Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Issue with Error handling,not able to continue the script further Post 302452284 by Corona688 on Thursday 9th of September 2010 08:56:13 PM
Old 09-09-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by nss280
If the file is not found in the directory then the code fails on find and errors out.
Considering that this script prints:
Code:
#!/bin/sh

false
false
false
false
false
echo asdf

...I don't think your script is merely "erroring out", I think you have a syntax error, or the logic causes it to exit. Could you post your entire script? What shell are you using?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Error Handling on Script

Hi, I need your guys help again. I run a script which check for some process status in a loop. when i check the process some of the process could throw an error, how can i check that inside my script. Thanks, RR (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rrb2009
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error for "continue" keyword in Linux script.

Hi All I have a function in a linux script like this clean_up() { db2 -x "UPDATE ${DB_SCHEMA_NAME}.ETL_DAILY SET ETL_STATUS = 'SUCCESSFUL' WHERE PROCESS_DATE = '${INT_RUN_DATE}' AND BATCH_NO = ${CM_BATCH} AND APP_ID = ${APP_ID} AND APP_VERSION = '${APP_VERSION}'" > ${TMPOUT} ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vee_789
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expect Script Error Handling

Good Day Everyone, I was hoping to get a little insight into an expect script that I've written. Basically we have this expect script to perform an sftp upload, key authentication is not an option, and sftp is the only method supported by our vendor, thus the need for this. I want to be... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: thaller
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help me add Error Handling to my script

Hi all, I have some sections of a script that I am trying to add error handling to. Basically if it returns any error, just continue. This is for a deployment script that i am writing to assist in the deployment of scripts out to other systems. At the top of my KSH script i added this... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nitrobass24
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

error situation handling when starting app from a script

Hi, in my bash script I start 3rd party app that runs quickly normally and returns some data that I use later for processing. However if there are problems the app doesn't return anything and just hangs... then my script also hangs of course, awaiting for the app to comeback. Was wondering how to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: TomSu
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

UNIX file handling issue

I have a huge file semicolon( ; ) separated records are Pipe(|) delimited. e.g abc;def;ghi|jkl;mno;pqr|123;456;789 I need to replace the 50th field(semicolon separated) of each record with 9006. The 50th field can have no value e.g. ;; Can someone help me with the appropriate command. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gurkamal83
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

ISSUE in handling multiple same name files :-(

Dear all, My work is completely stuck cos of the following issue. Please find it here and kindly help me. Task is following: I have set of files with such pattern 1t-rw-rw-r-- 1 emily emily 119 Jun 11 10:45 vgtree_5_1_pfs.root 3t-rw-rw-r-- 1 emily emily 145 Jun 11 10:46 vgtree_5_3_pfs.root... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: emily
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

File handling issue

Hi All, I am running into an issue. I have a very big file. Wants to split it in smaller chunks. This file has multiple header/ trailers. Also, between each header/trailer there are records. Number of records in each header trailer combination can vary. Also, headers can start with... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gurkamal83
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script FTP maintain error handling

Hi, I have ftp script like below How to insert an error handling, If the transfer failed then send mail to me. Actually, I just need the script to send an email if the FTP failed. How to put the email script within FTP script? Thank You Edy (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: edydsuranta
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue handling single quoted argument in shell script.

Below is my script that works fine and prints the desired output: #!/bin/ksh echo "$1" | while IFS= read -r dirpath do echo "DIRR_PATH:$dirpath" install_dir=$install_dir" "$dirpath done echo "Desired Output:$install_dir" Output: ./loopissue.sh... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
10 Replies
CONTROL.CTL(5)							File Formats Manual						    CONTROL.CTL(5)

NAME
control.ctl - specify handling of Usenet control messages DESCRIPTION
The file /etc/news/control.ctl is used to determine what action is taken when a control message is received. It is read by the parsecon- trol script, which is called by all the control scripts. (For an explanation of how the control scripts are invoked, see innd(8).) The file consists of a series of lines; blank lines and lines beginning with a number sign (``#'') are ignored. All other lines consist of four fields separated by a colon: message:from:newsgroups:action The first field is the name of the message for which this line is valid. It should be either the name of the control message, or the word ``all'' to mean that it is valid for all messages. The second field is a shell-style pattern that matches the email address of the person posting the message. (The poster's address is first converted to lowercase.) The matching is done using the shell's case statement; see sh (1) for details. If the control message is ``newgroup'' or ``rmgroup'' then the third field specifies the shell-style pattern that must match the group being created or removed. If the control message is of a different type, then this field is ignored. The fourth field specifies what action to take if this line is selected for the message. The following actions are understood: doit The action requested by the control message should be performed. In most cases the control script will also send mail to usenet. doifarg If the control message has an argument, this is treated as a ``doit'' action. If no argument was given, it is treated as a ``mail'' entry. This is used in ``sendsys'' entries script so that a site can request its own newsfeeds(5) entry by posting a ``sendsys mysite'' article. On the other hand, sendsys ``bombs'' ask that the entire newsfeeds file be sent to a forged reply-to address; by using ``doifarg'' such messages will not be processed automatically. doit=file The action is performed, but a log entry is written to the specified log file, file. If file is the word ``mail'' then the record is mailed. A null string is equivalent to /dev/null. A pathname that starts with a slash is taken as the absolute filename to use as the log. All other pathnames are written to /var/log/news/file.log. The log is written by writelog (see newslog(8)). drop No action is taken; the message is ignored. log A one-line log notice is sent to standard error. Innd normally directs this to the file /var/log/news/errlog. log=file A log entry is written to the specified log file, file, which is interpreted as described above. mail A mail message is sent to the news administrator. Lines are matched in order; the last match found in the file is the one that is used. For example, with the following three lines: newgroup:*:*:drop newgroup:tale@*.uu.net:comp.*|misc.*|news.*|rec.*|sci.*|soc.*|talk.*:doit newgroup:kre@munnari.oz.au:aus.*:mail A newgroup coming from ``tale'' at a UUNET machine will be honored if it is in the mainstream Usenet hierarchy. If ``kre'' posts a new- group message creating ``aus.foo'', then mail will be sent. All other newgroup messages are ignored. HISTORY
Written by Rich $alz <rsalz@uunet.uu.net> for InterNetNews. This is revision 1.8, dated 1996/09/06. SEE ALSO
innd(8), newsfeeds(5), scanlogs(8). CONTROL.CTL(5)