Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: scp links! wrong permissions
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting scp links! wrong permissions Post 302461732 by halacil on Tuesday 12th of October 2010 06:12:04 AM
Old 10-12-2010
Now my server is not booting.

I get screen saying (none)login: ... if I enter root and press enter it comes back with the same prompt again and again!!
it also mentioned of init=/bin/sh and init cant execute /etc/x11/prefdm
init id x respawning too fast…
tried rebooting from the console by doing ctrl + alt +del but comes back with /cant open /var/run/shutdown.pid

I tried the following but no joy!
Inserted the linux installation cd.. ( rescue mode)...
Checked the permission on /bin and it was set to ?r- -rw-rx tried to do chmod –R 775 but got error operation not permitted ...
Already had backup of /bin so Untar’d the /bin/bin.tar and tried to over write the /bin but got this error: can not overwite /bin bin not a directory...
For some strange reason /bin is not own by root the owner and group name are both numeric, So i tried chown –R root but keep getting user root does not exist!
If I do id.. i can see that i have logged on as root and it does exist in /etc/passwd

Last edited by halacil; 10-12-2010 at 07:33 AM..

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

SCP from one solaris box to another without copying links

I am doing a scp (directory)from one solaris box to another.The problem is that all links present in that directory also get copied .I do not want the links to get copied .currently I am using following syntax scp -rvp pcserver info@appudemo.sea.us.wam.net:/home/info I checked the man... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: u449064
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

About links

why directory has two links as default. what's the purpose? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nagalenoj
1 Replies

3. HP-UX

To give the "unzip" permissions & "create" file permissions

Hi, I am a Unix Admin. I have to give the permissions to a user for creating new file in a directory in HP-Ux 11.11 system since he cannot able to create a new file in the directory. Thanks in advance. Mike (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mike1234
3 Replies

4. Debian

scp not preserving properties and links

I'm trying to get a number of old disks on HP-UX 10.2 copied over to a new Debian machine which has a NAS on it. The HP does not have rsync, but does have scp. Scp unfortunately does not always preserve permissions, and does not save links which were on the disk. Apparently rsync has a flag... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: PasadenaDave
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh; Change file permissions, update file, change permissions back?

Hi, I am creating a ksh script to search for a string of text inside files within a directory tree. Some of these file are going to be read/execute only. I know to use chmod to change the permissions of the file, but I want to preserve the original permissions after writing to the file. How can I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: right_coaster
3 Replies

6. Solaris

Hard Links and Soft or Sym links

When loooking at files in a directory using ls, how can I tell if I have a hard link or soft link? (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Harleyrci
11 Replies

7. AIX

List all the soft links and hard links

Hi I'm logged in as root in an aix box Which command will list all the soft links and hard links present in the server ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newtoaixos
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Why result is wrong here ? whether break statement is wrong ?

Hi ! all I am just trying to check range in my datafile pls tell me why its resulting wrong admin@IEEE:~/Desktop$ cat test.txt 0 28.4 5 28.4 10 28.4 15 28.5 20 28.5 25 28.6 30 28.6 35 28.7 40 28.7 45 28.7 50 28.8 55 28.8 60 28.8 65 28.1... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Akshay Hegde
2 Replies
GZEXE(1)						      General Commands Manual							  GZEXE(1)

NAME
gzexe - compress executable files in place SYNOPSIS
gzexe name ... DESCRIPTION
The gzexe utility allows you to compress executables in place and have them automatically uncompress and execute when you run them (at a penalty in performance). For example if you execute ``gzexe /usr/bin/gdb'' it will create the following two files: -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1026675 Jun 7 13:53 /usr/bin/gdb -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 2304524 May 30 13:02 /usr/bin/gdb~ /usr/bin/gdb~ is the original file and /usr/bin/gdb is the self-uncompressing executable file. You can remove /usr/bin/gdb~ once you are sure that /usr/bin/gdb works properly. This utility is most useful on systems with very small disks. OPTIONS
-d Decompress the given executables instead of compressing them. SEE ALSO
gzip(1), znew(1), zmore(1), zcmp(1), zforce(1) CAVEATS
The compressed executable is a shell script. This may create some security holes. In particular, the compressed executable relies on the PATH environment variable to find gzip and some standard utilities (basename, chmod, ln, mkdir, mktemp, rm, sleep, and tail). BUGS
gzexe attempts to retain the original file attributes on the compressed executable, but you may have to fix them manually in some cases, using chmod or chown. GZEXE(1)