Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Unix command line question
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Unix command line question Post 302454326 by Judo_Bear on Friday 17th of September 2010 03:38:07 PM
Old 09-17-2010
Unix command line question

I'm new to Unix and I'm looking for some assistance. We have 20 different accounts we must login to every day. Logging in has become quite the chore and most nights, we have to log out. I'm looking for a way to simply copy and paste the commands into each window to make things easier.
I have been using the following to log in every time: different 20 different accounts across three servers.

Code:
$ su - account
Password
$cd /home/i5/i5.4/release/account
$. ./profile.ksh
whoami: not found
$. ./profile.ksh
$bash
$PS1='Account1:'
Account1:

I am trying to combine these all on one line. That way I just copy and paste the entire line to save time. When I do however, my prompt does not change.
Code:
$cd /home/i5/i5.4/release/account; . ./profile.ksh; . ./profile.ksh; bash; PS1='Account1:'
bash$

I'm not even certain the second ././profile ran, although I'm pretty sure it did. What did not run though is the change of my prompt. Would someone help so I can only copy and paste one line to have all of the commands run? If there is an easier way to automate this, please let me know.

Last edited by Scott; 09-17-2010 at 05:03 PM.. Reason: Added CODE tags, removed formatting

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix command question

I recently went in for a job interview and the guy asked me what I knew about Unix. I told him not much since I haven't worked with it in a few years. He then asked me the following question: What Unix or Linux shell command will tell you the names of all files in the current directory, along... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: BMWBigD
2 Replies

2. Solaris

shutdown question from command line

solaris 10 logged in as root to command line...want to shut the system down....could not do this....when i chose shutdown the system seemed to squawk at me saying i'd lose whatever i was working on would be lost unless i logged out...after proceeding through this it took me to the gui log in... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: drisnya
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

assign a command line argument and a unix command to awk variables

Hi , I have a piece of code ...wherein I need to assign the following ... 1) A command line argument to a variable e.g origCount=ARGV 2) A unix command to a variable e.g result=`wc -l testFile.txt` in my awk shell script When I do this : print "origCount" origCount --> I get the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sweta_doshi
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

unix command : how to insert text at the cursor location via command line?

Hi, Well my title isn't very clear I think. So to understand my goal: I have a script "test1" #!/bin/bash xvkbd -text blabla with xbindkeys, I bind F5 key in order it runs my test1 script So when I press F5, test1 runs. I'm under Emacs/Vi and I press F5 in order to have "blabla" be... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: xib.be
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

New to Unix command line and have a question about the "sort" command

I am going through the Unix Made Easy second edition book by John Muster. So far it's been very informative and I can tell it may be a bit out of date. In one of the exercises it talks about the "sort" command and using it to sort column's of data etc. The "sort" command has changed a bit and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: budfoxcat
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Specify an entire UNIX command as a command line argument

I'm trying to write a bash script called YN that looks like the following YN "Specify a question" "doThis" "doThat" where "doThis" will be executed if the answer is "y", otherwise "doThat". For example YN "Do you want to list the file dog?" "ls -al dog" "" Here's my attempt... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: LeoKSimon
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX command question

Hi Guys, I am new on the scripting world and would like ask for help if you can. Here are my questions below:- What Unix command(s) would you put in a shell script to read an ASCII comma-delimited input file and validate that field 5 only contains numeric characters? What Unix command(s)... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mahiwaga
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Basic Linux command line question

:D:D:D These are list of command i typed on opensuse terminal and evolve lots of doubt around ,that i can't answer. COMMAND 1 linux-xavv:/ # cd COMMAND 2 linux-xavv:~ # Does above command 1 and command two with red labelled sign make different meaning or same . 1 linux-xavv:/... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lobsang
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Question on bash command line

OS : RHEL / Oracle Linux 6.8 In bash shell, how can I replace a character under the cursor with another character ? In the below example , after I typed the following line, I realized that I meant 7013 and not 2013. So I move the cursor to the left and keep it on top of 2 (of 2013) and I want... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kraljic
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

A question about Subversion and commit from the command line

Hey guys, so I want to start using the terminal when I do thinks like update, commit and whatnot. I am use to using kdesvn which is a GUI that helps me with subversion. However, kdesvn does not seem to play well on 18.04 and regardless I am trying to move away from GUI's in general. I want to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Circuits
1 Replies
sudo_root(8)						      System Manager's Manual						      sudo_root(8)

NAME
sudo_root - How to run administrative commands SYNOPSIS
sudo command sudo -i INTRODUCTION
By default, the password for the user "root" (the system administrator) is locked. This means you cannot login as root or use su. Instead, the installer will set up sudo to allow the user that is created during install to run all administrative commands. This means that in the terminal you can use sudo for commands that require root privileges. All programs in the menu will use a graphical sudo to prompt for a password. When sudo asks for a password, it needs your password, this means that a root password is not needed. To run a command which requires root privileges in a terminal, simply prepend sudo in front of it. To get an interactive root shell, use sudo -i. ALLOWING OTHER USERS TO RUN SUDO
By default, only the user who installed the system is permitted to run sudo. To add more administrators, i. e. users who can run sudo, you have to add these users to the group 'admin' by doing one of the following steps: * In a shell, do sudo adduser username admin * Use the graphical "Users & Groups" program in the "System settings" menu to add the new user to the admin group. BENEFITS OF USING SUDO
The benefits of leaving root disabled by default include the following: * Users do not have to remember an extra password, which they are likely to forget. * The installer is able to ask fewer questions. * It avoids the "I can do anything" interactive login by default - you will be prompted for a password before major changes can happen, which should make you think about the consequences of what you are doing. * Sudo adds a log entry of the command(s) run (in /var/log/auth.log). * Every attacker trying to brute-force their way into your box will know it has an account named root and will try that first. What they do not know is what the usernames of your other users are. * Allows easy transfer for admin rights, in a short term or long term period, by adding and removing users from the admin group, while not compromising the root account. * sudo can be set up with a much more fine-grained security policy. * On systems with more than one administrator using sudo avoids sharing a password amongst them. DOWNSIDES OF USING SUDO
Although for desktops the benefits of using sudo are great, there are possible issues which need to be noted: * Redirecting the output of commands run with sudo can be confusing at first. For instance consider sudo ls > /root/somefile will not work since it is the shell that tries to write to that file. You can use ls | sudo tee /root/somefile to get the behaviour you want. * In a lot of office environments the ONLY local user on a system is root. All other users are imported using NSS techniques such as nss-ldap. To setup a workstation, or fix it, in the case of a network failure where nss-ldap is broken, root is required. This tends to leave the system unusable. An extra local user, or an enabled root password is needed here. GOING BACK TO A TRADITIONAL ROOT ACCOUNT
This is not recommended! To enable the root account (i.e. set a password) use: sudo passwd root Afterwards, edit the sudo configuration with sudo visudo and comment out the line %admin ALL=(ALL) ALL to disable sudo access to members of the admin group. SEE ALSO
sudo(8), https://wiki.ubuntu.com/RootSudo February 8, 2006 sudo_root(8)