Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Scripting advice needed
Operating Systems Linux Scripting advice needed Post 302452668 by Wiggins on Sunday 12th of September 2010 12:57:03 PM
Old 09-12-2010
Scripting advice needed

Evening all,

Im trying to get a script that will:
Select the most 3 recent files in a specific directory
Run a command on them (like chmod)
Ask of you would like to continue
Copy the files to another directory
If a linux guru could help me out, it would be very much appreciated.

Thanks for reading

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

programming advice needed....

i'm a grad student taking a UNIX course and a networks course (i have a background in C++ and JAVA). i'm trying to combine the two classes. My questions stems from a networks programming homework assignment below: "Using the operating system and language of your choice, develop a program to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: trostycp
5 Replies

2. Solaris

Using San storage - advice needed

Thinking of using our San for network backups.. Have a Netra 240 being installed and planning to get some space on our San. Do you know what software is used to access the San from my server or what I would need to do? I know how to connect to local storage, disk arrays etc but not sure what... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
1 Replies

3. Linux

GUI builder advice needed ......

Hello all, I need to develop an application that would be used as a simulator to test various custom algorithms. As I have never embarked on this kind of work, I need some advice: 1. Which GUI library to use in Linux, GTK+ or FLTK? The simulator application needs to output various... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fox_hound_33
2 Replies

4. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

LVM resizing advice needed

Hi I have a CentOS 5 server with LVM. / and /home are low on disk space. I have ~12Gb available on /usr I plan to resize /usr and add the available space to the other 2 partitions. Please advice me on any precautions I need to take. Any problem if you have faced doing similar stuff and... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: yunusyb
0 Replies

5. Programming

urgent advice needed - gcc

what does the statement : static char a = "a"; store in the executable image. ?? I need to make a command line parameter exist AFTER the program finishes execution.. so that when i run the code next time ( without recompiling ).. i can work with the paramter.. for example: ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: a.k.aFireknight
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

'for' loop advice needed ....!!

/usr/sbin/ifconfig -a | grep "inet" | grep -v "inet6" | grep -v "127.0.0.1" | grep -v "0.0.0.0"|grep -v "192.168.100.2" | awk '{print $2}' I use above command to get IP addresses on AIX boxes.Values coming here are set to a variable "Host IPs.IP Addresses" in my fingerprinting engine. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ak835
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

'for' loop advice needed....!!

Scenario: Command used to capture IPs on a host: /usr/sbin/ifconfig -a | grep "inet" | egrep -v "inet6|0.0.0.0|192.168.100.2" | awk '{print $2}' Following for loop used to capture interface names: for INTERFACE in `/usr/sbin/ifconfig -a | nawk '$1 ~ /:$/ && $1 {sub(":$", "", $1); print... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ak835
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX advice needed desperately :/

Firstly I do need to state that I am turning here as a last resort. Im in my first year of a Computer Networking and technical support course, and as a first year I must complete a Introductory Unix/Linux class. I have been doing well in the course so far however I have been stumped on the final... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: setaylor5
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Issue with ACL's (Help/Advice Needed)

Hi Experts,,, Need your help/advice on how to fix this I have 2 users under same group (primary group) and i want to give 777 permissions on a directory to one dir owned by user1 when granted i can see than from getfacl but when i actually login as user2 i can touch a file . ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: maddyfreaks1
3 Replies

10. Solaris

Solaris Study Advice Needed

I just have a question regarding learning Solaris, I have a Linux and AIX background and I would like to learn Solaris, I have been giving some Solaris 10 Study Guides and just wondered how relevant they would be to Solaris 11 or should I try and get some study materials which are targeted towards... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: markmorris182mx
1 Replies
sticky(5)						Standards, Environments, and Macros						 sticky(5)

NAME
sticky - mark files for special treatment DESCRIPTION
The sticky bit (file mode bit 01000, see chmod(2)) is used to indicate special treatment of certain files and directories. A directory for which the sticky bit is set restricts deletion of files it contains. A file in a sticky directory can only be removed or renamed by a user who has write permission on the directory, and either owns the file, owns the directory, has write permission on the file, or is a privi- leged user. Setting the sticky bit is useful for directories such as /tmp, which must be publicly writable but should deny users permission to arbitrarily delete or rename the files of others. If the sticky bit is set on a regular file and no execute bits are set, the system's page cache will not be used to hold the file's data. This bit is normally set on swap files of diskless clients so that accesses to these files do not flush more valuable data from the sys- tem's cache. Moreover, by default such files are treated as swap files, whose inode modification times may not necessarily be correctly recorded on permanent storage. Any user may create a sticky directory. See chmod for details about modifying file modes. SEE ALSO
chmod(1), chmod(2), chown(2), mkdir(2), rename(2), unlink(2) BUGS
The mkdir(2) function will not create a directory with the sticky bit set. SunOS 5.10 1 Aug 2002 sticky(5)