Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Using SED to delete between two blocks.....and then repeating. Post 302451893 by Bashingaway on Wednesday 8th of September 2010 11:53:21 AM
Old 09-08-2010
Cripes what a tw*t I am, of course it's the obvious things you miss when you're still learning.

Thanks Scrutinizer....I'll go off and do 200 press ups now as a stupidity penance.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete blocks with no data..

Hi, I tried this but could not get it... here is what I need I have an xml where I get all the data in blocks but some times I get empty blocks with no data...shown below..I need to delete only those blocks with no data, I tried couple of ways but could not do it..any help is appreciated...... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mgirinath
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete blocks of lines from text file

Hello, Hello Firends, I have file like below. I want to remove selected blocks say abc,pqr,lst. how can i remove those blocks from file. zone abc { blah blah blah } zone xyz { blah blah blah } zone pqr { blah blah blah } (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nrbhole
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

need assistance: sed and repeating patterns

hi, I need to write a command with sed to find all the lines in a file that contain patterns of three or more characters that repeat once and put them inside perenthezes. I cannot tell sed what pattern to look for. it should find repeated patterns automatically. example:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: metalwarrior
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

assitance with sed (repeating patterns)

hi, I need to write a command to look into a text file, find lines that contain patterns of three or more characters that repeat once, and put perenthesizes around them. so for example, the line "123test123" would be changed to "(123)test(123)" and "abcdeabcde" to "(abcde)(abcde)". any hint is... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: metalwarrior
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete Blank Lines Between DHCP Host Blocks

Hi All, I have a dhcpd.conf file that gets static hosts added and removed via a shell script. After sometime, there becomes huge gaps of space ( blank lines ) between each host block. I tried a couple of sed one-liners; but, I can't seem to get the output I'm looking for. Also, I would like... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cstovall
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed Replace a repeating character

I have a text file and every line ends in |^ |^^ |^^^ |^^^^ I need to use sed to make all lines end it |^ regardless of the amount of carrots. The code i was using is: cat FILE | sed 's/\^\^\^/\^/g' But then they threw that curveball at me. Also is there a way to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: insania
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with Sed when repeating characters

Hi all, I'm learning sed (and regular expressions) - My first little program is to replace 3 numbers in a row with 'XXX' This is what I am trying: echo '511' | sed 's/{3}/XXX/' Here is the output: defunct-macbook-pro:~ defunct$ echo '511' | sed 's/{3}/XXX/' 511For some reason, it doesnt... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Defunct
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed Replace repeating pattern

Hi, I have an sqlplus output file using the character ';' as a delimiter and I would like to replace the fields without datas (i.e delimited by ';;') by ';0;' Example: my sqlplus output: 11;22;33;44;;;77;; What I would like to have: 11;22;33;44;0;0;77;0; Thanks in advance for your... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: popesk
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to split this file into blocks and then send these blocks as input to the tool called Yices?

Hello, I have a file like this: FILE.TXT: (define argc :: int) (assert ( > argc 1)) (assert ( = argc 1)) <check> # (define c :: float) (assert ( > c 0)) (assert ( = c 0)) <check> # now, i want to separate each block('#' is the delimeter), make them separate files, and then send them as... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: paramad
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Delete data blocks based on missing combinations

Hello masters, I am filtering data based on completeness. A (Name , Group) combination in File2 is only complete when it has data for all subgroups specified in File1. All incomplete (Name , Group) combinations do not appear in the output. So for example , Name1 Group 1 in File2 is... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: senhia83
6 Replies
UPSCLI_GET(3)							    NUT Manual							     UPSCLI_GET(3)

NAME
upscli_get - retrieve data from a UPS SYNOPSIS
#include <upsclient.h> int upscli_get(UPSCONN_t *ups, int numq, const char **query, int *numa, char ***answer) DESCRIPTION
The upscli_get() function takes the pointer ups to a UPSCONN_t state structure, and the pointer query to an array of numq query elements. It builds a properly-formatted request from those elements and transmits it to upsd(8). Upon success, the response will be split into separate components. A pointer to those components will be returned in answer. The number of usable answer components will be returned in numa. USES
This function implements the "GET" command in the protocol. As a result, you can use it to request many different things from the server. Some examples are: o GET NUMLOGINS <ups> o GET UPSDESC <ups> o GET VAR <ups> <var> o GET TYPE <ups> <var> o GET DESC <ups> <var> o GET CMDDESC <ups> <cmd> QUERY FORMATTING
To generate a request for GET NUMLOGINS su700, you would populate query and numq as follows: int numq; const char *query[2]; query[0] = "NUMLOGINS"; query[1] = "su700"; numq = 2; All escaping of special characters and quoting of elements with spaces is handled for you inside this function. ANSWER FORMATTING
The raw response from upsd to the above query would be NUMLOGINS su700 1. Since this is split up for you, the values work out like this: numa = 3; answer[0] = "NUMLOGINS" answer[1] = "su700" answer[2] = "1" Notice that the value which you seek typically starts at answer[numq]. ERROR CHECKING
This function will check your query against the response from upsd(8). For example, if you send "VAR" "su700" "ups.status", it will expect to see those at the beginning of the response. If the results from upsd do not pass this case-insensitive test against your request, this function will return an error. When this happens, upscli_upserror(3) will return UPSCLI_ERR_PROTOCOL. ANSWER ARRAY LIFETIME
The pointers contained within the answer array are only valid until the next call to a upsclient function which references them. If you need to use data from multiple calls, you must copy it somewhere else first. The answer array and its elements may change locations, so you must not rely on previous addresses. You must only use the addresses which were returned by the most recent call. You also must not attempt to use more than numa elements in answer. Such behavior is undefined, and may yield bogus data or a crash. The array will be deleted after calling upscli_disconnect(3). Any access after that point is also undefined. RETURN VALUE
The upscli_get() function returns 0 on success, or -1 if an error occurs. SEE ALSO
upscli_list_start(3), upscli_list_next(3), upscli_strerror(3), upscli_upserror(3) Network UPS Tools 05/22/2012 UPSCLI_GET(3)