Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: ping OK - telnet refused
Operating Systems AIX ping OK - telnet refused Post 302454799 by frajer on Monday 20th of September 2010 03:47:13 AM
Old 09-20-2010
Yes, it was something like that. This is how it looked like the file /etc/inetd.conf:
Quote:
shell tcp
login tcp
kshell tcp
klogin tcp
As I'd restored it from other server and restarted inetd , telnet and rlogin worked.
Thx.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

ping and telnet

I can ping other computers in my office. I can telnet other users in my office but i cannot get out of the office network. If i try to go out side of my network it cannot find host. Any ideas? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: macdonto
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

telnet refused / reverse DNS issue?

I have users with laptops who may telnet from the local network one minute and then connect remotely a short time later from a different IP address. This causes a problem as the UnixWare 7.1.1 server appears to try to resolve the remote machine name (via our primary DNS server) to the IP... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rm -r *
4 Replies

3. AIX

Ping/Telnet is not happening

Hi All, We are not able to ping to a AIX box...Network is ok..when we give ping from that AIX box..it is giving 0821-067 ping: The socket creation call failed.there is no enough buffer space for the requested socket operation. refresh -s inetd is also giving socket error. Please help to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: b_manu78
1 Replies

4. SCO

telnet connection refused

I installed Openserver 5.0.7 and I cannot telnet to the localhost and I can't telnet from my old SCO 3.2.42 to the new SCO machine but I can ping the new machine and it will telnet to the old machine. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: printrick
2 Replies

5. IP Networking

can ping but can not telnet UNIX

I have one problem and it is giving me hard time I can ping my windows machine root@x1ChXpress:/sbin >ping 192.168.129.66 192.168.129.66 is alive root@x1ChXpress:/sbin >netstat -rn Routing Table: Destination Gateway Flags Ref Use Interface... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: amon
3 Replies

6. Infrastructure Monitoring

no telnet, ping ok...

We have a Sun Solaris Netra 20 server. Our O&M Server gets Alarm Processor not responding. When Alarm occurs, you can ping the sun server but cannot telnet it. We keep getting Interrupt level not serviced. var/adm/message log is > tail -f messages Apr 12 20:09:56 cama pcisch: PCI-device:... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: krabu
9 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

ping and telnet - HP-UX

Hi all, I am not sure if my problem is specific to HP-UX or not. Hopefully someone can tell me what's wrong. I have a server name server1 10.100.50.10 in the /etc/hosts file and if I do a ping server1, it shows the right IP address. However, if I run telnet server1, it is not using... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ping,telnet, traceroute

can you provide the command in solaris8 if I wanted to ping,telnet, traceroute an IP address with a port? thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lhareigh890
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

ping and telnet timeout

Hello, I need help, I have the following which save in the result file ping and telnet:port test. Basically the script works but I should implement a check on ping and telnet command so that ping has 5 seconds threshold and telnet (more important) 10 seconds. Over that threshold ping and... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: marmellata
0 Replies

10. Linux

Telnet Connection refused error

Hi all, i got stuck with telnet issue, I am not able to telnet on 4001 port it show connection refused. with default port it will open # telnet 127.0.0.1 Trying 127.0.0.1... Connected to 127.0.0.1. Escape character is '^]'. Fedora release 14 (Laughlin) Kernel 2.6.35.6-45.fc14.i686 on... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: muzaffar.k
1 Replies
nstrtel(5)							File Formats Manual							nstrtel(5)

NAME
nstrtel - specifies the number of telnet device files the kernel can support for incoming telnet sessions VALUES
Failsafe Default Allowed values (Subject to available physical memory.) It is best to use the default value, and there should not be any need to lower it. However, if the simultaneous telnet connection load is very high, then the value of could be increased. Recommended values (Default value.) DESCRIPTION
The telnet daemon uses two STREAMS-based pseudo-terminal drivers and The kernel parameter, can be used to tune the number of pseudo-termi- nals. specifies the number of kernel data structures that are created at system boot time that are required to support the device files used by incoming telnet sessions on a server. If the command or SAM is used to create more telnet device files, the value of must be increased accordingly or the device files cannot be used because there are no kernel data structures available for communicating with the system. Who Is Expected to Change This Tunable? Anyone. Restrictions on Changing Changes to this tunable take effect at the next reboot. When Should the Value of This Tunable Be Raised? When there is an increase in the load of telnet connections and there are no device files available to open telnet connections, then this kernel parameter should be increased. When the error is encountered, then the device files have been exhausted and should be raised. Once the value of is raised, should be run to create new device files. (If SAM is used to raise the value of is run automatically.) What Are the Side Effects of Raising the Value of This Tunable? More resources would be consumed. Extra kernel data structures, and extra device files may clog the system. When Should the Value of This Tunable Be Lowered? It is not advisable to lower the tunable value from the default value. Consult HP Support before lowering this tunable from the default value. What Are the Side Effects of Lowering the Value of This Tunable? Though not recommended, there would not be any side effects. What Other Tunables Should Be Changed at the Same Time? None. WARNINGS
All HP-UX kernel tunable parameters are release specific. This parameter may be removed or have its meaning changed in future releases of HP-UX. Installation of optional kernel software, from HP or other vendors, may cause changes to tunable parameter values. After installation, some tunable parameters may no longer be at the default or recommended values. For information about the effects of installation on tun- able values, consult the documentation for the kernel software being installed. For information about optional kernel software that was factory installed on your system, see at AUTHOR
was developed by HP. SEE ALSO
insf(1M), telnetd(1M), telm(7), tels(7). Tunable Kernel Parameters nstrtel(5)