Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Problem in loops in shell scripting Post 302459854 by Tytalus on Tuesday 5th of October 2010 01:17:39 PM
Old 10-05-2010
something like:

Code:
#  cat var.ksh 
#!/bin/ksh

v=""
for i in 1 2 3 4 5 
        do
                v="THerrFile_$i.err";
                echo $v
done

#  ./var.ksh 
THerrFile_1.err
THerrFile_2.err
THerrFile_3.err
THerrFile_4.err
THerrFile_5.err

should set you in right direction....HTH

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

scripting headache... loops & variables

Surely there's an easier way to do this, lets see if anyone knows! I am new to scripting so go easy on me! I have the following script and at the moment it doesn't work and I believe the problem is that I am using a while loop within a while loop. When I run the script using sh -x I can see... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: StevePace
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell scripting problem

her i am trying to edit a database file which is actually a small file holding my friend's name and birthdays My Database DEEPAK 27/08 DEEPIKA 18/02 DHYAN 23/03 DIPANKAR 24/10 SNIGDHO 19/05 AYANNAR 17/12 BHAI 22/09 DEBAN 16/08 JAGADISH 02/06 SUBHOJIT 23/02 TOJO 17/09 SUDHIR 12/09... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mobydick
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell scripting and ls -1 problem

Hey, I'm running knoppix and I'm trying to run a shell script to change multiple lines of text in multiple files #!/bin/sh for i in 'ls-1 test' do sed 's/bob/manny/'g $i > $i.0 mv $i.0 $i done Obviously this isn't the original file, but it's on another non-networked machine. What... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: afroCluster
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash scripting: using multiple 'for loops'??

Hey guys, I'm kinda a noob at scripting. I am trying to create a script that uses multiple for loops with the lsiutility to monitor disk health on a system. The script runs, but it will continually echo an infinite number of LogVolumes when there are only 2 per virtual disk on my server. It's... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tank126
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Scripting problem

Hi guys, I am a newbie to shell scripting.Please help me to accomplish this task. Its very urgent,I should create a script which will do the following: i) "cd ~joseph/ ; mkdir -p Bing/Bong ;mkdir -p Bing/Bang" and then create 15 ".txt" files with content "Bing Bang Bong" in "Bong"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mahesh_raghu
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Nested while loops (ksh scripting)

You can use one while inside another? I made the following script (without really knowing if I can use two while) to get 3 numbers different from each other at random: num1=$(( $RANDOM % 10 )) num2=$num1 while do num2=$(( $RANDOM % 10 )) done num3=$num1 while do while do... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ale.dle
1 Replies

7. Homework & Coursework Questions

Shell Scripting Problem...

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! Hello all,,, I am trying to finish my assignment for my CNET class. I am running into 2 problems... First the "Delete a file" (Option 1) When I run this option everything... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ozman911
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell scripting newbie problem

I am trying to create a shell script similar to ls, but which only lists directories. I have the first half working (no argument version), but trying to make it accept an argument, I am failing. My logic is sound I think, but I'm missing something on the syntax, I'm guessing in the bolded line? ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tibor63
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Scripting awk Problem

I'm limited in my skills related to *nix and I'm even more limited in my skills related to shell scripting and the use of awk. I have what should be a relatively simple shell script that looks in the /etc/fstab to see if a particular partition exists on the Linux system. The intention of this part... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DisabledVet
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell scripting problem

Hello. I hava homework for university but i cant do it and i need a little help if someone can help me :) I have to do a linux shell script. Write a script that does the following: 1. Check if there is a directory in / home with myDir name. If not, it creates it. 2. In the directory it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alex4o0o
1 Replies
CHECK_INT32_ADD(3)					   BSD Library Functions Manual 					CHECK_INT32_ADD(3)

NAME
check_int32_add, check_uint32_add, check_int64_add, check_uint64_add, check_int32_sub, check_uint32_sub, check_int64_sub, check_uint64_sub, check_int32_mul, check_uint32_mul, check_int64_mul, check_uint64_mul, check_int32_div, check_uint32_div, check_int64_div, check_uint64_div, -- detect overflow in arithmetic SYNOPSIS
#include <checkint.h> int32_t check_int32_add(int x, int y, int *err); uint32_t check_uint32_add(int x, int y, int *err); int64_t check_int64_add(int x, int y, int *err); uint64_t check_uint64_add(int x, int y, int *err); int32_t check_int32_sub(int x, int y, int *err); uint32_t check_uint32_sub(int x, int y, int *err); int64_t check_int64_sub(int x, int y, int *err); uint64_t check_uint64_sub(int x, int y, int *err); int32_t check_int32_mul(int x, int y, int *err); uint32_t check_uint32_mul(int x, int y, int *err); int64_t check_int64_mul(int x, int y, int *err); uint64_t check_uint64_mul(int x, int y, int *err); int32_t check_int32_div(int x, int y, int *err); uint32_t check_uint32_div(int x, int y, int *err); int64_t check_int64_div(int x, int y, int *err); uint64_t check_uint64_div(int x, int y, int *err); DESCRIPTION
The check_<type>_<operation>(x, y, err) family of functions perform the specified arithmetic operation (addition, subtraction, multiplica- tion, or division) with the left operand of x and right operand of y and return the arithmetic result with the specified type. Either operand x or y (or both) can be of any type that is compatible to signed or unsigned 8-bit, 16-bit, 32-bit, or 64-bit integers. The err argument is or'ed by flags in the function to indicate if an overflow has occurred. The possible flag values are: CHECKINT_NO_ERROR no overflow has occurred CHECKINT_OVERFLOW_ERROR overflow has occurred CHECKINT_TYPE_ERROR operand is of an incompatible type The err argument is not cleared in calls to the check_<type>_<operation>(x, y, err) functions. Detected overflow persists in the err argu- ment until err is reset to CHECKINT_NO_ERROR. RETURN VALUES
If successful, the check_<type>_<operation>() functions will return the arithmetic result of performing the operation with left operand x and right operand y (even when overflow error occurs). If any other error occurs, the return value is -1 and the argument err will be set to indicate the error. EXAMPLES
/* Create a variable to store overflow flag */ int32_t err = CHECKINT_NO_ERROR; /* Use checkint API to perform an arithmetic operation and * store result in variable. */ int32_t arithmetic_result = check_int32_add(UINT_MAX, 1, &err); /* Check status of overflow flag */ if (err & CHECKINT_OVERFLOW_ERROR) { /* Perform overflow resolution code */ fprintf(stderr, "Overflow detected! "); } /* Check for type error */ else if (err & CHECKINT_TYPE_ERROR) { /* Deal with incompatible types error */ fprintf(stderr, "Incompatible types! "); } /* Reset overflow flag for next operation */ err = CHECKINT_NO_ERROR; ERRORS
The check_<type>_<operation>() functions may fail if: [CHECKINT_TYPE_ERROR] operand is of an incompatible type HISTORY
The checkint() API was introduced in Mac OS X 10.5. BSD
April 20, 2007 BSD