Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Executing a script from CRON behaves differently than terminal Post 302450653 by methyl on Friday 3rd of September 2010 11:01:55 AM
Old 09-03-2010
If this is a root cron the files will probably be found in the home directory for the root account unless your script contains a suitable "cd" or your ftp commands contain a suitable "lcd".

Please post the current version of your script.
I think we last saw a version in a previous post.
https://www.unix.com/shell-programmin...tput-file.html

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Why does cron run this differently?

test.ksh =================== #!/usr/bin/ksh APPLICATION=hr_app APPLICATION_UPPER=`echo $APPLICATION | tr ` echo $APPLICATION_UPPER > /tmp/test.txt echo $APPLICATION >> /tmp/test.txt which tr >> /tmp/test.txt =================== When I run this from the shell: /home/natter> more... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: natter
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script behaves different when run from cron vs. manually

Hey all, Just wanted to get some input on a script I am using to import files into a MySQL database. The process is pretty simple: my main server exports these files and FTPs them. I have a script that FTPs them to the machine running that runs this script. The FTP script runs without issue... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: billtwild
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

simple CSH Script behaves differently on Solaris and RedHat Linux

I have a simple csh-script on a Solaris Workstaion which invokes the bc calculator: #!/bin/csh set shz=2 set zshift=5 set shzp=`bc -l <<END \ scale = 3 \ -1. * $shz + $zshift \ END` echo $shzp The result ($shzp) in this case is 3 (-1*2+5). It works fine on Solaris 8. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: two reelers
2 Replies

4. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Awk script in DOS and Linux behaves differently :(

Hi, I have an awk script which performs simple operations of variable assignments and finally printing the variables in custom form. BEGIN {FS=OFS="\n"} { v1=substr($0,1,15) v2=substr($0,16,200) v3=substr($0,216,20) print v1 "|" v2 "|" v3 } The input file being processed... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vidyak
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

su - user -c 'command' behaves differently

I notice that su - user (note with dash) brings in more of the user's environment than does su - user -c 'command'. For example, if root does an su - user, and types "umask" to the prompt, one umask is displayed; yet, if instead the command is su - user -c 'umask', the value is different. I thought... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: drokerm
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

why Cron behaves different ?

Hi, i have script called script.ksh script.ksh --------- echo "Narayana" >$HOME/script.log echo "$0" |sed 's/.ksh//' >>$HOME/script.log My question is: -------------- when iam executing on the prompt it is giving good results what we have expected... example on the prompt:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lnviyyapu
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

executing a shell script everytime the terminal is opened

the problem statement is Write a shell script, which gets executed the moment the user opens a terminal. It should display the message "Hello your_name, welcome to 172.16.4.120 server” How to get around this? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: arindamlive
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script not executing using cron

Hi, I created a script which connects to database and update a table. This script is running fine when i run it manually but when i am trying to execute it scheduling in crontab.script is executing but Data is not getting updated. below is my script sqlplus test/##### >> test_feed.log <<!... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sv0081493
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expect script not executing via cron

Hello All, I'm having an issue getting an expect script to run as a cron job. The script executes fin if I run it from the command line but I get nothing when trying to run it as a cron job. I've researched other forums and threads and there have been references to the environment, or lack... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: KingT617
16 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

'Connect' behaves differently on Solaris 11

Our application fails to run successfully on Solaris 11. The same works fine in Solaris 10. Due to which we are unable to migrate to Solaris 11. The app basically involves forking a child process, which finally connects with parent process. But on Solaris 11, it is unable to connect with parent... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: wini008
0 Replies
script(1)						      General Commands Manual							 script(1)

NAME
script - Makes a transcript of terminal session SYNOPSIS
script [-a] [file] The script command makes a transcript of everything printed on your terminal. OPTIONS
Appends the transcript to file rather than writing it to file. OPERANDS
The name of an output file that will contain the transcript of the session. If this parameter is omitted, the file typescript is written. DESCRIPTION
The transcript is written to file, or appended to file if the -a option is given. If no file name is given, the transcript is saved in the file typescript. The script ends when the forked shell exits. This program is useful when you are using a CRT and want a hard-copy record of the dialog (for example, a technical writer might create an example of a working session this way). If you specify the -a option and the file does not exist, it is created. If you do not specify the -a option and the file exists, it is replaced. RESTRICTIONS
The script command requires a streams based terminal. In single user mode, streams may not be enabled. Under these circumstances, script will exit with no action. If you are the superuser and need to run this command in single user mode, use the following special instruc- tions. Enabling Streams If it is necessary to enable a streams environment in the single user mode, enter the command /sbin/init.d/streams. This command is avail- able to the superuser only. SEE ALSO
Commands: autopush(8), cat(1), echo(1), strsetup(8), tee(1) System Administration script(1)