Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Help in formating a txt file
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help in formating a txt file Post 302455530 by bha148 on Wednesday 22nd of September 2010 12:17:30 AM
Old 09-22-2010
hi thanks again.
Pls do me one more favour.

Pls help in getting the output with seperator like below.

name: priya: hi: how: r: u:
name2: priya2: hi1: how1: r1:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Binary txt file received when i use uuencode to send txt file as attachment

Hi, I have already read a lot of posts on sending attachments in unix...but none of them were of help for my problem...so here goes.. i wanna attach a text file and send to a mail id..used the following code : uuencode "$File1" "$File1" ;|mail -s "$Mail_sub" abc@abc.com it works... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ash22
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

command to list .txt and .TXT file

Hi expersts, in my directory i have *.txt and *.TXT and *.TXT.log, *.txt.log I want list only .txt and .TXT files in one command... how to ?? //purple (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thepurple
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

File formating help needed.

I have a file called vm.cfg . content of file. acpi = 1 apic = 1 builder = 'hvm' How would i write a script which will add boot = 'd' at 3rd line. For example. after running the script the file should be like below. acpi = 1 apic = 1 boot = 'd' builder = 'hvm' I dont want to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinga123
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help in formating the txt file based on word match

Hi pls help in processing this file based on text id match if id not matches then column to be filled with "null" Input: Name priya 2010-09-21 10:43:49 TEXT ID 1 hi TEXT ID 2 how TEXT ID 3 r TEXT ID 4 u Name2 priya2 2010-09-21 10:43:49 TEXT ID 1 hi1 TEXT ID 2 how1... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bha148
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk append fileA.txt to growing file B.txt

This is appending a column. My question is fairly simple. I have a program generating data in a form like so: 1 20 2 22 3 23 4 12 5 43 For ever iteration I'm generating this data. I have the basic idea with cut -f 2 fileA.txt | paste -d >> FileB.txt ???? I want FileB.txt to grow, and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: theawknewbie
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to append the date | abcddate.txt to the first line of my txt file

I want to add/append the info in the following format to my.txt file. 20130702|abcd20130702.txt FN|SN|DOB I tried the below script but it throws me some exceptions. <#!/bin/sh dt = date '+%y%m%d'members; echo $dt+|+members+$dt; /usr/bin/awk -f BEGIN { FS="|"; OFS="|"; } { print... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: harik1982
6 Replies

7. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

2 Questions: replace text in txt file, add text to end of txt file

so... Lets assume I have a text file. The text file contains multiple "#" symbols. I want to replace all thos "#"s with a STRING using DOS/Batch I want to add a certain TEXT to the end of each line. How can I do this WITHOUT aid of sed, grep or anything linux related ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pasc
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Desired output.txt for reading txt file using awk?

Dear all, I have a huge txt file (DATA.txt) with the following content . From this txt file, I want the following output using some shell script. Any help is greatly appreciated. Greetings, emily DATA.txt (snippet of the huge text file) 407202849... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: emily
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

File formating help

Hi all, I am having the file below I need that as below Thanks, Arun (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunkumar_mca
12 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

File formating

I need to create a fixed width file based on the column lengths. lets assume I have six(this may be dynamic) fields each are of different length column1=6 #size of the column column2=3 column3=2 column4=3 column5=4 column6=5 I tried below code snippet but it is not working echo... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gvkumar25
4 Replies
symlink(2)							System Calls Manual							symlink(2)

Name
       symlink - make symbolic link to a file

Syntax
       symlink(name1, name2)
       char *name1, *name2;

Description
       A  symbolic link name2 is created to name1 (name2 is the name of the file created, name1 is the string used in creating the symbolic link).
       Either name can be an arbitrary path name.  The files need not be on the same file system.

Return Values
       Upon successful completion, a zero (0) value is returned.  If an error occurs, the error code is  stored  in  errno,  and  a  -1  value	is
       returned.

Diagnostics
       The symbolic link is made, unless one or more of the following are true:

[ENOTDIR]      A component of the name2 prefix is not a directory.

[EEXIST]       The name2 already exists.

[EACCES]       A component of the name2 path prefix denies search permission.

[EROFS]	      The file name2 would reside on a read-only file system.

[EFAULT]       The name1 or name2 points outside the process's allocated address space.

[ELOOP]	      Too many symbolic links were encountered in translating the pathname.

[ENAMETOOLONG] A  component of either pathname exceeded MAXNAMELEN characters, or the entire length of either pathname exceeded MAXPATHNAME
		      characters.

[ENOENT]       The named file does not exist.

[EIO]	      An I/O error occurred while making the directory entry for name2, or allocating the inode for name2, or writing out the link
		      contents of name2.

[ENOSPC]       The  directory  in  which  the entry for the new symbolic link is being placed cannot be extended, because there is no space
		      left on the file system containing the directory.

[ENOSPC]       The new symbolic link cannot be created, because there is no space left on the file system that will  contain  the  symbolic
		      link.

[ENOSPC]       There are no free inodes on the file system on which the symbolic link is being created.

[EDQUOT]       The  directory  in  which the entry for the new symbolic link is being placed cannot be extended because the user's quota of
		      disk blocks on the file system containing the directory has been exhausted.

[EDQUOT]       The new symbolic link cannot be created because the user's quota of disk blocks on the file system  that	will  contain  the
		      symbolic link has been exhausted.

[EDQUOT]       The user's quota of inodes on the file system on which the user's symbolic link is being created has been exhausted.

[EIO]	      An I/O error occurred while making the directory entry or allocating the inode.

[ETIMEDOUT]    A  connect  request  or remote file operation failed, because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of
		      time that is dependent on the communications protocol.

See Also
       ln(1), link(2), readlink(2), stat(2), unlink(2)

symlink(2)