retrieves objects from the given remote repository instead of the local one. path may be blank, in which case the default remote repository is used. The connection to the remote server is made with SSH. If you'd like to specify which port, user or private key to use for the SSH connection, we recommend you use the ~/.ssh/config file. EXAMPLE
# split and then rejoin a file using its tree id TREE=$(tar -cvf - /etc | bup split -t) bup join $TREE | tar -tf - # make two backups, then get the second-most-recent. # mybackup~1 is git(1) notation for the second most # recent commit on the branch named mybackup. tar -cvf - /etc | bup split -n mybackup tar -cvf - /etc | bup split -n mybackup bup join mybackup~1 | tar -tf - SEE ALSO
bup-split(1), bup-save(1), ssh_config(5) BUP
Part of the bup(1) suite. AUTHORS
Avery Pennarun <apenwarr@gmail.com>. Bup unknown- bup-join(1)