Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Minor (I hope!) Crisis - E450 will not power up Post 302452418 by Dr Lou on Friday 10th of September 2010 09:44:20 AM
Old 09-10-2010
Hergp, thanks for your response.

(By way of clarification: I do, of course, have the power supplies still in the machine - they're all reporting good. I had been removing the CPU DC power modules as part of the diagnostic).

This machine did finally restart - and least got to POST. And it did so - interestingly - with no CPUs, memory or DC power modules.

Then, after lots of vacuuming and re-seating of components one-by-one, it appeared that one DC power module may have been the culprit. Another re-seat, and restart, and it's been running ever since. Has anyone ever heard of an intermittent problem with a DC power module? Should we be worried?

Still don't know what took it down, but we do have some evidence of a late-night power spike, so, am hoping that was the cause...

(No, no power conditioning on this machine for the moment - it's a testbed, so we're not too concerned with its real-world reliability for the moment.)

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Raid A1000 with E450 and E250.

Hi, I'm facing problem in connecting a Raid A1000 to E250 and E450. ( Both machines with Solaris 2.6 OS and patched, with different scsi-initiator-ids - 7 & 3 ). BTW, I'm not using this setup to access raid data from both machines simultaneously. There is Veritas Cluster Server monitoring... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shibz
1 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Moving Sun A1000 between E450's

Does anyone know what steps I have to follow to move an A1000 between two E450's. Im running solaris 2.6 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: MBGPS
1 Replies

3. Solaris

Changing IPs on E450

Hi, I'm working with an E450 server and it has one network card configured with 2 local and internet IP addresses. Presently, the local IP is set as the primary address while teh Internet IP is set as the secondary address. I wish to change this and make the local IP secondary and the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ronny
2 Replies

4. Solaris

E450 CPU temperature 80 degree F

Hi all, We are getting CPU warning temeratures sometimes and our server is shutdown at 80 degree F. We notice our server room temperature at 18 degree celcius . Our we have already cleaned dust from grills near CPU Fan . CPU fans are working (moving) . It is our experience that CPU... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hitesh Shah
5 Replies

5. Solaris

Configure second NIC on Sun E450

I wanted to configure a second NIC card on a different IP on my Sun E450 server. Currently, I have hme0. when I ran the command : ifconfig hme1 <ip address> netmask <subnet mask> broadcast + up I got the following error message: ifconfig: SIOCGIFFLAGS: hme1: no such interface Any idea... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Remi
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

help : crisis situation !!

Hi I had deleted important files from my company server :( the server is HPUX and i don't know how to undo rm command or how to restore the files .. iam appreciate for any help Thanx ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Eisa
5 Replies

7. Solaris

Qlogic HBA card in E450 with errors

I have installed a qlogic HBA card in an E450 Solaris 9 with all the SUNW packages and the latest EPROM version. Configuration reboot was done. An orange light flashes to the right of where the card plugs into the fiber cable after booting, and the following error apprears at the start of the boot... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: floydm
9 Replies
power(9E)							Driver Entry Points							 power(9E)

NAME
power - power a device attached to the system SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/ddi.h> #include <sys/sunddi.h> int prefixpower(dev_info_t *dip, int component, int level); INTERFACE LEVEL
Solaris DDI specific (Solaris DDI). This entry point is required. If the driver writer does not supply this entry point, the value NULL must be used in the cb_ops(9S) structure instead. PARAMETERS
dip Pointer to the device's dev_info structure. component Component of the driver to be managed. level Desired component power level. DESCRIPTION
The power(9E) function is the device-specific Power Management entry point. This function is called when the system wants the driver to set the power level of component to level. The level argument is the driver-defined power level to which the component needs to be set. Except for power level 0, which is inter- preted by the framework to mean "powered off," the interpretation of level is entirely up to the driver. The component argument is the component of the device to be power-managed. The interpretation of component is entirely up to the driver. When a requested power transition would cause the device to lose state, the driver must save the state of the device in memory. When a requested power transition requires state to be restored, the driver must restore that state. If a requested power transition for one component requires another component to change power state before it can be completed, the driver must call pm_raise_power(9F) to get the other component changed, and the power(9E) entry point must support being re-entered. If the system requests an inappropriate power transition for the device (for example, a request to power down a device which has just become busy), then the power level should not be changed and power should return DDI_FAILURE. RETURN VALUES
The power() function returns: DDI_SUCCESS Successfully set the power to the requested level. DDI_FAILURE Failed to set the power to the requested level. CONTEXT
The power() function is called from user or kernel context only. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
attach(9E), detach(9E), pm_busy_component(9F), pm_idle_component(9F), pm_raise_power(9F), cb_ops(9S) Writing Device Drivers Using Power Management SunOS 5.10 12 Dec 2003 power(9E)