Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: += operator
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers += operator Post 302451122 by astrolux444 on Sunday 5th of September 2010 09:42:07 PM
Old 09-05-2010
+= operator

im new to bash scripting and im just using online tutorials and trial and error. i wanted to write a script to read numbers from a file and find their sum:

Code:
#!/bin/bash

theSum=0
for line in $(cat numbers.txt)
do
	let "theSum = theSum + $line"
	echo "$line"
done

echo "The sum is $theSum"

when i run this it echoes all the numbers but doesnt give me the correct sum and echo $? returns 0. my console output looks like this:

Code:
$ ./test.sh
")syntax error: invalid arithmetic operator (error token is "
The sum is 89

im not sure why i am getting those syntax errors. thanks.

Last edited by pludi; 09-06-2010 at 01:57 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

And operator

I am trying to check two variables and if both are blank I want to set a flag: the_f3_pid=`rsh $target ps -ef | grep "f3.eab" | awk '{print $2}'` the_f7_pid=`rsh $target ps -ef | grep "f7.eab" | awk '{print $2}'` if ; then y=1 fi I get an error: ./script_name: test: 0403-021 ]... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rcarnesiii
4 Replies

2. HP-UX

Or operator with if

hi, i was trying to club to test condition with if. if -o ; then it is giving me error message, i wanted to ask how can we check two condtions with one if. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: babom
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED * operator

1. echo "abc 123 abc" | sed 's/*/X/' yields - X 123 abc Does this mean the "*" operator matches ONLY the first and the entire token - "abc" and replaces with "X" ? 2. echo "123 abc" | sed 's/*/X/' yields - X123 abc What does this indicate about the "*" operator ?? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sinpeak
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

TEST operator help

Hi I want to group like this but syntactic is not right ... Thanks if Like this below does not work properly .. if then : else usage exit 1 fi (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: zam
5 Replies

5. Programming

new operator

Hi, Please clear the 2 questions, 2 Questions, 1) Why the new as a operator? Is there any special reason why it can't be a function like malloc? 2) How are we considering sizeof(),new are as a opearartors? I know + - * / -> , . etc.. are operators, which criteria satisfied by sizeof()... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nagapandi
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

op of logical operator

Why the op of the following code is like this ???? i=4 j=-1 k=0 echo $? echo $? echo $? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: lipun4u
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

su with << operator

All, THe below is my script , when i use this i am getting nothing . could any one help me to know what is the use of the << operator below su - $8 << supo echo "exportsph $2 $1 $3 $4" exportsph $2 $1 $3 $4 supo i also tried as individual command su - userid << supo , when i do... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunkumar_mca
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

equal to operator

Hi, I have the below script executed arg="dir" if "$arg" = "dir" then echo "true" else echo "false" fi Please let me know what happens in the if command. My output is: dir: dir: No such file or directory false which is not the desired output. When i used test command... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: anijan
1 Replies

9. Programming

C++ no match for 'operator []'

I wrote a little students management program using structs, and when I try to compile it, an error appears: luke@luke-desktop:~/Desktop/ProgII$ g++ recStudents.cc recStudents.cc: In function ‘void add(TList&, Tstudent)': recStudents.cc:114: error: no match for ‘operator' in ‘Slist'Here... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Luke Bonham
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed or operator

hi, I got a requirement to change existing script like below to search additional pattern "DB select". i tried using \| opearator but it is not working :(. Below is the existing code echo $(cat ${1} |sed -n '/Error in/ { N N N /Too many/ { p ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shyamxtasy
5 Replies
expr(1B)					     SunOS/BSD Compatibility Package Commands						  expr(1B)

NAME
expr - evaluate arguments as a logical, arithmetic, or string expression SYNOPSIS
/usr/ucb/expr argument... DESCRIPTION
The expr utility evaluates expressions as specified by its arguments. After evaluation, the result is written on the standard output. Each token of the expression is a separate argument, so terms of the expression must be separated by blanks. Characters special to the shell must be escaped. Note: 0 is returned to indicate a zero value, rather than the null string. Strings containing blanks or other special characters should be quoted. Integer-valued arguments may be preceded by a unary minus sign. Internally, integers are treated as 32-bit, two's-complement numbers. The operators and keywords are listed below. Characters that need to be escaped are preceded by `'. The list is in order of increasing precedence, with equal precedence operators grouped within {} symbols. expr | expr Returns the evaluation of the first expr if it is neither NULL nor 0; otherwise, returns the evaluation of the second expr if it is not NULL; otherwise, 0. expr & expr Returns the first expr if neither expr is NULL or 0, otherwise returns 0. expr { =, , , <, <=, != } expr Returns the result of an integer comparison if both arguments are integers, otherwise returns the result of a lexical comparison. expr { +, - } expr Addition or subtraction of integer-valued arguments. expr { , /, % } expr Multiplication, division, or remainder of the integer-valued arguments. string : regular-expression match string regular-expression The two forms of the matching operator above are synonymous. The matching operators : and match compare the first argument with the second argument which must be a regular expression. Regular expression syntax is the same as that of regexp(5), except that all pat- terns are "anchored" (treated as if they begin with ^) and therefore ^ is not a special character, in that context. Normally, the matching operator returns the number of characters matched (0 on failure). Alternatively, the ... pattern symbols can be used to return a portion of the first argument. substr string integer-1 integer-2 Extracts the substring of string starting at position integer-1 and of length integer-2 characters. If integer-1 has a value greater than the length of string, expr returns a null string. If you try to extract more characters than there are in string, expr returns all the remaining characters from string. Beware of using negative values for either integer-1 or integer-2 as expr tends to run forever in these cases. index string character-list Reports the first position in string at which any one of the characters in character-list matches a character in string. length string Returns the length (that is, the number of characters) of string. ( expr ) Parentheses may be used for grouping. EXAMPLES
Example 1 Adding an integer to a shell variable Add 1 to the shell variable a. a='expr $a + 1' Example 2 Returning a path name segment Return the last segment of a path name (that is, the filename part). Watch out for / alone as an argument: expr will take it as the divi- sion operator (see BUGS below). # 'For $a equal to either "/usr/abc/file" or just "file"' expr $a : '.*/ $a Example 3 Using // characters to simplify the expression The addition of the // characters eliminates any ambiguity about the division operator and simplifies the whole expression. # A better representation of example 2. expr //$a : '.*/ Example 4 Returning the value of a variable Returns the number of characters in $VAR. expr $VAR : '.*' EXIT STATUS
expr returns the following exit codes: 0 If the expression is neither NULL nor 0. 1 If the expression is NULL or 0. 2 For invalid expressions. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWscpu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
sh(1), test(1), attributes(5), regexp(5) DIAGNOSTICS
syntax error for operator/operand errors non-numeric argument if arithmetic is attempted on such a string division by zero if an attempt to divide by zero is made BUGS
After argument processing by the shell, expr cannot tell the difference between an operator and an operand except by the value. If $a is an =, the command: expr $a = '=' looks like: expr = = = as the arguments are passed to expr (and they will all be taken as the = operator). The following works: expr X$a = X= Note: the match, substr, length, and index operators cannot themselves be used as ordinary strings. That is, the expression: example% expr index expurgatorious length syntax error example% generates the `syntax error' message as shown instead of the value 1 as you might expect. SunOS 5.11 6 Jun 2000 expr(1B)