Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Using zsh
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Using zsh Post 302457187 by Neo on Monday 27th of September 2010 01:07:27 PM
Old 09-27-2010
Yes, open a new term window (or whatever you have) and type your alias "z" and be done with it, LOL. Exit when you want to go back to the login shell, and type your "z" alias when you want to go back there, as scottn suggested.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

tutorials about zsh

hi there I'm looking for tutorials about zsh (beginners to experts) can you give me addresses please? thx a lot (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: SpY974
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Z-shell (zsh)

Z-shell (zsh) anyone use it and how do ya like it? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Bodhi
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

question about zsh

hi, In bash, $ bind -P | grep yank-last yank-last-arg can be found on "\M-.", "\M-_". this allows me to press ALT key and the period (.) to yank the last argument of the previous command line into the current command line. How can I get the same behavior in zsh ? Thanks ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Andrewkl
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using wildcards in variables in zsh

Probably a stupid question... how do I use a wildcard in a variable in zsh? If I do: var=* echo $var in bash, it will print all files/directories in the current directory. If I do it in zsh, it will only output an asterisk without the wildcard functionality. Thanks in advance! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: RainbowLAr
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to find the value of a variable in zsh?

I have a zsh script written by someone else, I am trying to modify it to work on slightly different data -problem is I know nothing about shell scripting. I am trying to muddle through this myself since I need to learn but can someone tell me how to debug a script? ie. I want to display the value... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmp260
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Default editor in zsh

Guys, Can somebody help in setting vi as the default editor in zsh shell. I know that in ksh and bourne we can achieve the setting through .profile file. I want to replicate the behavior of ksh in zsh where on command prompt when one presses escape the screen acts as a vi. And one can use all... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yabhi_22
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

zsh and host completion

Hi there is there a way i can add to my .zshrc so that when i type rsh <tab> it takes the name for a list of hosts i know it looks in .ssh/know_hosts but i want it for rsh and for a list that i supply thanks A (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ab52
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ZSH Colors on AIX7

I'd put together a zshrc for use on Linux & AIX 5/6 at another shop that worked fine, but when I tried to put it on here it messes up the colors for some reason I can't understand. I used Phil's ZSH prompt for starters, and everything worked before, and still does on Linux, but isn't working on... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vryali
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can I do this without eval? (zsh)

I have in one shell variable, op, a string which represents a "test operator" in a ] construct, for instance -d or -n or -s, an in another shell variable, arg, some arbitrary string. What I want to achieve, is basically this: #This is INCORRECT code. I just want to get you the idea, what I'm... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: rovf
7 Replies
RESIZE(1)                                                     General Commands Manual                                                    RESIZE(1)

NAME
resize - set environment and terminal settings to current xterm window size SYNOPSIS
resize [ -u | -c ] [ -s [ row col ] ] DESCRIPTION
Resize prints a shell command for setting the appropriate environment variables to indicate the current size of xterm window from which the command is run. For this output to take effect, resize must either be evaluated as part of the command line (usually done with a shell alias or function) or else redirected to a file which can then be read in. From the C shell (usually known as /bin/csh), the following alias could be defined in the user's .cshrc: % alias rs 'set noglob; eval `resize`' After resizing the window, the user would type: % rs Users of versions of the Bourne shell (usually known as /bin/sh) that don't have command functions will need to send the output to a tempo- rary file and then read it back in with the "." command: $ resize > /tmp/out $ . /tmp/out Resize determines the user's current shell by first checking if $SHELL is set, and using that. Otherwise it determines the user's shell by looking in the password file. Generally Bourne-shell variants (including ksh) do not modify $SHELL, so it is possible for resize to be confused if one runs resize from a Bourne shell spawned from a C shell. OPTIONS
The following options may be used with resize: -u This option indicates that Bourne shell commands should be generated even if the user's current shell isn't /bin/sh. -c This option indicates that C shell commands should be generated even if the user's current shell isn't /bin/csh. -s [rows columns] This option indicates that Sun console escape sequences will be used instead of the VT100-style xterm escape codes. If rows and columns are given, resize will ask the xterm to resize itself. However, the window manager may choose to disallow the change. Note that the Sun console escape sequences are recognized by XFree86 xterm and by dtterm. The resize program may be installed as sunsize, which causes makes it assume the -s option. The rows and columns arguments must appear last; though they are normally associated with the -s option, they are parsed separately. FILES
/etc/termcap for the base termcap entry to modify. ~/.cshrc user's alias for the command. ENVIRONMENT
TERM set to "xterm" if not already set. TERMCAP variable set on systems using termcap COLUMNS, LINES variables set on systems using terminfo SEE ALSO
csh(1), tset(1), xterm(1) AUTHORS
Mark Vandevoorde (MIT-Athena), Edward Moy (Berkeley) Copyright (c) 1984, 1985 by X Consortium See X(7) for a complete copyright notice. X Window System RESIZE(1)