Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Getting filenames from a directory in single line Post 302459502 by Raamc on Monday 4th of October 2010 09:38:17 PM
Old 10-04-2010
Hi Agama,

Thank you very much, that worked.

I need one more small clue, I got the output like this
/home/RAAM/work/test1.xls /home/RAAM/work/test2.xls

I need to get only filenames with out directory structure, can you please help.

Thank you very much for quick response.

--Thanks,
--Raam.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

looping thru filenames in a directory

Hi, i am very new to UNIX, i am trying to loop thru the files in a directory. I got the filenames into a variable using $files=`ls` Here $files will contain <filename1> <filename2> <filename3> I want to get one filename at a time and append it to some some text. forexample, ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: silas.john
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

concatenating the filenames in a directory

hi all, I have a requirement where in i have to read all the filenames based on a pattern from a directory and concatenate all these file names and write it to another file. i am using the following code to do this var1='' for filename in $_DIR/${FILE_NAME}* do if if then... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: nvuradi
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change all filenames in a directory

I have a directory of files and each file has a random 5 digit string at the beginning that needs to be removed. Plus, there are some files that will be identically named after the 5 digit string is removed and I want those eliminated or moved. any ideas? (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: crumb
17 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use filenames to create directory.

I have many files similar to this one: AC41_AC85_86_AC128_129_MC171_173_SF_207_FMV.pdf. I want a directory named AC41 and to put the file AC41_AC85_86_AC128_129_MC171_173_SF_207_FMV.pdf into the directory. Next, a directory named AC85 and put the file into it. Also, continue to cycle through... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ndnkyd
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Filenames change in a directory

Hi I have abc_ahb_one.v abc_ahb_two.v abc_ahb_three.v ........l like this -----upto abc_ahb_ninety.v in some directory. I need to change those file names to like below. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: praneethk
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

for $word in $line returns filenames in the current directory unexpectedly

I am writing a script below, which has 2 loops. The outer one reads file sufffixed with a number and inner inside which loop through each line of the file and display each space delimited string. However, i find that the string printed out in the inner loop includes not only the delimited string in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: martie
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple lines in a single column to be merged as a single line for a record

Hi, I have a requirement with, No~Dt~Notes 1~2011/08/1~"aaa bbb ccc ddd eee fff ggg hhh" Single column alone got splitted into multiple lines. I require the output as No~Dt~Notes 1~2011/08/1~"aaa<>bbb<>ccc<>ddd<>eee<>fff<>ggg<>hhh" mean to say those new lines to be... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Bhuvaneswari
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change to directory and search some file in that directory in single command

I am trying to do the following task : export ENV=aaa export ENV_PATH=$(cd /apps | ls | grep $ENV) However, it's not working. What's the way to change to directory and search some file in that directory in single command Please help. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: saurau
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to take the filenames from a directory and store into a file??

hi, how can i take the file names from a directory and store only the filenames in the file. suppose i have a directory which contains the following files and subdirectories. $ ls -ltr total 16 -rw-rw-r-- 1 adm etc 4 Aug 6 20:37 s1.txt -rw-rw-r-- 1 adm etc 4 Aug 6 20:37 s2.txt... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Little
11 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Printing filenames in my current directory

Can someone give me a tip on writing a script that, for each file in the working directory, prints the filename, the # of lines, and the # of words to stdout? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: flash123
2 Replies
PAM_CHROOT(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 					     PAM_CHROOT(8)

NAME
pam_chroot -- Chroot PAM module SYNOPSIS
[service-name] module-type control-flag pam_chroot [arguments] DESCRIPTION
The chroot service module for PAM chroots users into either a predetermined directory or one derived from their home directory. If a user's home directory as specified in the passwd structure returned by getpwnam(3) contains the string ``/./'', the portion of the directory name to the left of that string is used as the chroot directory, and the portion to the right will be the current working directory inside the chroot tree. Otherwise, the directories specified by the dir and cwd options (see below) are used. also_root Do not hold user ID 0 exempt from the chroot requirement. always Report a failure if a chroot directory could not be derived from the user's home directory, and the dir option was not specified. cwd=directory Specify the directory to chdir(2) into after a successful chroot(2) call. dir=directory Specify the chroot directory to use if one could not be derived from the user's home directory. SEE ALSO
pam.conf(5), pam(8) AUTHORS
The pam_chroot module and this manual page were developed for the FreeBSD Project by ThinkSec AS and NAI Labs, the Security Research Division of Network Associates, Inc. under DARPA/SPAWAR contract N66001-01-C-8035 (``CBOSS''), as part of the DARPA CHATS research program. BSD
February 10, 2003 BSD