Sponsored Content
Homework and Emergencies Emergency UNIX and Linux Support Shutdown to a Halt and restart Post 302461541 by pileofrogs on Monday 11th of October 2010 01:58:38 PM
Old 10-11-2010
Ding! We have a winner!

If you want the box to shutdown and immediately come back, you can use some variant of reboot. If you want it to shutdown and then come back at a later time, you're SOL without special hardware or a human standing next to the box.

If you wanted to get wacky, you could have the box reboot into some kind of not-entirely active state, like single user mode, wait for a pre-determined amount of time, and then boot into the normal fully-active runlevel. You better be damn sure of yourself though, because if you make a single mistake, it won't come back and you'll need someone to debug it from the console.

Or, more sanely, you could reboot but disable whatever services you don't want running until the time has passed. EG If the reason you want it "off" for a while is to keep people from surfing your web server, disable the web server daemon, reboot, wait until the time is passed and then start the web server.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

where's solaris halt log?

hi folks could tell my anyone where solaris 8 stores the logs about shutdown/halt command. I found no entries in syslog, but there more logs directories. probabaly a stupid question, but fast help would be great! thanks king regards, patrick (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrsaint
6 Replies

2. Programming

How to halt Prog Execution for some time?

Hi, Perhaps I am asking a silly question, but I really don't know about it. Can anyone tell me the function for "sleep" kind of functionality in C language for Unix. I don't think any function with the name of sleep() exits in Unix's C language. or perhaps I am not known with the header file... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ahsan
3 Replies

3. Solaris

difference b/w halt shutdown

Hi, I want to know the difference between halt and shutdown commands and which is better to use? Regards, visu (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: visu_ak
2 Replies

4. Solaris

Restart/Shutdown the Solaris from SC>

Hi Experts, I am running solris 9. Sun-Fire 880. How do i shutdowon the whole server using ALOM i.e sc> console. If the server is down or somehow hang How do i Restart from sc> //purple (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: thepurple
6 Replies

5. Solaris

unable to halt the zone

Hi Experts, I have to delete the non- global zone from one of the server. As per my understanding we need to halt the zone , then uninstall and later delete it with zoneadm however once I am trying to halt the zone the screen is getting hanged, after canceling the process and... (23 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumarmani
23 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script to force Oracle database shutdown when shutdown immediate does not work

I have Oracle 9i R2 on AIX 5.2. My Database is running in shared server mode (MTS). Sometimes when I shutdown the database it shutsdown cleanly in 4-5 mints and sometimes it takes good 15-20 minutes and then I get some ora-600 errors and only way to shutdown is by opening another session and... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: aixhp
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

SCO Open Server 6 - System Halt

========================================================= Errrr previously post: https://www.unix.com/sco/140055-sco-open-server-6-system-halt.html Then I think it's better to post here. If I wrong, please ignore. ========================================================= Dear All, Newbie... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: virgani
1 Replies

8. Linux

Delay gnome shutdown/restart

Hi to all. My first message here, but i following you via twitter feed from many time... The question: I need to delay 5-10 seconds the shutdown command executed when the user click on the power off/reboot in their session or at login screen. I need that because i have in the background a... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: mendez
18 Replies

9. Solaris

Solaris paging bringing system to halt

Hi experts, I am running a solaris 10 with oracle 10 on a system with 96 GB physical memory. the system has a lot of swap space. the oracle SGA is 50 GB and PGA 40 GB. Here are the stats vmstat -i interrupt total rate -------------------------------- clock ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: afadaghi
5 Replies
SULOGIN(8)						       System Administration							SULOGIN(8)

NAME
sulogin - Single-user login SYNOPSIS
sulogin [options] [tty] DESCRIPTION
sulogin is invoked by init when the system goes into single user mode. The user is prompted: Give root password for system maintenance (or type Control-D for normal startup): sulogin will be connected to the current terminal, or to the optional tty device that can be specified on the command line (typically /dev/console). After the user exits the single-user shell or presses control-D at the prompt, the system will continue to boot. OPTIONS
-e, --force If the default method of obtaining the root password via getpwnam(3) from the system fails, manually examine /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow to get the password. If they are damaged or nonexistent, sulogin will start a root shell without asking for a password. Only use the -e option if you are sure the console is physically protected against unauthorized access. -p, --login-shell Specifying this option causes sulogin to start the shell process as a login shell. -t, --timeout seconds Specify the maximum amount of time to wait for user input. By default, sulogin will wait forever. -h, --help Print a help message. -V, --version Output version. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
sulogin looks for the environment variable SUSHELL or sushell to determine what shell to start. If the environment variable is not set, it will try to execute root's shell from /etc/passwd. If that fails it will fall back to /bin/sh. AUTHOR
sulogin was written by Miquel van Smoorenburg for sysvinit and later ported to util-linux by Dave Reisner and Karel Zak. AVAILABILITY
The sulogin command is part of the util-linux package and is available from Linux Kernel Archive <ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils /util-linux/>. util-linux Jul 2012 SULOGIN(8)