Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: -exec cmd in ksh script
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting -exec cmd in ksh script Post 302453773 by Tanuka on Thursday 16th of September 2010 10:57:21 AM
Old 09-16-2010
-exec cmd in ksh script

Hi,

I discovered the following single-line script works very well to cp a large number of files from a source directory to a destination directory while avoiding the "argument list too large" error:

Code:
# cpmany - copy large number of files
# Takes two parameters - source dir, destination dir
# Copies ALL regular files from source dir to destination dir
# Does not traverse subdirectories in source
# Does not cp hidden files
#
find $1 -maxdepth 1 -type f -name '*' -exec cp -v {} $2 \;

I'm not fluent in the ksh, so I'm hoping someone who is can explain in detail the operation of this script.

1. Since the result of the find cmd is a list of filenames, does the "-exec" command actually spawn a new process for every filename in the list in order to do the cp? Is it a case of spawning a new ksh and then overlaying that new ksh with cp to do the copy of a file in the list?

2. If you remove the single quotes from the *, you get the "argument list too large" error. Exactly why is this?

3. Obviously, the "{}" that follows the cp command means 'use a name from the list' produced by "find". Where can I find more on this construct? It's pretty cool!

4. Why is a final "\" needed at the end of the line, just before the ";"?

5. I've tried running this thing dirrectly from the ksh command prompt (rather than as a script) but I get "missing argument to exec". Why?

6. I've looked and looked for detailed information on the exec cmd in ksh, and what I've found is so limited that I came here to get answers. Is there a difference between "exec" and "-exec" in this context?

Thanks in advance for your help. I hate 'black boxes' even if they work very well.

Last edited by Scott; 09-16-2010 at 05:06 PM.. Reason: Please use code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

man <cmd> >> cmd.txt

I've noticed most of my postings here are because of syntax errors. So I want to begin compiling a large txt file that contains all the "man <cmd>" of the commands I most have problems with. I ran a "man nawk >> nawk.txt" but it included a header/footer on each "page". Anyone know how I'd be... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: yongho
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can I execute own ksh function in find -exec

Hi, I wrote a smiple ksh function send_notification() { ... } and want to execute it on each file, matched by the find command. I tried: find / -name "*.err" -mtime -8 -exec send_notification {} \; but it doesn't work. What should I do? I work in ksh on Hp-Ux. Regards, Pit (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: piooooter
11 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

import var and function from ksh script to another ksh script

Ih all, i have multiples ksh scripts for crontab's unix jobs they all have same variables declarations and some similar functions i would have a only single script file to declare my variables, like: var1= "aaa" var2= "bbb" var3= "ccc" ... function ab { ...} function bc { ... }... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wolfhurt
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh: cmd output to input of another script

I want to write a script in KSH that takes the output of one command and redisplays it. Something like: while true do read inpt date +"%I:%M:%S %p <-> $inpt" done and then some how get the output of the ping command to redirect to the input of this script. does that make sense? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: IMTheNachoMan
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

KSH script to run other ksh scripts and output it to a file and/or email

Hi I am new to this Scripting process and would like to know How can i write a ksh script that will call other ksh scripts and write the output to a file and/or email. For example ------- Script ABC ------- a.ksh b.ksh c.ksh I need to call all three scripts execute them and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pacifican
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix cmd prompt how to get old cmd run?

Hi, I am using SunOS I want to serch my previous command from unix prompt (like on AIX we can search by ESC -k) how to get in SunOs urgent help require. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: RahulJoshi
10 Replies

7. Red Hat

setup sudo for cmd exec w/o password

i need to set up a user to execute a restricted command as another user and to be able to do so without entering a password. I understand the security concerns but let's not go there, unless you are really compelled to do so... The directive to permit is that I believe should work and did add to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: twk
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

exit status from ksh script exec from java using runtime

how do i get the exit status from a ksh or perl script executed in a java program using Runtime? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: twk
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run few perl script in CMD using script

Hi, I have few PERL script which I have to run in CMD. I want to create a new script which will take care of running all these scripts in CMD.:confused: can any one suggest which script will be appropriate to solve my problem. Thanks in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: arup1980
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script Variables Inquiry, Values Okay in Standalone Exec, No-Show in Cron Exec

I have the following bash script lines in a file named test.sh. #!/bin/bash # # Write Date to cron.log # echo "Begin SSI Load $(date +%d%b%y_%T)" # # Get the latest rates file for processing. # d=$(ls -tr /rms/data/ssi | grep -v "processed" | tail -n 1) filename=$d export filename... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ginowms
3 Replies
exec(1) 							   User Commands							   exec(1)

NAME
exec, eval, source - shell built-in functions to execute other commands SYNOPSIS
sh exec [argument...] eval [argument...] csh exec command eval argument... source [-h] name ksh *exec [arg...] *eval [arg...] DESCRIPTION
sh The exec command specified by the arguments is executed in place of this shell without creating a new process. Input/output arguments may appear and, if no other arguments are given, cause the shell input/output to be modified. The arguments to the eval built-in are read as input to the shell and the resulting command(s) executed. csh exec executes command in place of the current shell, which terminates. eval reads its arguments as input to the shell and executes the resulting command(s). This is usually used to execute commands generated as the result of command or variable substitution. source reads commands from name. source commands may be nested, but if they are nested too deeply the shell may run out of file descrip- tors. An error in a sourced file at any level terminates all nested source commands. -h Place commands from the file name on the history list without executing them. ksh With the exec built-in, if arg is given, the command specified by the arguments is executed in place of this shell without creating a new process. Input/output arguments may appear and affect the current process. If no arguments are given the effect of this command is to mod- ify file descriptors as prescribed by the input/output redirection list. In this case, any file descriptor numbers greater than 2 that are opened with this mechanism are closed when invoking another program. The arguments to eval are read as input to the shell and the resulting command(s) executed. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. EXIT STATUS
For ksh: If command is not found, the exit status is 127. If command is found, but is not an executable utility, the exit status is 126. If a redi- rection error occurs, the shell exits with a value in the range 1-125. Otherwise, exec returns a zero exit status. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), ksh(1), sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 17 Jul 2002 exec(1)